Windows 10: Forgot Windows login password, only have a local account Solved

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    01 Jun 2016 #1

    Forgot Windows login password, only have a local account


    I can't log in to my computer because I forgot my password. I didn't set up a Microsoft account, so I only have the local account. I'm really stuck! If anyone has a solution for me, I would appreciate it so much!

    Thank you so much!
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 3,033
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
       01 Jun 2016 #2

    This is a tough one unless you made a password recovery disk, had a MS account or have another user account. Ways of making another user account you will need a Windows 10 installation disk to boot from. Other option is to call MS or reinstall windows.

    http://www.howtogeek.com/222262/how-...in-windows-10/
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  3. Posts : 11,234
    W10Prox64
       01 Jun 2016 #3

    Hi.
    You can try this:
    Boot the system to Kyhi's W10PESE Recovery media. Use the program ntpwedit to remove the password from the user account. (use the mirror to download)

    Alternatively, you can enable the Hidden Administrator Account in Windows 10 by following option #4 in this tutorial, and remove the password that way:
    Administrator account - Enable or Disable in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

    Hope that helps.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    02 Jun 2016 #4

    simrick said: View Post
    Hi.
    You can try this:
    Boot the system to Kyhi's W10PESE Recovery media. Use the program ntpwedit to remove the password from the user account. (use the mirror to download)

    Alternatively, you can enable the Hidden Administrator Account in Windows 10 by following option #4 in this tutorial, and remove the password that way:
    Administrator account - Enable or Disable in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

    Hope that helps.
    Thanks so much for you help. Two clarifications: I have a few files that I need to preserve so I can't reset the system. Also, I do have a microsoft account, but I didn't set it up on this computer. Is there a way I can modify the login to use the microsoft account instead? Thanks so much again!
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  5. Posts : 11,234
    W10Prox64
       02 Jun 2016 #5

    bicho1 said: View Post
    Thanks so much for you help. Two clarifications: I have a few files that I need to preserve so I can't reset the system. Also, I do have a microsoft account, but I didn't set it up on this computer. Is there a way I can modify the login to use the microsoft account instead? Thanks so much again!
    Hi.
    When you boot to Kyhi's recovery media, you can use File Explorer to find your important files and copy them to an external drive for safe-keeping. This could also be done once you are in the Hidden Administrative Account.

    You need to either gain access to the existing account
    -by removing the password and rebooting into Windows normally to access the existing account, then switching it over to an MS account, or,
    - create a new local admin account, then use that account to remove the password from the existing account.

    Either way, once you have access to the existing account, you can switch it to an MS account:
    Microsoft Account - Switch to in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

    .
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    02 Jun 2016 #6

    I created the recovery usb using the WIN10586PESE_x64.ISO file (I think I did this correctly?) and attempted to boot using the usb by using the BIOS entry key (F10) in my case, but when I got to the setup screen, there was no "Boot" tab. What did I do wrong? Thank you for your patience and generosity in helping me despite my apparent incompetence
    simrick said: View Post
    Hi.
    When you boot to Kyhi's recovery media, you can use File Explorer to find your important files and copy them to an external drive for safe-keeping. This could also be done once you are in the Hidden Administrative Account.

    You need to either gain access to the existing account
    -by removing the password and rebooting into Windows normally to access the existing account, then switching it over to an MS account, or,
    - create a new local admin account, then use that account to remove the password from the existing account.

    Either way, once you have access to the existing account, you can switch it to an MS account:
    Microsoft Account - Switch to in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

    .
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  7. Posts : 11,234
    W10Prox64
       02 Jun 2016 #7

    bicho1 said: View Post
    I created the recovery usb using the WIN10586PESE_x64.ISO file (I think I did this correctly?) and attempted to boot using the usb by using the BIOS entry key (F10) in my case, but when I got to the setup screen, there was no "Boot" tab. What did I do wrong? Thank you for your patience and generosity in helping me despite my apparent incompetence
    Hi.
    I can't help if I don't know what your system specs are. I need them available, so I can click on your specs no matter where I am in the thread.
    System Specs - Fill in at Ten Forums - Windows 10 Forums

    How did you create the USB? Did you right-click the ISO file to MOUNT, then copy all the files over to the USB flash drive?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    02 Jun 2016 #8

    I just filled in my specs. Yes, that is how I created the USB.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  9. Posts : 11,234
    W10Prox64
       02 Jun 2016 #9

    bicho1 said: View Post
    I just filled in my specs. Yes, that is how I created the USB.
    Okay thanks.
    You need to go into your BIOS and make some changes so you can boot from USB. Give me a few -
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  10. Posts : 11,234
    W10Prox64
       02 Jun 2016 #10

    Okay please see if this helps:
    how to boot from usb on HP ENVY 15-k000nx Notebook PC - HP Support Forum - 4379722

    Re: how to boot from usb on HP ENVY 15-k000nx Notebook PC


    1) Insert the USB flash drive into a USB port and turn on the computer.

    2) Immediately press the Escape key repeatedly, about once every second, until the Startup Menu opens.

    3) Press F9 to open the Boot Device Options menu.

    4) Use the up or down arrow key to select the USB flash drive, and then press Enter .


    NOTE: If you cannot select the USB flash drive from the Boot Menu, disable Secure Boot and enable Legacy Support in BIOS. For detailed instructions, see the Disabling Secure Boot on a notebook computer (Windows 8). After saving the changes, the computer will request that you confirm the changes... Accept the changes by typing the four digit code and pressing the "ENTER" key.

    You may also have to set "System Configuration" > "USB3.0 Config in Pre-Boot" to "Auto" in the BIOS.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Related Threads
Forgot local password and can't access Windows in User Accounts and Family Safety
My wife used a local password to log into Win 10, and got a Microsoft account, specifying another password. The next time she booted up, neither her old nor new password was accepted. We don't have a Win 10 CD to fix things, because we downloaded...
So... It's not quite that simple... She is taking an online course to learn Ancient Greek and uses a program that allows her to type using Greek symbols. The problem arose when she decided to change the account password to a Greek word using this...
Solved forgot what the password is for your local account in User Accounts and Family Safety
What if you are using your Microsoft account Shawn, and you forgot what the password is for your local account??? Long time ago when I was just using my local account, I never had a password setup for it. Now if I try to log in to my local account,...
How to Add Password to Local Account in Windows 10 Using a strong password is among the most important steps you can take to protect your computer from hackers and other unwelcome users. If you have a local account on the PC, then your...
So I originally started with a local account but then signed into the store with a MS account. I changed the setting where users are required to enter a password through netplwiz (like this) and making a password not required after waking from...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 14:42.
Find Us