Undo Built-in Administrator Account tied to a Microsoft Account

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1

    Undo Built-in Administrator Account tied to a Microsoft Account


    Somehow or another I received a computer to work on in which the build is Administrator account has been tied to a MSA. It is Windows 10 Home so I can't get to more advanced options in lusrmgr. I've tried searching and haven't found anything related to this topic; I have no Idea how the MSA was tied to the Admin account and there is no sign out/switch to local option. I tried to reset the Admin account as described here, but it did not remove the MSA.

    Any ideas?
    Thanks in advance.
      My Computer

  2. Brink's Avatar
    Posts : 57,946
    64-bit Windows 10 Pro for Workstations build 21390
       #2

    Hello @Converseallstar95, :)

    Could it be that the built-in Administrator may just be signed in to the Store app with the Microsoft account?

    If so, then you could reset the "Microsoft Store" app back to default to see if that may remove the association.

    Reset App in Windows 10 Apps Features Tutorials

    If not, then check to see if it may be listed using step 3 in Option Two below, and can be removed.

    Add or Delete Account in Windows 10 Mail app Browsers Email Tutorials
      My Computers

  3. cereberus's Avatar
    Posts : 12,126
    Windows10
       #3

    Brink said:
    Hello @Converseallstar95, :)

    Could it be that the built-in Administrator may just be signed in to the Store app with the Microsoft account?

    If so, then you could reset the "Microsoft Store" app back to default to see if that may remove the association.

    Reset App in Windows 10 Apps Features Tutorials

    If not, then check to see if it may be listed using step 3 in Option Two below, and can be removed.

    Add or Delete Account in Windows 10 Mail app Browsers Email Tutorials
    OPs post does not make sense. The built in and normally hidden Administrator account cannot login with an MSA account and does not run uwp apps.

    I think OP is confusing the Administrator account with the default Admin account initially setup which can be a local or MS account - the installer tries very hard to get you to use MSA as we all know.
      My Computer

  4. Bree's Avatar
    Posts : 19,747
    10 Home x64 (21H1) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)
       #4

    Converseallstar95 said:
    Somehow or another I received a computer to work on in which the build is Administrator account has been tied to a MSA....
    This is theoretically not possible. Unfortunately there is one unique set of circumstances in which it can happen. As far as I know Microsoft provide no way of undoing it (as they never intended it to be possible in the first place). @Kari knows the details...

    Kari said:
    I have now replicated your situation and can confirm the loophole in Windows 10 you have accidentally found. I installed Windows 7, activated the built-in administrator account and removed all other user accounts. I then upgraded to Windows 10 which after the upgrade naturally had only this one user account, the built-in administrator account.

    This allowed me to connect the built-in administrator account in Windows 10 to a Microsoft account and use Windows Store to download apps. Notice that because the default restrictions, this is normally not possible; when the built-in admin account is used as it should, not as a sign-in account to Windows but solely for administrative tasks it is not possible to use most of the Windows Apps with it (Store, Edge and so on), and it cannot be converted to a Microsoft Account.

    The loophole you found, activating the built-in admin in previous version and then upgrading to Windows 10 using it seems to override all default security restrictions on the said built-in admin account, making it possible to connect it to a Microsoft account. However, as this is meant never to happen, once you have converted the built-in admin account to a Microsoft account, it is no longer possible to convert it back to a local account. It is absolutely impossible....
    How to remove Microsoft Account from the Hidden Administrator (post #10)
      My Computers

  5. Bree's Avatar
    Posts : 19,747
    10 Home x64 (21H1) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)
       #5

    Brink said:
    Could it be that the built-in Administrator may just be signed in to the Store app with the Microsoft account?
    cereberus said:
    OPs post does not make sense....
    @Brink & @cereberus. Unfortunately for the OP, Kari has shown that not only is it possible, but it's irreversible too
      My Computers

  6. Brink's Avatar
    Posts : 57,946
    64-bit Windows 10 Pro for Workstations build 21390
       #6

    Since the built-in Administrator is a system account, perhaps a repair install may be able to restore it.

    Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade Installation Upgrade Tutorials
      My Computers

  7. Kari's Avatar
    Posts : 17,561
    Windows 10 Pro
       #7

    Brink said:
    Since the built-in Administrator is a system account, perhaps a repair install may be able to restore it.

    Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade Installation Upgrade Tutorials
    No, that will not fix it.

    I've been testing this now quite extensively because I found something that makes me worried; as of version 1709 it is now possible to use UWP apps also when signed in as built-in admin. This was not possible earlier. If tried, an error message like below was shown:

    Undo Built-in Administrator Account tied to a Microsoft Account-image.png

    Now, with full access to UWP apps it means that, although it still is not possible to switch built-in admin account to a Microsoft account from Settings > Accounts, it is now possible to sign to UWP apps with MS account when signed to Windows as built-in admin and from there switch the system account to a Microsoft account when choosing wrong:

    Undo Built-in Administrator Account tied to a Microsoft Account-image.png

    In my opinion this is a serious error, something that should not be possible and allowed.

    When the built-in admin account has been connected to a Microsoft account, the only way to revert it, switch back to a local account is a clean install. The link to switch to a local account is simply missing:

    Undo Built-in Administrator Account tied to a Microsoft Account-image.png

    For repair install, there's nothing to repair; the account is OK and working.

    Kari
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 4
    Thread Starter
       #8

    Brink said:
    Hello @Converseallstar95, :)

    Could it be that the built-in Administrator may just be signed in to the Store app with the Microsoft account?

    If so, then you could reset the "Microsoft Store" app back to default to see if that may remove the association.

    Reset App in Windows 10 Apps Features Tutorials

    If not, then check to see if it may be listed using step 3 in Option Two below, and can be removed.

    Add or Delete Account in Windows 10 Mail app Browsers Email Tutorials
    Hi Brink, thanks for the response; I have checked the Microsoft Store, yet the MSA is NOT signed into the store.

    cereberus said:
    OPs post does not make sense. The built in and normally hidden Administrator account cannot login with an MSA account and does not run uwp apps.

    I think OP is confusing the Administrator account with the default Admin account initially setup which can be a local or MS account - the installer tries very hard to get you to use MSA as we all know.

    Thank you for trying to help; I understand that while my account may look inexperienced (including the typo "build is" rather than "built in"), I am far from it. I did mean the built-in Administrator account is logged in with an MSA, as others have commented on below. Understandably, you didn't know, as it was new information to me as well!
    Bree said:
    This is theoretically not possible. Unfortunately there is one unique set of circumstances in which it can happen. As far as I know Microsoft provide no way of undoing it (as they never intended it to be possible in the first place). @Kari knows the details...

    How to remove Microsoft Account from the Hidden Administrator (post #10)
    My apologies, I wouldn't have posted a new thread if I had found that thread. You may merge them if you'd like.

    Kari said:
    No, that will not fix it.

    I've been testing this now quite extensively because I found something that makes me worried; as of version 1709 it is now possible to use UWP apps also when signed in as built-in admin. This was not possible earlier. If tried, an error message like below was shown:

    Undo Built-in Administrator Account tied to a Microsoft Account-image.png

    Now, with full access to UWP apps it means that, although it still is not possible to switch built-in admin account to a Microsoft account from Settings > Accounts, it is now possible to sign to UWP apps with MS account when signed to Windows as built-in admin and from there switch the system account to a Microsoft account when choosing wrong:

    Undo Built-in Administrator Account tied to a Microsoft Account-image.png

    In my opinion this is a serious error, something that should not be possible and allowed.

    When the built-in admin account has been connected to a Microsoft account, the only way to revert it, switch back to a local account is a clean install. The link to switch to a local account is simply missing:

    Undo Built-in Administrator Account tied to a Microsoft Account-image.png

    For repair install, there's nothing to repair; the account is OK and working.

    Kari
    Here are some screens from the laptop. It sounds like there is no way besides a clean install.

    Screenshot 1: No MSA signed into the Microsoft Store
    Screenshot 2: MSA signed into Administrator account with no option to switch to local
    Screenshot 3: No MSA linked to Email and Accounts
    Screenshot 4: netplwiz options - no option to reset password (since it is an MSA)
    Screenshot 5: netplwiz properties - shows it is the built in account

    Other notes:
    I can load all the UWP apps without error
    If I press forgot password from the login window I am taken to the Cortana reset MSA password experience
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Undo Built-in Administrator Account tied to a Microsoft Account-screenshot-1-.png   Undo Built-in Administrator Account tied to a Microsoft Account-screenshot-2-.png   Undo Built-in Administrator Account tied to a Microsoft Account-screenshot-3-.png   Undo Built-in Administrator Account tied to a Microsoft Account-screenshot-4-.png   Undo Built-in Administrator Account tied to a Microsoft Account-screenshot-5-.png  

      My Computer

  9. Kari's Avatar
    Posts : 17,561
    Windows 10 Pro
       #9

    Converseallstar95 said:
    Here are some screens from the laptop. It sounds like there is no way besides a clean install.

    Screenshot 1: No MSA signed into the Microsoft Store
    Screenshot 2: MSA signed into Administrator account with no option to switch to local
    Screenshot 3: No MSA linked to Email and Accounts
    Screenshot 4: netplwiz options - no option to reset password (since it is an MSA)
    Screenshot 5: netplwiz properties - shows it is the built in account
    Once the built-in admin account has been switched to a Microsoft account, there's no way to switch it back to a local account. Absolutely nothing you can do. Only way to undo it is a clean install.

    Kari
      My Computer


  10. Posts : 4
    Thread Starter
       #10

    Kari said:
    Once the built-in admin account has been switched to a Microsoft account, there's no way to switch it back to a local account. Absolutely nothing you can do. Only way to undo it is a clean install.

    Kari
    Ok; thanks for the help!
      My Computer


 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:30.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums