Windows 10: Lockscreen without password

  1.    25 Feb 2016 #1

    Lockscreen without password


    Hi to everyone!

    I have a laptop with Windows 10 Home (updated). I have already disabled the option to insert my password on boot and logon. I would like to use the lockscreen as I did with a screensaver, no security issues. Problem is that every time I want to go back to the desktop, I have to insert my password. Is there a way or an hack of some sort do disable the password request and return back directly from the lockscreen to the desktop?

    Thanks in advance,

    Alpha
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 2,524
    64bit Win 10 Pro ver 1703 Build 15063.483
       25 Feb 2016 #2

    You could try selecting the "Don't require a password" setting as shown below. Note: you will need to click on "Change settings that are currently unavailable" before you can make the selection.

    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1...dows-10-a.html


    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2016-02-25.png 
Views:	2 
Size:	41.2 KB 
ID:	66241

    Also make sure that you have not selected the display login setting for your screensaver.

    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/5...dows-10-a.html

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2016-02-25 (1).png 
Views:	41 
Size:	36.7 KB 
ID:	66244
    Last edited by Brink; 25 Feb 2016 at 09:04. Reason: added tuttorial link for more info
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  3. Posts : 8,644
    Windows 10 Professional
       25 Feb 2016 #3

    If I'm not mistaken, Windows will always make you click on something from a locked state:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dec262015180107.png 
Views:	2 
Size:	42.5 KB 
ID:	66249

    You could try 'Turn off Display'
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  4.    25 Feb 2016 #4

    Thank you philc and Edwin for your quick response!
    @PhilC: unfortunately, both options are already set as you shown (power saver - system settings and screensaver setting).
    @Edwin: wherever I click, Windows asks me for the password, ever.

    Damn. Any ideas?
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  5. Posts : 8,644
    Windows 10 Professional
       25 Feb 2016 #5

    AlphaUMi said: View Post
    Thank you philc and Edwin for your quick response!
    @PhilC: unfortunately, both options are already set as you shown (power saver - system settings and screensaver setting).
    @Edwin: wherever I click, Windows asks me for the password, ever.

    Damn. Any ideas?
    Even if you used a local account, it might require you to click on 'Sign in', as per my screenshot, from a locked state.
    You could try 'Turn Off Display' pressing the physical Power button, setting:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	000082.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	215.7 KB 
ID:	66259
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  6. Posts : 8,644
    Windows 10 Professional
       25 Feb 2016 #6

    Yeah, it wants you to click on something from a locked or signed out state, even with a local account,

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Feb252016100822.png 
Views:	1 
Size:	1.01 MB 
ID:	66278
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  7.    25 Feb 2016 #7

    Edwin said: View Post
    Even if you used a local account, it might require you to click on 'Sign in', as per my screenshot, from a locked state.
    You could try 'Turn Off Display' pressing the physical Power button, setting:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	000082.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	215.7 KB 
ID:	66259
    Thank you again Edwin, I've tried what you suggested. But the only thing that happens is that the display turns off. The lockscreen isn't affected at all. I can lock the computer on demand with Win+L key if I want, but the issue remains: Windows asks me for the password.

    Smartphones with Android, that are more at risk of theft or security issues allow you to disable password if you want to. But this is a home computer. I begin to think Microsoft took the definition of "lockscreen" in the strongest way.

    EDIT: I do not have a "Sign in" button. I have a text field for password insertion. Maybe you do not have set up a password at all?
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  8. Posts : 8,644
    Windows 10 Professional
       25 Feb 2016 #8

    AlphaUMi said: View Post
    Thank you again Edwin, I've tried what you suggested. But the only thing that happens is that the display turns off. The lockscreen isn't affected at all. I can lock the computer on demand with Win+L key if I want, but the issue remains: Windows asks me for the password.

    Smartphones with Android, that are more at risk of theft or security issues allow you to disable password if you want to. But this is a home computer. I begin to think Microsoft took the definition of "lockscreen" in the strongest way.

    EDIT: I do not have a "Sign in" button. I have a text field for password insertion. Maybe you do not have set up a password at all?
    Correct. I switched to a local account with no password.

    The only other thing I can suggest is, create a photo screensaver with your desired image, then turn off screensaver settings. Then, navigate to "C:\Windows\System32\PhotoScreensaver.scr" and create a shortcut to the 'PhotoScreensaver.scr' file and pin it to your taskbar or quick launch and click it to engage:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	000087.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	223.8 KB 
ID:	66282

    EDIT: Mind you, it won't be the Lock Screen with the date and time on it though!
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  9.    25 Feb 2016 #9

    Eheheh! Your workaround sounds like: "Do you live in Siberia but want the scenery of Central Park? Print an high resolution poster, then attach it just outside your windows, an then admire the scenery...

    Just a joke, thanks anyway!
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  10. Posts : 4
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
       12 Oct 2016 #10

    I may be too late for posting this. Hopefully useful for others.

    Settings > Accounts > Sign-in options > Require sign in > Set it to never

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	95.3 KB 
ID:	105581
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 

Related Threads
LockScreen errors in General Support
For the past few weeks I've been seeing errors in the Event Viewer relating to the LockScreen. These only happen when waking the PC up from Sleep mode. The errors are:- 5973 Activation of application...
Lockscreen/Screensaver in Customization
What I am trying to accomplish (on a PC) is to have a slideshow play after like 5 or 10 minutes. Then, after 30 minutes, have the monitor go blank. If I press a key, be presented with the Lockscreen. After watching and playing a little with the...
Lockscreen Slideshow in Customization
Lock screen slideshow won't work !
Solved Lockscreen/Background in Customization
I have tried a few Builds of win 10 so far, with no crashes. Have been happy with the looks and it has run all my programs so far. Right now I am on Build 10159. But there is one thing that is not working like in Windows 8/8.1: The...
Solved New icons on lockscreen in General Support
Hi. Have been trying on Windows 10, and I noticed that there is a new icon on the lockscreen (unlike the ones on Windows 8.1). Besides the network icon, there is also another one that looks like a screen, but it has a red x in it. Does that refer to...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:49.
Find Us