Windows 10: PIN and password don't work after latest update
Before login, click the small eye symbol icon on the right corner of the password box, check if your typed password is correct.
I hope I am on the right thread here! I have a HP Compaq 8200 Elite PC which I got second hand but refurbished. Win 7 or 8 when I got it and took the Win10 upgrade option(AAAAAAARGH!!!) Somehow managed to get a password on it accidentally during setup, so chose nothing as the password which was accepted by the system. I am the only user. ie no admin etc. After about a month it told me to change the password, so rather than arguing with it I put in a password. Easy, no problem. Then I went away for four months in May and came back this week. I get as far as the blue page for the password and enter password and it tells me it is wrong. I KNOW it is one of three passwords but it will not accept any. I have tried the microsoft website and logged on to that with this laptop, tried using that same password on the PC to no avail. So I cannot even get into my PC to change anything or tell what system is, other than I am sure it is 32bit. I feel as though something's gone rusty, or microsoft is trying me out as per the suspicions/conspiracy theories out there. Any suggestions please?
Used the little eye symbol to check my typing and it is ok. Finally ended up getting welcome screen after several attempts but it ended up going back to the log in screen again so seems like system has gone rusty after no use for several months. At least I know I had the password right!
It's quite odd.
Try to enable the built-in local administrator account, so you won't be locked out of your PC:
Administrator account - Enable or Disable in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums
Or reset your Microsoft account password, or switch to a local account:
Reset Forgotten Microsoft Account Password for Windows 10 / 8
Additionally, your Microsoft account password should be less than 16 characters:
I like to keep it simple so I always use enough to be safe but never 16.
Thanks anyway but I am no closer yet.
Remove and Add PIN
I had this same problem with 3 of my own Windows 10 PC's that had PIN's set for Log-in. I tried numerous suggestions to no avail. THIS WORKED FOR ME: Remove and Add your PIN again.
- On the login screen, click on "Sign-in options", and try to login to Windows with your Microsoft account or local account "Password".
- Click on Windows icon on the bottom-right corner, on the top of Start Menu, click on your account icon, and then select "Change account settings".
- On the left-side panel of Accounts settings, select "Sign-in options".
- On this page you have a number of "options" "Require sign-in", "Windows Hello", "Password" and then comes "PIN".
- Directly below "PIN", you will see two buttons: "Change" and "Remove". Click on "Remove".
- You will be asked "Are you sure you want to remove your PIN?" etc, etc. Below all this you will find two more buttons: "Remove" and "Cancel". Click on "Remove".
- A Log-in Box now opens for you to re-enter your "Password". Enter your password then click "OK".
- You will be returned to the "Sign-in options" page where you can now "Add" a "PIN" once again.
- Enter your new PIN and confirm PIN, click on "OK" to reset your new PIN for your Windows Sign-in.
- Please be sure to Restart your PC and Sign-in with your new PIN to confirm.
I hope you find success with this one, Mike
When windows 10 was first released I downloaded it and burned to DVD using the media creation tool from Microsoft.
As windows 10 has now had a major update, and I want to create a DVD with that update on it, without having to...
I have a password that contained ctrl+backspace in the series, but when I upgraded from windows 7 to 10 that character was no longer supported. I can not log in or change my password now.
Any idea how to either revert back to 7 to change it, or...
Hi there, new member big problem.
I recently upgraded to Win 10 Pro and things have been going very smoothly until I jumped the gun on something and made a big mistake.
I have been using my Windows Live e-mail and password to log-in to...
I have a decent FAST internet -- but latest update (only a security update) seems to be taking LONGER than the ENTIRE update I did going from 10162 to 10240.
15 mins and STILL only at 6% ??? for a small security update.
I know my...
after the latest batch of updates Touch appears to be working reasonably even from a VM -- from the task bar Touch apps (including the start menu) work from the touch screen and apps work OK from the desktop icons or from the quick...