1.    09 Apr 2016 #1
    Join Date : Apr 2016
    Posts : 2
    Windows 7 & 10

    User Profiles location changed with Window 10 upgrade


    Machine owner did the free upgrade from 7 to Windows 10 believing it would solve the hardware problems he's been having; plus the whole "it's free" deal. Software doesn't fix failing hardware, so I'm having to upgrade/replace the hardware. I had planned to do a clean install of 7 and figured on an easy rebuild but now I am having to figure out 10 technicalities. I like to go over everything before jumping in.

    Machine owner upgraded Windows 10 Pro with Local Account.

    I had Windows 7 setup with User Profiles on secondary harddrive (F: drive) to avoid filling up the SSD C: drive. I found that Windows 10 upgrade appears to have reset the User Profile location to C: and the old Admin account appears to be permanently hidden. Windows 7 was setup with an Admin account and Power User account. While old data is staying in the F: folders, anything new is getting put on C:

    So, I'm trying to figure out how to setup 10. I saw the tutorial about setting up User accounts during install and after (I will have to read it more thoroughly). It mentions that doing the profile move after may affect the start menu and search function?... Regardless, I'm stuck trying to figure this out.

    Tell me if I'm wrong. I can rename the current F: drive User folders prior to install. Do the "during install" move creating new User Profile folders. Then move the old folder data to the new User folders?
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    10 Apr 2016 #2
    Join Date : Oct 2013
    A Finnish expat in Germany
    Posts : 13,099
    Windows 10 Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by RR93LWB View Post
    I had Windows 7 setup with User Profiles on secondary harddrive (F: drive) to avoid filling up the SSD C: drive. I found that Windows 10 upgrade appears to have reset the User Profile location to C: and the old Admin account appears to be permanently hidden. Windows 7 was setup with an Admin account and Power User account. While old data is staying in the F: folders, anything new is getting put on C:
    Tutorial: Users Folder - Move Location in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums
    • The second part, titled Method Two, explains how to workaround the Start and Search issue when relocating Users on an existing system
    • The third part, titled Upgrade, explains how to upgrade from Windows 7 with relocated users folder


    Quote Originally Posted by RR93LWB View Post
    Tell me if I'm wrong. I can rename the current F: drive User folders prior to install. Do the "during install" move creating new User Profile folders. Then move the old folder data to the new User folders?
    Better were to back up the user data to external storage and wipe the disk, use Method One in above mentioned tutorial to clean install Windows 10 relocating the Users folder, then copy user data from external backup to new user folders.

    Kari
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    10 Apr 2016 #3
    Join Date : Apr 2016
    Posts : 2
    Windows 7 & 10
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by Kari View Post


    Better were to back up the user data to external storage and wipe the disk, use Method One in above mentioned tutorial to clean install Windows 10 relocating the Users folder, then copy user data from external backup to new user folders.

    Kari
    Thanks Kari! That's the confirmation I was looking for!

    At the time I posted, I did not see instructions on moving and copying the Old User data specifically stated in Method 1 or Method 2 so, I began to wonder if there was an issue. After posting, I found the Note about moving the old User data at the bottom of the Upgrade section. I hadn't read down that far because I was focused on doing a clean install. Just me being too literal and narrow focused!

    Thanks again for all of your hard work!
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Windows 10 changed my user name
I upgraded from Win 7 a few weeks back, but it ran painfully slow and I didn't have the time to get into it, so I went back to 7 using my latest image file. Now that I do have some time - I did the upgrade and clean install method, no speed issues...
User Accounts and Family Safety
Solved method to sign out of all user profiles in one click
Currently have multiple user profiles and have to log into each one and sign out before shutting the PC down. could a batch file be created to sign out of all user profiles from any or one particular one...? thanks
User Accounts and Family Safety
User account with more local profiles
Hi In Windows 10, a user account can have two or more local profiles? If so, how do I create them and manage them? Thanks Bye
User Accounts and Family Safety
Win10 install/2 user profiles on same computer/1st is mangled/2nd ok
I bit the bullet and upgraded my old Dell Latitude D830 from Win 7 to Win 10 on 9/11/15. I was surprised that I could actually get it to install, but all looked good after the install. I don't like how it looks like MS stripped out/hid some UI...
Installation and Upgrade
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 13:13.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums