Why does my user keep asking me to "sign into my microsoft account"?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  1. Posts : 41
    Windows 10 Home
       #1

    Why does my user keep asking me to "sign into my microsoft account"?


    Its one of those security and maintenance alerts that pops up in the action center every time I restart. When I click it takes me to settings but I've already verified my ID so there doesn't seem to be anything to do. I'd appreciate any ideas...
      My Computer

  2. OldMike65's Avatar
    Posts : 84,009
    Windows10 Pro 64Bit
       #2

    KeithJB said:
    Its one of those security and maintenance alerts that pops up in the action center every time I restart. When I click it takes me to settings but I've already verified my ID so there doesn't seem to be anything to do. I'd appreciate any ideas...
    Read this tutorial and Use option #1 If yours is set to ask for password, just un-check, and reboot.
    Sign in User Account Automatically at Windows 10 Startup
      My Computers


  3. Posts : 41
    Windows 10 Home
    Thread Starter
       #3

    Thanks, Mike, I followed your steps and when I rebooted, it showed two users - Keith with my email address (MS ID) and just Keith (Presumably a local user). Well, I chose me with the email and entered my pin - is that right. I haven't seen the warning yet to verify my MS id but I need to give it time - it doesn't happen every time I log in...
      My Computer

  4. OldMike65's Avatar
    Posts : 84,009
    Windows10 Pro 64Bit
       #4

    KeithJB said:
    Thanks, Mike, I followed your steps and when I rebooted, it showed two users - Keith with my email address (MS ID) and just Keith (Presumably a local user). Well, I chose me with the email and entered my pin - is that right. I haven't seen the warning yet to verify my MS id but I need to give it time - it doesn't happen every time I log in...
    I only use 1 account, I don't use my local account, also no pin, so when I reboot, or turn my computer off, it takes me right to my desktop.....everytime. :)
      My Computers


  5. Posts : 41
    Windows 10 Home
    Thread Starter
       #5

    Well, this is for my laptop so I do want a pin but I think I may be all set now. Let em give it a day or 2 - a few reboot cycles, then I'll mark this as solved :)

    I've never heard of that netplwiz tool but its interesting.

    I have a quick follow-up if you don't mind Mike, in case it's related.


    On the sign in screen, it displays the time in AM/PM format whereas I have my computer set for military time (I prefer that!). Now on my desktop, which I thought was the same, the sign in screen does display in 24 hour time. It doesn't really matter per se but I wondered if there's something in the way my user is set up that's a problem and may affect something else? One more related minor issue. Is there a way to change my c:\users\keith directory name to Keith with a capital K - also to match my desktop? I tried to change the user name in netplwiz but it made no difference.

    Thanks so much!
      My Computer

  6. OldMike65's Avatar
    Posts : 84,009
    Windows10 Pro 64Bit
       #6

    KeithJB said:
    Well, this is for my laptop so I do want a pin but I think I may be all set now. Let em give it a day or 2 - a few reboot cycles, then I'll mark this as solved :)

    I've never heard of that netplwiz tool but its interesting.

    I have a quick follow-up if you don't mind Mike, in case it's related.


    On the sign in screen, it displays the time in AM/PM format whereas I have my computer set for military time (I prefer that!). Now on my desktop, which I thought was the same, the sign in screen does display in 24 hour time. It doesn't really matter per se but I wondered if there's something in the way my user is set up that's a problem and may affect something else? One more related minor issue. Is there a way to change my c:\users\keith directory name to Keith with a capital K - also to match my desktop? I tried to change the user name in netplwiz but it made no difference.

    Thanks so much!
    Sorry I don't think you can change your user name in your folder ...even to a capital K Think you would have to create a new user account to do so. Lot of work just to change 1 letter. On changing the time.....not sure, but you might be able too, try looking in your settings for Time Format .... Just type Time Format in your windows search window.
      My Computers



  7. Posts : 41
    Windows 10 Home
    Thread Starter
       #7

    Yeah, I wouldn't go to all that trouble Mike just to fix the "k". I thought I might be able to rename it easily but apparently not. Its no big deal. Anyway, thanks again Mike. I'm gonna give this a day or so, as I said, then mark it solved. :)
      My Computer

  8. OldMike65's Avatar
    Posts : 84,009
    Windows10 Pro 64Bit
       #8

    KeithJB said:
    Yeah, I wouldn't go to all that trouble Mike just to fix the "k". I thought I might be able to rename it easily but apparently not. Its no big deal. Anyway, thanks again Mike. I'm gonna give this a day or so, as I said, then mark it solved. :)
    Ok Keith Take care.....:)
      My Computers


  9. Posts : 41
    Windows 10 Home
    Thread Starter
       #9

    darn - didn't work I got a prompt today saying I need to sign in to verify my MS account again. Any more ideas?
      My Computer

  10. OldMike65's Avatar
    Posts : 84,009
    Windows10 Pro 64Bit
       #10

    KeithJB said:
    darn - didn't work I got a prompt today saying I need to sign in to verify my MS account again. Any more ideas?
    Read this tutorial and it should help you with this problem
    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/5...d-devices.html
      My Computers


 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Related Threads
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:51.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums