Windows 10: Sudden switch from Local User to MS account - can not switch back Solved

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
  1.    21 Mar 2017 #1

    Sudden switch from Local User to MS account - can not switch back


    I am not sure what happened here but I have been using Local User to sign in for a couple of years since I installed Windows 10 but suddenly after a reboot, I am now forced to use MS account login. Note, for my initial install, I did use a MS account but then I did not like it and was able to change it to Local user and was using that ever since.

    I have searched for solutions but can not find anything that works. Trying to change it directly via the settings/account results in:
    Error code (0x80004005) and message: "We're sorry, but something went wrong. Your Microsoft Account wasn't changed to a local account."

    I have also tried adding another 'family member' account and get this error:
    "We couldn't connect to Microsoft family right now, so your family on this device might not be up to date."
    Clicking on add a family member at this point anyway, opens a box that says 'Something went wrong'.


    Any solutions that I did try from other sources have not helped.

    Does anyone have any idea if this suddenly came with a Windows update, or something I did to myself? Any armstrong ways to fix this and get back to a Local User for sign on to Windows?

    Thanks,
    Larry
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    21 Mar 2017 #2

    lrw said: View Post
    I am not sure what happened here but I have been using Local User to sign in for a couple of years since I installed Windows 10 but suddenly after a reboot, I am now forced to use MS account login. Note, for my initial install, I did use a MS account but then I did not like it and was able to change it to Local user and was using that ever since.

    I have searched for solutions but can not find anything that works. Trying to change it directly via the settings/account results in:
    Error code (0x80004005) and message: "We're sorry, but something went wrong. Your Microsoft Account wasn't changed to a local account."

    I have also tried adding another 'family member' account and get this error:
    "We couldn't connect to Microsoft family right now, so your family on this device might not be up to date."
    Clicking on add a family member at this point anyway, opens a box that says 'Something went wrong'.


    Any solutions that I did try from other sources have not helped.

    Does anyone have any idea if this suddenly came with a Windows update, or something I did to myself? Any armstrong ways to fix this and get back to a Local User for sign on to Windows?

    Thanks,
    Larry
    Hi Larry and welcome to Tenforums.
    MS servers were having problems today; probably why you got those errors.
    Please try now - everything seems to be back in working order.
    Switch to Local Account in Windows 10
    .
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    21 Mar 2017 #3

    And still getting the 'We couldn't connect to MicroSoft Family right now ...'

    Larry
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    22 Mar 2017 #4

    simrick said: View Post
    Hi Larry and welcome to Tenforums.
    MS servers were having problems today; probably why you got those errors.
    Please try now - everything seems to be back in working order.
    Switch to Local Account in Windows 10
    .
    Nope, Still getting the same: Error code (0x80004005) and message: "We're sorry, but something went wrong. Your Microsoft Account wasn't changed to a local account."

    Larry
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    22 Mar 2017 #5

    Okay, let's see if your system files are intact, and let's also make sure there's nothing lurking on your system.

    Open an admin command prompt (right-click the start button), and enter
    Code:
    sfc /scannow
    When it finishes, we are looking for the results: No integrity violations found

    Then, create a restore point.

    Then, download ADWCLeaner. Install it. Run the SCAN and post the log (found in C:\AdwCleaner\)
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    22 Mar 2017 #6

    Thanks simrick,
    sfc /scannow came back
    Verification 100% complete.

    Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.

    I will continue with the restore point and ADWCleaner ...
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    22 Mar 2017 #7

    lrw said: View Post
    Thanks simrick,
    sfc /scannow came back
    Verification 100% complete.

    Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.

    I will continue with the restore point and ADWCleaner ...
    Sounds good.

    Make sure you only run the SCAN in ADWCleaner, and not CLEAN yet - I would like to see the log first.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    22 Mar 2017 #8

    ADWCleaner log


    I have attached the ADWCleaner log. Note that I changed my username to >>>>>>.
    Sudden switch from Local User to MS account - can not switch back Attached Files
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9.    22 Mar 2017 #9

    If you have TweakBit Driver Updater on the system, please uninstall it using Programs and Features in Control Panel.

    Open Internet Explorer. Under Tools>Options, the second tab "Security", click Reset All Zones to Default Level.

    Run ADWCleaner again, and this time SCAN, then CLEAN. The system will reboot.

    Run JRT.

    Run Ccleaner Free on your registry, (run it as many times as necessary until it finds nothing), checking all boxes except Help Files. Then go to Tools>Startup>Scheduled Tasks, and look for any leftover TweakBit tasks, and disable them.

    Make sure Fast Startup is turned off.

    Reboot the system.

    Now go into Control Panel>User Accounts and see if you can create a new local account. It does not need to have admin rights at this point.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  10.    22 Mar 2017 #10

    What's your account page look like?
    Is your MS Account 'Verified'?

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	verify-your-windows-10-pc.png 
Views:	20 
Size:	79.3 KB 
ID:	126287
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Related Threads
I have windows 10 Pro, and a Microsoft account, and a local account, How do I switch back and forth easily, without a hassle? When I did that a couple days ago, when I switched back to my local account, it wanted a new user name for the local...
Is It Practical To Switch Back To Win 7? in Installation and Upgrade
I have so many problems with Win 10 that I want to change back to Win 7. Is it practical to do a clean install of Win 7 after previously migrating all my programs to Win 10? Will I just have to go back to Win 10 in the future?
When I start my computer my old icons come up not my new windows 10 apps. Can someone walk me through how to get it back. I am talking about the little box where search would be on your taskbar and you can switch back and forth. I am getting...
User Accounts Switch to Local Account in Windows 10 in Tutorials
How to Switch to a Local Account from a Microsoft Account in Windows 10 You can sign in to Windows 10 with a local account or a Microsoft account. However, you can easily switch between using a local account or a Microsoft account to sign in to...
Cant Switch to local account in User Accounts and Family Safety
Hello so when i first got windows 10 i had a local account and used it as normal then for some reason i added my microsoft account and now everytime i log in i need to use the microsoft account, just now i tried to switch it to the local account and...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 00:25.
Find Us