Admin user directory truncated name!!


  1. Posts : 110
    Win 10 Pro 64 bit
       #1

    Admin user directory truncated name!!


    I've got my Win10 user account info displayed, it's an admin account and there is my outlook email account attached. When I drill down to my user directory in file explorer under users the directory name is my first name truncated. So for example if the admin account was called Simon Murphy the user directory name is "Simo". I only noticed this after reinstalling Windows several weeks ago.

    I've no idea how this happened but it looks stupid and I'd like to correct this so I'm wondering how do I go about this.
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 1,097
    Windows 10 Home x64 Version 1809 (OS Build 17763.437)
       #2

    You've got my attention. When I set up Gayle's laptop using her first & last name, the user folder got truncated to "Sharo" only. No idea what went on, but have just lived with it.
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 110
    Win 10 Pro 64 bit
    Thread Starter
       #3

    Yes it's weird as it's got my full name for the account correct. Glad it's not just me, don't mean that in a bad way BTW.

    But I have to admit that it's now gotten to me being the fussy git I am So if it can be sorted I'd love to as it's annoying to see my good name being mistreated!!
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 25,024
    10 Home x64 (21H2) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)
       #4

    Gusgf said:
    ...the admin account was called Simon Murphy the user directory name is "Simo". I only noticed this after reinstalling Windows several weeks ago..
    This is normal behaviour if when setting up for the first time you set up as a Microsoft account. It's always uses a shortened version of the email address that's used. It doesn't affect the running of the account in any way, so you could just leave it as it is. There is no way to rename a user folder after an account has been created.

    If you want the account name and user folder names to match, then when creating the account you must first set it up as a local account. You can then make that a Microsoft account.
      My Computers


  5. Posts : 25,024
    10 Home x64 (21H2) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)
       #5

    Gusgf said:
    ...being the fussy git I am So if it can be sorted I'd love to as it's annoying to see my good name being mistreated!!
    You can't - but you can create a new local account in the name you want, transfer the files/documents across, make the old account a local one then make the new one the MS account. Very Important: make the new account an administrator! (if you delete the old one without doing that you won't be able to set up your PC any more.)
      My Computers


  6. Posts : 1,097
    Windows 10 Home x64 Version 1809 (OS Build 17763.437)
       #6

    Thanks Bree. I convinced myself that it's best left alone.
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 110
    Win 10 Pro 64 bit
    Thread Starter
       #7

    Bree said:
    You can't - but you can create a new local account in the name you want, transfer the files/documents across, make the old account a local one then make the new one the MS account. Very Important: make the new account an administrator! (if you delete the old one without doing that you won't be able to set up your PC any more.)
    Thank you great to know this and I may give it a go :)
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:50.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums