1.    31 Mar 2016 #1
    Join Date : Mar 2016
    Posts : 5
    windows 10

    cannot open cmd as an administrator (need help urgent)


    Hi, I am unable to carry out any task as an administrator as windows prompts to click yes for running program as an admin but does not prompt for the admin password. I am unable to manage user accounts as it does the same. how to get admin rights and where to type in the password. Kindly help
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    31 Mar 2016 #2
    Join Date : Nov 2015
    Posts : 4,891
    windows 10 Home threshold2

    I may not have an answer for you, but I would like to clarify this:
    You said ............ as windows prompts to click yes for running program as an admin but does not prompt for the admin password.

    If one is on admin account and is prompted by UAC to confirm the action, all one needs to do is to click Yes to confirm. One does not need to enter the password.
    If one is on standard account and is prompted by UAC to confirm the action, then one has to enter the admin password.

    So, are you logged in to your admin account.
    Better still.................... are you the admin of this computer ?
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    31 Mar 2016 #3
    Join Date : Mar 2016
    Posts : 5
    windows 10
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by davidhk View Post
    I may not have an answer for you, but I would like to clarify this:
    You said ............ as windows prompts to click yes for running program as an admin but does not prompt for the admin password.

    If one is on admin account and is prompted by UAC to confirm the action, all one needs to do is to click Yes to confirm. One does not need to enter the password.
    If one is on standard account and is prompted by UAC to confirm the action, then one has to enter the admin password.

    So, are you logged in to your admin account.
    Better still.................... are you the admin of this computer ?
    Hi, thanks for the reply. It actually says : "to continue type the admin password and then click yes" (cannot click yes as it is grey)
    and does not give the option to type in the password. where am I supposed to enter the password. I actually do not know whether I am admin or not
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    31 Mar 2016 #4
    Join Date : Nov 2015
    Posts : 4,891
    windows 10 Home threshold2

    You don't know if you are admin or not, but do you have the admin password ?
    If you don't, forget what you wanted to do.

    To find out if you are the admin or not.................

    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2...dows-10-a.html

    Left click at the Start button >left side, click Settings > click Accounts > right side. You should see your account.
    Does it say Administrator ?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Acct..... admin.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	30.9 KB 
ID:	72391
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    31 Mar 2016 #5
    Join Date : Mar 2016
    Posts : 5
    windows 10
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by davidhk View Post
    You don't know if you are admin or not, but do you have the admin password ?
    If you don't, forget what you wanted to do.

    To find out if you are the admin or not.................

    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2...dows-10-a.html

    Left click at the Start button >left side, click Settings > click Accounts > right side. You should see your account.
    Does it say Administrator ?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Acct..... admin.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	30.9 KB 
ID:	72391

    It says "local account". Actually I bought this laptop from someone today. I don't know that person knows the password or he also does not have it. how can I get it resolved?
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    31 Mar 2016 #6
    Join Date : Nov 2015
    Posts : 4,891
    windows 10 Home threshold2

    You will have to ask that seller for the admin password.

    I apologize in advance.
    I have a self-imposed rule................... I don't assist people in retrieving or resetting computer password.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    31 Mar 2016 #7
    Join Date : Oct 2013
    NW Florida
    Posts : 9,693
    Windows 10 Pro and Windows 10 Pro Insider

    @davidhk, that is a good rule and a rule all forum members should follow. The risk is too high for abuse.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  8.    31 Mar 2016 #8
    Join Date : Mar 2016
    Posts : 5
    windows 10
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by davidhk View Post
    You will have to ask that seller for the admin password.

    I apologize in advance.
    I have a self-imposed rule................... I don't assist people in retrieving or resetting computer password.

    :-( That's very unfair. ok can you please tell me if that person tells me the password then how and where to apply that? and if he does not know it too than should I return this laptop back to him?
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  9.    31 Mar 2016 #9
    Join Date : Oct 2013
    Posts : 25,773
    64-bit Windows 10 Pro build 17046

    You can't say we're being unfair when this looks highly suspicious. You have to admit that.

    One would have assumed that you checked to make sure that the laptop was in working order before purchase from such seller.

    If it's not, then yeah you should return it for a full refund.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  10.    31 Mar 2016 #10
    Join Date : Mar 2016
    Posts : 5
    windows 10
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by Brink View Post
    You can't say we're being unfair when this looks highly suspicious. You have to admit that.

    One would have assumed that you checked to make sure that the laptop was in working order before purchase from such seller.

    If it's not, then yeah you should return it for a full refund.

    Yeap I admit it. will check with that person for the password.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Need urgent help
I know this is a Win 10 Forum but I was hoping someone can help me solve my win 8.1 issue. When ever I'm playing games my windows alt tabs and goes to the search tab and it wont let me exit it, this is causing me many headaches because I play a lot...
General Support
Please help urgent!
I constantly get black screens while doing random things on my cpu. I get a error of "Event id: 10016 The machine-default permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID ...
Performance & Maintenance
More urgent help needed please
I have downloaded the W10 ISO file onto a USB stick, in preparation for carrying out a clean install. I have then rebooted my pc and pressed F12 and chose the USB stick as the boot up method. However, when I have done this I am still getting a...
Installation and Upgrade
Help urgent
Help I bought a copy of windows 10 and now the person is saying they are going to revoke the windows licence can they do this and what does it mean
General Support
Uninstall Help! URGENT!!!!
Hello guys, I have been using windows 10 TP build 9926 for about a week on my SP3. I've noticed some bugs but overall was great. But there is one issue that is bothering me and I wanna go back to windows 8.1 due to that. The issue is that the...
Installation and Upgrade
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:31.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums