Windows 10: How to stop nuisance requirement to sign in after sleep - sole user.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  1. Posts : 172
    Windows 10 Home 64 bit (with Creators OS)
       16 Aug 2016 #1

    How to stop nuisance requirement to sign in after sleep - sole user.


    I don't have to sign in when starting the computer. No problem there.

    But after having a clean re-install of Windows 10 (Anniversary Upgrade), (after having an SSD installed) I now have a picture of a tree trunk. To get rid of that I press the Space Bar. Then I get a stylised shape representing the place for a user picture, then below that the name of the computer, and below that a rectangular box with "Sign in". I have to move the mouse pointer to that box and click. After all that fuss I see my Desktop. None of that happened before the SSD and the Windows 10 + Anniv. Upgrade was installed.

    I have done Settings > Sign-in options > followed by a list of irrelevant things: Windows Hello, Password, PIN, Picture password, Privacy. Nothing about signing in.

    Following a tenforums tutorial I pressed Windows key+R and entered netplwiz, I unchecked "Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer". Under that is my computer name and under "Group" is "Administrator". I pressed OK and got "Password for [computer name] and "To change a password, press Cterl-Alt-Del and select change"password. I don't have, want or need a password. I am the sole user and administrator of this machine.

    I therefore pressed OK and nothing happens.

    I have had no luck with other tenforums tutorial options nor Internet pages offering a solution. I am not keen to fiddle with the Registry - too dangerous for me.

    I am still stuck with this nuisance. How can I get rid of that sign-in bother please? It wasn't a problem before.

    Thanks.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 20,783
    64-bit Windows 10 Pro build 16199
       16 Aug 2016 #2

    Hello Steve,

    Have you already tried this below to turn off requiring a password on wakeup?

    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1...dows-10-a.html
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  3.    16 Aug 2016 #3

    You can disable the Lock screen but for me I hit the keyboard once which turns off the lockscreen and brings up the Pin Pad and I type my pin and Windows loads . 5 keys isn't bad but I haven't looked further into totally disabling Passwords like I had in win7.


    Lock Screen - Enable or Disable in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  4. Posts : 172
    Windows 10 Home 64 bit (with Creators OS)
    Thread Starter
       17 Aug 2016 #4

    Brink said: View Post
    Hello Steve,

    Have you already tried this below to turn off requiring a password on wakeup?

    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1...dows-10-a.html
    Yes, I did, but in Option 1, after "change advanced power settings", "Change settings that are unavailable" does not appear, and no choices are greyed out and none concern sign-in.

    Option 2 just concerns the sleep times.

    This is weird. I have the Anniversary Upgrade. Could Option 1 be not yet ready for that?

    EDIT (in red). The first option I refer to above is 1(I got muddled over the option numbers). Also, I have Windows 10 Home Premium.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  5. Posts : 172
    Windows 10 Home 64 bit (with Creators OS)
    Thread Starter
       17 Aug 2016 #5

    Kbird said: View Post
    You can disable the Lock screen but for me I hit the keyboard once which turns off the lockscreen and brings up the Pin Pad and I type my pin and Windows loads . 5 keys isn't bad but I haven't looked further into totally disabling Passwords like I had in win7.


    Lock Screen - Enable or Disable in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums
    Thanks, but the first two options are not included in Home Premium editions of Window 10, and the third will only do it with certain previously setup settings
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    17 Aug 2016 #6

    Stevekir said: View Post
    Yes, I did, but in Option 1, after "change advanced power settings", "Change settings that are unavailable" does not appear, and no choices are greyed out and none concern sign-in.

    Option 2 just concerns the sleep times.

    This is weird. I have the Anniversary Upgrade. Could Option 1 be not yet ready for that?

    EDIT (in red). The first option I refer to above is 1(I got muddled over the option numbers). Also, I have Windows 10 Home Premium.

    Not Sure , Brink may know more, as I have all 3 ways on my AU Pro System 1511_545 system to disable password from Sleep.

    *** editted , this system has not been offered AU yet.
    Last edited by Kbird; 17 Aug 2016 at 17:15.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    17 Aug 2016 #7

    Stevekir said: View Post
    Thanks, but the first two options are not included in Home Premium editions of Window 10, and the third will only do it with certain previously setup settings
    True, Home does not have the Group Policy Editor which is why Brink included the 2 .reg Files for Home Users ... Option 2

    download both the files , right click on the Disable version and Merge it into the Registry. (double left Clicking should work too)

    if it doesn't work or you don't like it use the Enable version to put it back to normal.


    Lock Screen - Enable or Disable in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums



    ***edit..... the .reg file works for my system to disable the lock screen just fine.
    Last edited by Kbird; 17 Aug 2016 at 10:37.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  8. Posts : 20,783
    64-bit Windows 10 Pro build 16199
       17 Aug 2016 #8

    Stevekir said: View Post
    Yes, I did, but in Option 1, after "change advanced power settings", "Change settings that are unavailable" does not appear, and no choices are greyed out and none concern sign-in.

    Option 2 just concerns the sleep times.

    This is weird. I have the Anniversary Upgrade. Could Option 1 be not yet ready for that?

    EDIT (in red). The first option I refer to above is 1(I got muddled over the option numbers). Also, I have Windows 10 Home Premium.
    Hello Steve,

    It appears Microsoft made changes to all this. I have updated the tutorial below to help.

    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1...dows-10-a.html
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  9. Posts : 172
    Windows 10 Home 64 bit (with Creators OS)
    Thread Starter
       18 Aug 2016 #9

    Brink said: View Post
    Hello Steve,

    It appears Microsoft made changes to all this. I have updated the tutorial below to help.

    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1...dows-10-a.html
    The window I get in the sign-in is different from the one shown in your new tutorial. Please see the attachment.

    The red text (in my attachment) strongly implies that I must set a password to allow access to the change I want to make. My computer was set up by my computer shop in exactly the same way as my earlier computer (which it replaced) to make me the Administrator - I never need to use a password. As I am the sole user (desktop machine.) I don't want a password, because setting one might require me to use it every time I start up the computer (which doesn't happen at present - I don't even have to log on) or require a password at other times, all of which would be a nuisance. Once a PW is set, the machine might insist on it being used somewhere.

    Is there any way for me to use the computer without any PW, set or required?

    If not, would I need to press ADD (my attachment) and go through setting an (unnecessary) PW? What use would it have (apart from getting me to the next window? Would it cause a nuisance elsewhere?

    Thanks.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sign-in.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	44.9 KB 
ID:	96844
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  10. Posts : 20,783
    64-bit Windows 10 Pro build 16199
       18 Aug 2016 #10

    Interesting. If you create a password, do you have the option available afterwards?
      My ComputersSystem Spec


 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Related Threads
So I was Dumb and changed the drive that had my user profile to another letter. Now i Can't log in. Please help.
How do I make search stop telling me to sign in. in User Accounts and Family Safety
I know that a huge part of Windows 10 is that they are trying to make it all on the cloud, but I feel MUCH more secure with everything on my computer. I will want to use the cloud for some things, but not for everything. The thing I want to avoid...
I would like to be able to access my computer without signing in every time. How do I disable the sign-in requirement?
How to disable the sign in requirement in User Accounts and Family Safety
How to remove the e-mail account from Windows 10, or how to disable the sign in requirement. 47192 I followed the instructions but it did not work. 47193
Sole User and not showing under ThisPc/C/Users in User Accounts and Family Safety
Instead of myself, what I have under Users, is a folder that I had from windows 7 in my network. It was Users/Desktop/MyBaby. When I upgraded to Win10 it added that under Users. My name is nowhere in that win 10 Users folder. I just downloaded...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 22:53.
Find Us