Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1.    13 Nov 2017 #11
    Join Date : Nov 2017
    Posts : 48
    windows 10
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by dalchina View Post
    They are tools which conveniently allow you to disable context menu entries. Google will help (see my signature)
    this is too advanced and takes too much time. i'l think i just roll back.
    thanks anyway
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    13 Nov 2017 #12
    Join Date : Jan 2015
    UK, Midlands
    Posts : 11,438
    Win 10 Pro (1709)

    If you do roll back, firstly I think updates for 1511 have ended, secondly, unless you disable Windows updates altogether, or have Win 10 Pro and can defer updates (for a while) you will get the upgrade again.

    Using those tools to selectively disable context menu entries to identify which one is causing a problem is quite common, safe and useful.

    Unfortunately Windows in my view isn't a true consumer product, and years ago I determined to have enough tools to hand to deal with common problems I might encounter.

    Of course, you could simply opt to pay someone to sort out the problem, or swap to Apple...!
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    13 Nov 2017 #13
    Join Date : Nov 2017
    Posts : 48
    windows 10
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by dalchina View Post
    If you do roll back, firstly I think updates for 1511 have ended, secondly, unless you disable Windows updates altogether, or have Win 10 Pro and can defer updates (for a while) you will get the upgrade again.

    Using those tools to selectively disable context menu entries to identify which one is causing a problem is quite common, safe and useful.

    Unfortunately Windows in my view isn't a true consumer product, and years ago I determined to have enough tools to hand to deal with common problems I might encounter.

    Of course, you could simply opt to pay someone to sort out the problem, or swap to Apple...!
    i have the pro version of windows.

    but i dont understand how to use that program you are talking about and what it actually does.
    is it hard? i have spended so much time on my windows lately so im really sick of it. it shouldnt be so hard, the windows update should take care of this i think. i dont understand why it couses this problem every time im upgrading
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    13 Nov 2017 #14
    Join Date : Jan 2015
    UK, Midlands
    Posts : 11,438
    Win 10 Pro (1709)

    They list the items in the context menu, and if you rt click 1 or a selected group you can disable them.

    Those items then don't appear in the context menu.

    If one is problematic, you find it by a process of elimination.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	128.4 KB 
ID:	163574

    Plenty of videos on youtube
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	103.5 KB 
ID:	163575
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    13 Nov 2017 #15
    Join Date : Nov 2017
    Posts : 48
    windows 10
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by dalchina View Post
    They list the items in the context menu, and if you rt click 1 or a selected group you can disable them.

    Those items then don't appear in the context menu.

    If one is problematic, you find it by a process of elimination.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	128.4 KB 
ID:	163574

    Plenty of videos on youtube
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	103.5 KB 
ID:	163575
    maybe i will try it. but i havent installed any new programs so that shouldnt bee the problem, i just upgraded from 15.11 to 1703 or something like that.

    update: this is interesting: i discovered that i now can rightcklick and open at least google chrome and firefox as admin in the programs folder i have only tried those 2.
    but from the startmenu its still the same
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    13 Nov 2017 #16
    Join Date : Jan 2015
    UK, Midlands
    Posts : 11,438
    Win 10 Pro (1709)

    But you may have a program that conflicts in some way with 1709.

    However, you now mention the start menu as well.

    Please bear in mind that by comparison with build 1703, 1709 has introduced new problems for some people. Personally, I always wait 2-3 months after a major build until the next major update is out (also 'cos a 3rd party program takes that long before a compatible version is released).

    These threads report similar, esp. 2nd, but with no solution so far.
    In Right click Admin Start menu, some links don't work - Windows 10 Forums
    Can't run programs as Admin from the start menu - Windows 10 Forums

    I have suggested:
    a. try creating a new user and compare your experience
    b. disabling items in the context menu and see if rt click run as admin works.
    (That's pretty quick to try- just hide all MS items - DO NOT DISABLE MS ITEMS- and disable the rest).

    c. I'll add an alternative (for the start menu) which may work if you can't succeed at all- install a really very convenient free start menu many here like that is so much more flexible and configurable than Win 10's - Classic Shell Start menu (free). You can still use Win 10's start menu too.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    13 Nov 2017 #17
    Join Date : Nov 2017
    Posts : 48
    windows 10
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by dalchina View Post
    But you may have a program that conflicts in some way with 1709.

    However, you now mention the start menu as well.

    Please bear in mind that by comparison with build 1703, 1709 has introduced new problems for some people. Personally, I always wait 2-3 months after a major build until the next major update is out (also 'cos a 3rd party program takes that long before a compatible version is released).

    These threads report similar, esp. 2nd, but with no solution so far.
    In Right click Admin Start menu, some links don't work - Windows 10 Forums
    Can't run programs as Admin from the start menu - Windows 10 Forums

    I have suggested:
    a. try creating a new user and compare your experience
    b. disabling items in the context menu and see if rt click run as admin works.
    (That's pretty quick to try- just hide all MS items - DO NOT DISABLE MS ITEMS- and disable the rest).

    c. I'll add an alternative (for the start menu) which may work if you can't succeed at all- install a really very convenient free start menu many here like that is so much more flexible and configurable than Win 10's - Classic Shell Start menu (free). You can still use Win 10's start menu too.
    but i have 1703, not 1709.

    what do you mean: just hide all MS items - DO NOT DISABLE MS ITEMS- and disable the rest).?
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    13 Nov 2017 #18
    Join Date : Nov 2017
    Posts : 48
    windows 10
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by dalchina View Post
    They list the items in the context menu, and if you rt click 1 or a selected group you can disable them.

    Those items then don't appear in the context menu.

    If one is problematic, you find it by a process of elimination.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	128.4 KB 
ID:	163574

    Plenty of videos on youtube
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	103.5 KB 
ID:	163575
    ok so i tried the program. i selected all the ones marked in pink and disabled them.
    after restarting my computer i could run progs from the startmenu as admin.
    by enable them again one by one i found out that my versions of winrar and quicksfv were the badguys here, couse when i enabled the other items the admin-function worked but not when i enabled winrar and/or quicksfv
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  9.    13 Nov 2017 #19
    Join Date : Jan 2015
    UK, Midlands
    Posts : 11,438
    Win 10 Pro (1709)



    Better than rolling back. I've seen quicksfv (whatever that is) mentioned elsewhere in this context.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  10.    13 Nov 2017 #20
    Join Date : Nov 2017
    Posts : 48
    windows 10
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by dalchina View Post


    Better than rolling back. I've seen quicksfv (whatever that is) mentioned elsewhere in this context.
    aha! a naughty little program ey

    ok so now i just need to find replacements for those 2 progs and i hope i will be good after that
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
1703 (os build 15063.296) programs starting with pc issues
howdy, back in march i had an issue with 2 or 3 startup folders n programs not starting with pc issues with an os build update to get no real help, issues either sorted them selves out or i fixed some, now the lates build has recked startup programs...
Software and Apps
Some programs only run at startup from the administrator account.
I find some programs startup is controlled by Task Scheduler rather than from the startup tab in Task Manager or from the app itself. I have a program Asus AI Suite that's startup with Windows appears to be controlled by Task Scheduler. The program...
User Accounts and Family Safety
Version 1703 Build 15063 removes programs?
After updating to version 1703, I noticed that programs were missing. I had previously installed the Win7Games4Win10, which brings back the old Solitaire, Freecell, etc. After the update they were completely gone. Is this something that occurs...
Windows Updates and Activation
certain programs now only work if run as administrator
I have recently had problems getting certain programs to work properly (Alzip, Finale 2012 and others), and I've discovered that somewhere along the line, presumably after the last big Windows 10 upgrade, my permissions must have changed. The result...
User Accounts and Family Safety
Programs that require administrator access
I have a program (game) that I wish to allow a child to run but it requires administrator access to run the program. I don't particularly want to be required to walk over and type in the password every time the child wants to run the game, but I...
User Accounts and Family Safety
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 16:18.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums