Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
  1.    30 Mar 2017 #71
    Join Date : Jul 2016
    Posts : 152
    Window 8.1
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by f14tomcat View Post
    @ship69

    You seemed to be bogged down with a hardware/driver issue that is preventing the task you're trying to do....a clean install. To get past the mSATA SSD driver issue, maybe you could ask that specific question in the thread Drivers and Hardware - Windows 10 Forums , hopefully get an answer from people who frequent that thread and may have a solution. Then come back here.

    It's not thread bumping. It's going to a specific resource looking for a specific fix. No need to repeat all this thread, just the pertinent questions about what/how to get the drivers you need.

    It's only a suggestion.

    OK, I'll try...

    many thanks
    J
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    30 Mar 2017 #72
    Join Date : Dec 2013
    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 10,413
    Windows 10 IoT

    Quote Originally Posted by ship69 View Post
    I'm afraid you've totally lost me now. Where would I get a chip-set driver or mSata driver on Samsung and how do I know if I've got the correct one? And what happens if I install the wrong one? (And do I need to install firmware too???)

    I think my SSD is a "PM841" but I had a look online for my SSD on Samsung and couldn't find anything helpful - it was all deeply confusing. [grrr!]
    It's asking for a driver that isn't already on the install DVD. I'm guessing, just guessing, its for the mSATA drive. The driver for that drive is actually a driver for the interface, not the drive itself. It's for the mSATA controller on the motherboard. Like I said though its honestly just a guess or hunch that that's what its wanting. Usually if its the driver for your USB optical drive that it wants it will say a "A required CD/DVD device driver is missing".
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    30 Mar 2017 #73
    Join Date : Dec 2013
    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 10,413
    Windows 10 IoT

    Quote Originally Posted by ship69 View Post
    So "diskpart" is part of Window itself and you access it through the command line, yes?
    If so where would I access it from?
    It seems to me that what I need either way is a driver for the SSD, no?

    Or should I try to rebuild the Windows DVD again? Or try harder to get the Flash drive turned into Windows recovery drive.
    I'm starting to run out of options!
    Yes you open Command Prompt "as admin". Then just type diskpart and hit enter. Option 2 here, https://www.eightforums.com/tutorial...e-windows.html
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    30 Mar 2017 #74
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Arnold, MD
    Posts : 28,966
    Triple boot - Win 10 Pro, Win 10 Pro Insider (2) - (and a sprinkling of VMs)

    Quote Originally Posted by alphanumeric View Post
    Yes you open Command Prompt "as admin". Then just type diskpart and hit enter. Option 2 here, https://www.eightforums.com/tutorial...e-windows.html
    I know this will cause controversy, and I only mention it as an easy alternative that works. Rufus can quickly and safely create a bootable USB flash drive, without any command line work. It's only a suggestion, not meant to cause anything negative at all.

    Rufus - Create bootable USB drives the easy way
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  5.    30 Mar 2017 #75
    Join Date : Dec 2013
    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 10,413
    Windows 10 IoT

    That may work. I think his issue was the MCT wouldn't use the thumb drive he had. Likely because it has a bit set to make it show as a Fixed disk instead of the normal Removable media. If that's true RUFUS will likely reject it also. The Windows 7 DVD download Tool will reject those thumb drives too. I have a couple of Sandisk drives that show up that way. The MCT and the 7 DVD tool won't use them. All my Kingston drives work just fine though.
    I like using diskpart because I can make one drive and use it on both UEFI and Legacy. The downside of diskpart is if your not carful you can erase the wrong drive. I did try RUFUS a while back. It works but you can easily get a setting wrong and end up with a drive that doesn't work.
    My ASUS laptop that is UEFI will boot from a Fat32 or NTFS formatted thumb drive and install in UEFI from either. Most PC's won't do that, they want Fat32 for UEFI installs.
    My Wife's Acer is very fussy. The only thumb drive I could get it to boot from was one I did with diskpart. Any other way and it wouldn't boot off of it.

    The other reason I like using diskpart is, with the MCT, if you want to create more than one thumb drive it wants to download the ISO fresh every time. You have to start over from the beginning each time. Big waist of time. I just download to an ISO file. Then use diskpart to create my thumb drives. I customize my install media to each PC and end up with a thumb drive for each PC. I use a PID.txt file to install the specific version of 10 I want and bypass the OEM keys.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    30 Mar 2017 #76
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Arnold, MD
    Posts : 28,966
    Triple boot - Win 10 Pro, Win 10 Pro Insider (2) - (and a sprinkling of VMs)

    Quote Originally Posted by alphanumeric View Post
    That may work. I think his issue was the MCT wouldn't use the thumb drive he had. Likely because it has a bit set to make it show as a Fixed disk instead of the normal Removable media. If that's true RUFUS will likely reject it also. The Windows 7 DVD download Tool will reject those thumb drives too. I have a couple of Sandisk drives that show up that way. The MCT and the 7 DVD tool won't use them. All my Kingston drives work just fine though.
    I like using diskpart because I can make one drive and use it on both UEFI and Legacy. The downside of diskpart is if your not carful you can erase the wrong drive. I did try RUFUS a while back. It works but you can easily get a setting wrong and end up with a drive that doesn't work.
    My ASUS laptop that is UEFI will boot from a Fat32 or NTFS formatted thumb drive and install in UEFI from either. Most PC's won't do that, they want Fat32 for UEFI installs.
    My Wife's Acer is very fussy. The only thumb drive I could get it to boot from was one I did with diskpart. Any other way and it wouldn't boot off of it.

    The other reason I like using diskpart is, with the MCT, if you want to create more than one thumb drive it wants to download the ISO fresh every time. You have to start over from the beginning each time. Big waist of time. I just download to an ISO file. Then use diskpart to create my thumb drives. I customize my install media to each PC and end up with a thumb drive for each PC. I use a PID.txt file to install the specific version of 10 I want and bypass the OEM keys.
    All valid points. Just FYI....the latest version of Rufus has gotten a lot smarter and will default to proper settings based on the ISO chosen and OS of the box. Not totally foolproof, nothing is, but real close.

    That "removable" bit can get messed up real bad if you try to take a brand new thumb (default factory FAT32) and try to format NTFS. I've seen 64GB thumbs turned into 8GB doorstops.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  7.    30 Mar 2017 #77
    Join Date : Dec 2013
    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 10,413
    Windows 10 IoT

    I've formatted my thumb drives in FAT and NTFS with no issues. Switched back and forth a few times too. I have a 64 GB Kingston Hyper X I want to switch the bit on but can't. It's in the firmware of the drive. The official Windows To Go Utility will only use thumb drives that are set to Fixed Disk. It rejects normal drives set as removable media. It won't let me use my 64 gig Hyper X, but will use my slow poke 5400 RPM IDE Laptop drive in an external USN enclosure. The Official WTG certified drives have the bit set to fixed disk, and cost about twice as much as a normal drive the same size.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    30 Mar 2017 #78
    Join Date : Jul 2016
    Posts : 152
    Window 8.1
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by f14tomcat View Post
    I know this will cause controversy, and I only mention it as an easy alternative that works. Rufus can quickly and safely create a bootable USB flash drive, without any command line work. It's only a suggestion, not meant to cause anything negative at all.

    Rufus - Create bootable USB drives the easy way
    I ran Rufus on my Windows 7 PC. Rufus can see the Memory stick and formatted it (I think), but the Media Creation Tool is still failing to see it. [GRRR!]

    Fwiw, memory stick is Kingston 32GB. Is that too high for Windows 7 or MediaCreationTool to see?
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  9.    30 Mar 2017 #79
    Join Date : Dec 2013
    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 10,413
    Windows 10 IoT

    Quote Originally Posted by ship69 View Post
    I ran Rufus on my Windows 7 PC. Rufus can see the Memory stick and formatted it (I think), but the Media Creation Tool is still failing to see it. [GRRR!]

    Fwiw, memory stick is Kingston 32GB. Is that too high for Windows 7 or MediaCreationTool to see?
    I don't think there is a size cap? I haven't used the MCT in a while now and the biggest drive I've used was 16 gig. MVP's get a free MSDN subscription from Microsoft so I usually just use my MSDN ISO's and skip using the MCT.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  10.    30 Mar 2017 #80
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Arnold, MD
    Posts : 28,966
    Triple boot - Win 10 Pro, Win 10 Pro Insider (2) - (and a sprinkling of VMs)

    Quote Originally Posted by ship69 View Post
    I ran Rufus on my Windows 7 PC. Rufus can see the Memory stick and formatted it (I think), but the Media Creation Tool is still failing to see it. [GRRR!]

    Fwiw, memory stick is Kingston 32GB. Is that too high for Windows 7 or MediaCreationTool to see?
    Quote Originally Posted by alphanumeric View Post
    I don't think there is a size cap? I haven't used the MCT in a while now and the biggest drive I've used was 16 gig. MVP's get a free MSDN subscription from Microsoft so I usually just use my MSDN ISO's and skip using the MCT.
    I must really be missing something here. The Media Creation Tool allows for the creation of an ISO, and even allows you to create it wherever you want to. Same drive or navigate to an external and create it there. Doesn't destroy anything, just creates an ISO file. If Rufus can see the thumb and burn to it, there's the install media. I just did it.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2017-03-30_09h25_14.png 
Views:	2 
Size:	334.1 KB 
ID:	127266
      My ComputersSystem Spec

 
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Solved How can I trace a boot from power on to login?
All of a sudden my SSD laptop went from 8 second boot times to 16 seconds for no reason at all. It is hanging for quite some time before the login screen so I want to see what is going on there. Is there a way to trace the boot to see where it is...
General Support
Windows 10 Pro. Force the Login Screen to appear on every Boot-up.
This is a "Real Question" though it may not sound like one. I have a User whose Surface Pro has two user accounts. One is her Microsoft Account, one is a "local account". The purpose for the local account is to provide her with a way to open...
User Accounts and Family Safety
Solved Invalid login credentials on boot
Hello, My Windows 10 was automatically logging me in, until recently, when it started showing me the following "The username and password is invalid. Please try again" http://i.imgur.com/BLM98pk.jpg << Screenshot Then it asks me to enter...
User Accounts and Family Safety
Solved How do Local and Microsoft login effect my PC's login from a boot.
I should be grateful for any help. At the moment I have a Local login and I am considering changing to a Microsoft login. If I do, does this mean that when my PC starts from a boot, that instead of the pin that I use to login to my account on the...
Installation and Upgrade
Solved How to boot to login screen rather than account?
I've built a new PC last week, and installed Windows 10 to it (upgraded from a legitimate 7). Now I've made several accounts for me and someone else (work, play etc) and now I have an issue logging in. Whenever I (re)boot the PC, it boots...
User Accounts and Family Safety
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:03.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums