Windows 10: New Windows Account changed my local User account can't log in Solved

  1.    11 Jun 2016 #1

    New Windows Account changed my local User account can't log in


    I tried to see Skype Video on Windows 10. Huge mistake.
    It asked me for a Windows Account. (I just finished understanding what Google Account means).
    I happened to have a Windows Account. I entered it and it accepted it.
    It then asked that I must also change the password that I use for my profile on my desktop.
    I obliged and sacrificed my simple password as it required a strong password.
    So now I have a Windows password and my strong user profile password.
    I rebooted. Big headache for the past two hours.
    Neither passwords worked to let me in my profile (which has Administrator privilege).
    I logged in as Administrator, went to Control Panel, Users accounts, hoping that being logged in as Local Admin, I can change the password of my profile. I can see my profile user account, but there is no way to change its password, only to delete or change to ordinary user.
    I changed my Windows account password via my mobile.
    Still, I can't log in to my profile.
    Would somebody kindly help? or should I just dump Windows 10 and move on to Mac?
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 11,234
    W10Prox64
       11 Jun 2016 #2

    ikhadduri said: View Post
    I tried to see Skype Video on Windows 10. Huge mistake.
    It asked me for a Windows Account. (I just finished understanding what Google Account means).
    I happened to have a Windows Account. I entered it and it accepted it.
    It then asked that I must also change the password that I use for my profile on my desktop.
    I obliged and sacrificed my simple password as it required a strong password.
    So now I have a Windows password and my strong user profile password.
    I rebooted. Big headache for the past two hours.
    Neither passwords worked to let me in my profile (which has Administrator privilege).
    I logged in as Administrator, went to Control Panel, Users accounts, hoping that being logged in as Local Admin, I can change the password of my profile. I can see my profile user account, but there is no way to change its password, only to delete or change to ordinary user.
    I changed my Windows account password via my mobile.
    Still, I can't log in to my profile.
    Would somebody kindly help? or should I just dump Windows 10 and move on to Mac?
    Hi ikhadduri and welcome to Tenforums.

    You say you can log in as an administrator - can you perform a System Restore to get things back the way they were?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    12 Jun 2016 #3

    System Restore did the trick.


    simrick said: View Post
    Hi ikhadduri and welcome to Tenforums.

    You say you can log in as an administrator - can you perform a System Restore to get things back the way they were?
    Thank you, SimRick. It should have occurred to me. It must old age.
    I have my profile back (BTY, it is the original name that I had and not my full name that Windows account changed it to).
    Now back to the drawing board and uprooting Edge to replace it with Chrome. That experience was like pulling a wisdom tooth without anesthetics.
    Thanks again.
    I thought I earlier saw a box to close this thread. I don't see it here.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  4. Posts : 11,234
    W10Prox64
       12 Jun 2016 #4

    ikhadduri said: View Post
    Thank you, SimRick. It should have occurred to me. It must old age.
    I have my profile back (BTY, it is the original name that I had and not my full name that Windows account changed it to).
    Now back to the drawing board and uprooting Edge to replace it with Chrome. That experience was like pulling a wisdom tooth without anesthetics.
    Thanks again.
    I thought I earlier saw a box to close this thread. I don't see it here.
    Great! Yes, you've marked the thread as "solved" - that's all that is needed. Threads are only "closed" by moderators, if necessary.

    In the future, you may find that Windows will ask you to log in with your MS account to use features (such as apps from the Store). In this case, look very carefully for a link in very small print, which will say something like sign in only to this app. That will keep your local account from switching to a MS account on the entire system.

    If it does get you in the future, here is how to revert back:

    Local Account - Switch to in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

    Cheers!
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 

Related Threads
What the... Long story short; I install Windows clean, put my own name as admin; the only user. I use, let's call it 'password_one' for clarity. Fine. Then once I'm in Windows I login with my MS account (which is also my Gmail address) and...
Local Account Password changed in User Accounts and Family Safety
Hi, I have linked my Windows 10 app store to a BT provided email address. After rebooting it has asked me to login. It has changed my local account from my name to my BT email address and asking for a password. This is not my normal password and...
I would like help solving a mystery. I set up a new Dell Optiplex 3020 which shipped with Windows 10 Pro. I bypassed the option to set up the user with a Microsoft Account (The owner does not have a microsoft account and I did not create one at...
User account with more local profiles in User Accounts and Family Safety
Hi In Windows 10, a user account can have two or more local profiles? If so, how do I create them and manage them? Thanks Bye
So I originally started with a local account but then signed into the store with a MS account. I changed the setting where users are required to enter a password through netplwiz (like this) and making a password not required after waking from...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:34.
Find Us