Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    16 Oct 2015 #1
    Join Date : Sep 2015
    Posts : 8
    windows 10

    setting up User to store on HDD with Windows on SSD


    I have installed 10 and Office suite on my SSD (drive C). I have a clean fomatted HDD (A) that I want to store User media files (documents, pictures, videos, music, Outlook PST) files on. I have named my PC "Main". I would like that to be the hidden Administrator account and use my User name of Fred and a second User name of Wilma. Microsoft Help desk can't seem to assist me.

    I would like all of those files to automatically be stored on the HDD. I had backed up those media files on an external HDD and will be recovering those after this is set up on the A drive.

    Thanks in advance!
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    16 Oct 2015 #2
    Join Date : Oct 2013
    A Finnish expat in Germany
    Posts : 13,116
    Windows 10 Pro

    For the first, please change the drive letter of your data drive. There is a reason why Windows starts identifying hard disk partitions from C: and not A:, letters A and B are reserved for removable media, remnants from the floppy disk time, and they should in no circumstances be used for hard drives or partitions on a hard drive.

    Then, moving all user data to another drive can be done in various ways. See this tutorial on our sister site the Seven Forums, the method applies also to Windows 10: User Folders - Change Default Location - Windows 7 Help Forums

    You can also completely relocate the whole Users folder to another drive as told in this tutorial: Users Folder - Move Location in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums. However, although this method works flawless when done on a fresh clean install, at the moment the Windows 10 built-in Sysprep tool used for it has a bug, an issue causing existing user accounts to lose functionality of the Start Menu and the Search. All new accounts created after the procedure will be totally OK. If you check this tutorial, please read the tutorial carefully through first, then check a few pages at the end of the tutorial thread where this issue when done on an existing system has been widely discussed.

    I am sure Microsoft will fix the Sysprep issue in the future builds of Windows 10 but at the moment, take the above warning seriously. Personally I only recommend to use the Sysprep method at the moment, until the bug has been fixed, on new clean installs only.

    Kari
    Last edited by Kari; 16 Oct 2015 at 17:38. Reason: Fixed some typos.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    17 Oct 2015 #3
    Join Date : Sep 2015
    Posts : 8
    windows 10
    Thread Starter

    Thanks for the the advice. However, I had already (unknowingly) named it drive B and created the paths to B:\users\fred\music. Can I simply change the drive letter in disk management? Or do I have to do that, then change all the paths for media files, PST files, etc?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kari View Post
    For the first, please change the drive letter of your data drive. There is a reason why Windows starts identifying hard disk partitions from C: and not A:, letters A and B are reserved for removable media, remnants from the floppy disk time, and they should in no circumstances be used for hard drives or partitions on a hard drive.

    Then, moving all user data to another drive can be done in various ways. See this tutorial on our sister site the Seven Forums, the method applies also to Windows 10: User Folders - Change Default Location - Windows 7 Help Forums

    You can also completely relocate the whole Users folder to another drive as told in this tutorial: Users Folder - Move Location in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums. However, although this method works flawless when done on a fresh clean install, at the moment the Windows 10 built-in Sysprep tool used for it has a bug, an issue causing existing user accounts to lose functionality of the Start Menu and the Search. All new accounts created after the procedure will be totally OK. If you check this tutorial, please read the tutorial carefully through first, then check a few pages at the end of the tutorial thread where this issue when done on an existing system has been widely discussed.

    I am sure Microsoft will fix the Sysprep issue in the future builds of Windows 10 but at the moment, take the above warning seriously. Personally I only recommend to use the Sysprep method at the moment, until the bug has been fixed, on new clean installs only.

    Kari
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    18 Oct 2015 #4
    Join Date : Oct 2013
    A Finnish expat in Germany
    Posts : 13,116
    Windows 10 Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by fireman0175 View Post
    Thanks for the the advice. However, I had already (unknowingly) named it drive B and created the paths to B:\users\fred\music. Can I simply change the drive letter in disk management? Or do I have to do that, then change all the paths for media files, PST files, etc?
    One of cons with A and B drives is that Windows does not index them. This means that searching them takes longer, which is not good especially when user data, media, documents, pics and such will be stored on these drives.

    If you change the drive letter to something else (partitions on HDD and SSD should have ID from range C to Z), it does not change the paths. Let's say you change that drive B: now to drive G:, your path to the Music would still be B:\Users\Fred\Music which would of course not work.

    If it was me, I would start from scratch. Empty the drive, remove all paths made / created by my, give the drive a new ID, copy my data there and so on. Your decision: You might want to keep everything as it is, the data stored on drive B: which if you are and remain lucky just might work for you, not bring issues for you in the future.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    18 Oct 2015 #5
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Maine
    Posts : 40,103
    Windows10Pro 64Bit

    I agree with Kari (cough, cough ) on this, I am surprised windows even allowed you to name a HD to A or B I don't think Windows should have myself for ALL the reasons stated by Kari. I would also start over, maybe backup any files before changing their drive letters just to be safe, then renaming then to any letter like Kari suggested.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  6.    18 Oct 2015 #6
    Join Date : Sep 2014
    Posts : 91
    64-bit 10240 10 Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by OldMike65 View Post
    I agree with Kari (cough, cough ) on this, I am surprised windows even allowed you to name a HD to A or B I don't think Windows should have myself for ALL the reasons stated by Kari. I would also start over, maybe backup any files before changing their drive letters just to be safe, then renaming then to any letter like Kari suggested.
    Windows allows many things they should not, but remember there still are users with Floppy Disks somewhere out there.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    18 Oct 2015 #7
    Join Date : Oct 2013
    A Finnish expat in Germany
    Posts : 13,116
    Windows 10 Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    Windows allows many things they should not, but remember there still are users with Floppy Disks somewhere out there.
    Exactly. Those drive IDs are still needed but should be only used for removable media.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    18 Oct 2015 #8
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Maine
    Posts : 40,103
    Windows10Pro 64Bit

    Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    Windows allows many things they should not, but remember there still are users with Floppy Disks somewhere out there.
    No WAY !!!! hahahahahaha holy smokes that is hard to believe, don't think you can even buy floppy disks or the 3.5 ones anywhere???? WoW
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  9.    18 Oct 2015 #9
    Join Date : Mar 2015
    Posts : 616
    Windows 10

    You should be able to go to Settings -> System -> Storage and change them there; although I changed mine manually by right clicking the folder, selecting properties and changing the drive letter under location.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.JPG 
Views:	0 
Size:	81.8 KB 
ID:	43321

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture2.JPG 
Views:	24 
Size:	35.1 KB 
ID:	43322
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  10.    18 Oct 2015 #10
    Join Date : Sep 2014
    Posts : 91
    64-bit 10240 10 Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by OldMike65 View Post
    No WAY !!!! hahahahahaha holy smokes that is hard to believe, don't think you can even buy floppy disks or the 3.5 ones anywhere???? WoW
    I had an old Zip Drive laying around and tried to install it an I got a pop up that it would be installed as Drive A: I never installed it and took it to a parts recycle program yesterday along with some other junk I had laying around.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Windows Store error code 0x801901F7, can't launch Windows Store
Yesterday my Windows Store is working, but can't download or update any apps in Windows Store. After I turned off the PC for a few of hours then I open up the Windows Store and I get the error.. Screenshot: 29117 If anyone known how to fix...
Software and Apps
Windows Store doesn't work with other user accounts
Greetings everyone: I'm running Windows 10 Home RTM 10240. I originally upgraded from Windows 7 Home Premium on August 11, 2015 but because my Start Menu and Windows Store stopped working a few days ago, I had to do a in-place reinstall which...
Software and Apps
Solved Problems in User Account, not appearing in Admin Account (store, sfc)
I have not found anything like my problem on any forum or thread. In my Administrator Account the Windows Store opens and I can install Apps. I expected those same Apps I just installed to appear in my User Account, they did not. Both my Admin and...
User Accounts and Family Safety
Store setting
Where it says update apps automatically the option to stop that is greyed out. How do i stop automatic updates?
Software and Apps
Setting the manual update of the Store apps for all users
Hi In Windows 10, how do I set the manual update of the Store apps for all users? Thanks Bye
Software and Apps
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 18:53.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums