1.    11 Jun 2016 #1
    Join Date : Jun 2016
    Posts : 4
    Win10

    User Account settings screen, in endless loop


    I am trying to fix a friends computer that was upgraded to win10 automatically (not sure from what os before). It's an HP laptop and a mess, fixed most issues but can't figure this one.

    Start menu... settings... user accounts

    On this screen it should show the account settings but it is in an endless loop, the progress bar on the top with the moving circles keeps going and going, for over an hour now sitting on this screen. The screen is blank. It's the "Your Email and Accounts" tab. First in the list.

    Is there a known fix for this? Thank you for any help
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    11 Jun 2016 #2
    Join Date : Jun 2016
    Posts : 4
    Win10
    Thread Starter

    I did find some other topics about this problem but no solutions. Only to repair the windows installation. I cannot lose any of the applications installed so this is not an option. I hope there is another solution somewhere.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    11 Jun 2016 #3
    Join Date : Apr 2015
    Posts : 12,942
    W10Prox64

    Quote Originally Posted by stevej0bs View Post
    I am trying to fix a friends computer that was upgraded to win10 automatically (not sure from what os before). It's an HP laptop and a mess, fixed most issues but can't figure this one.

    Start menu... settings... user accounts

    On this screen it should show the account settings but it is in an endless loop, the progress bar on the top with the moving circles keeps going and going, for over an hour now sitting on this screen. The screen is blank. It's the "Your Email and Accounts" tab. First in the list.

    Is there a known fix for this? Thank you for any help
    Quote Originally Posted by stevej0bs View Post
    I did find some other topics about this problem but no solutions. Only to repair the windows installation. I cannot lose any of the applications installed so this is not an option. I hope there is another solution somewhere.
    Hi stevej0bs and welcome to Tenforums.
    You can try a repair install using an in-place upgrade. That will retain all applications and data. But, it's always a good idea to have a backup before doing anything like this, just in case. Just watch the video - it's a very easy thing to do. Please ask if you have any questions.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    11 Jun 2016 #4
    Join Date : Jun 2016
    Posts : 4
    Win10
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by simrick View Post
    Hi stevej0bs and welcome to Tenforums.
    You can try a repair install using an in-place upgrade. That will retain all applications and data. But, it's always a good idea to have a backup before doing anything like this, just in case. Just watch the video - it's a very easy thing to do. Please ask if you have any questions.
    I overlooked the part it said it keeps apps and settings. Thanks for that link. I'd rather not do this if I do not have to, but I guess I have no other options...
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    12 Jun 2016 #5
    Join Date : Apr 2015
    Posts : 12,942
    W10Prox64

    Quote Originally Posted by stevej0bs View Post
    I overlooked the part it said it keeps apps and settings. Thanks for that link. I'd rather not do this if I do not have to, but I guess I have no other options...
    It's really painless - I've done it several times on machines, and advised others here on the forums to do it, and it works well. Always resolved the problems I was fighting.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    12 Jun 2016 #6
    Join Date : Jun 2016
    Posts : 4
    Win10
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by simrick View Post
    It's really painless - I've done it several times on machines, and advised others here on the forums to do it, and it works well. Always resolved the problems I was fighting.
    Besides the user account screen the laptop appears to be working fine. I'm charging my friend's mom an hourly rate and I don't want to charge too much I've already done a lot. This older model HP laptop she claims updated itself to win10, and was a total disaster with compatibility issues like the fingerprint scanner causing the cursor to be corrupted and the process starting and stopping in the background every 5 seconds. Other older drivers that weren't updated or not compatible. I'll give it back to her and say to bring it back if something messes up again, I'll do that repair. I am a mac guy and not that familiar with win10, I just installed it last month on my gaming pc but don't use it for anything else so the OS is still new to me. Thanks again.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    12 Jun 2016 #7
    Join Date : Apr 2015
    Posts : 12,942
    W10Prox64

    Quote Originally Posted by stevej0bs View Post
    Besides the user account screen the laptop appears to be working fine. I'm charging my friend's mom an hourly rate and I don't want to charge too much I've already done a lot. This older model HP laptop she claims updated itself to win10, and was a total disaster with compatibility issues like the fingerprint scanner causing the cursor to be corrupted and the process starting and stopping in the background every 5 seconds. Other older drivers that weren't updated or not compatible. I'll give it back to her and say to bring it back if something messes up again, I'll do that repair. I am a mac guy and not that familiar with win10, I just installed it last month on my gaming pc but don't use it for anything else so the OS is still new to me. Thanks again.
    Well, I'm sure you will see what a great OS W10 is on your gaming pc, and you'll be hooked for sure! And, this is THE PLACE to come for help!

    If you have any issues, please ask here. Hopefully the repair install will fix everything. Good luck!

    p.s. Thanks for the rep.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Endless boot loop after reset
Ok so basically, after successfully installing windows 10 from windows 7, I decided to clean my hard drive and reset windows because I deleted my "edge" and thus my apps were not working. The problem then started, the reset went fine until it...
Installation and Upgrade
Solved Local account log in problem - "Signing Off" endless loop
Recently upgraded my Toshiba Satellite NB 10A-laptop from Windows 8.1 to Win 10 and have been logging in via my Hotmail account. Went to settings to set up Local Account, completed the password settings. Then had the choice to Sign Off or Cancel....
User Accounts and Family Safety
Help my laptop stuck in endless fixing repair loop
In computer terms I am equivalent to a preschool child. So I would appreciate an easy to understand answer as much as possible. I ran the window 10 installation last night on my Lenovo Y50 laptop. Today it is stuck in an endless loop of trying to...
Installation and Upgrade
Solved stuck in endless update loop between builds 10532 and 10547
I am currently stuck on build 10532. My frustration is due to the mandatory reboots that Windows 10 keeps scheduling during the middle of the workday, often when I am away from my computer. I have disabled this "feature" in the update settings but...
Windows Insider
Solved Endless start loop
Have just installed 10 on a spare drive and installed that drive into my Sandy Bridge and the machine is now going through an endless loop of start up. I can hear it make some sort of noise as if something wants to go and I have again tried the...
Installation and Upgrade
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:46.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums