1.    22 Aug 2015 #1
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Venezuela Caracas
    Posts : 37
    Windows 10 home

    How to revert local account to administrator acc.


    I changed my local administrator account, to standard accc., now I lost all elevated rights.
    I have a working windows account, but I don't know the password of the local account to revert.
    Thanks,
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    22 Aug 2015 #2
    Join Date : Apr 2015
    Posts : 13,001
    W10Prox64

    Hello. I am not sure I understand the question. Let me see:

    • You had an administrative account (local, not MS).
    • You changed this administrative account to a limited account.
    • You want to change the limited account back to an administrative account.
    • You have another administrative account, but you don't know the password.


    Is this correct?

    You must be logged into an administrative account in order to give administrative rights to a local account.

    Does another user of the computer know the password to the administrative account?
    Did you create a password reset disk for the administrative account?
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    22 Aug 2015 #3
    Join Date : Apr 2015
    Posts : 13,001
    W10Prox64

    Based on your comment here-
    Solved I lost all of my administrator rights when I downloaded Windows 10 - Page 2 - Windows 10 Forums

    I would think that is your best option at this point. Back up your important files, and try downloading the ISO. Save it to your desktop, and then burn to DVD. Or, just mount the ISO by right-clicking it, and run setup.exe from within the W10 OS, to do an in-place upgrade.

    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/9...-download.html
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    22 Aug 2015 #4
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Venezuela Caracas
    Posts : 37
    Windows 10 home
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by simrick View Post
    Hello. I am not sure I understand the question. Let me see:

    • You had an administrative account (local, not MS).
    • You changed this administrative account to a limited account.
    • You want to change the limited account back to an administrative account.
    • You have another administrative account, but you don't know the password.


    Is this correct?

    You must be logged into an administrative account in order to give administrative rights to a local account.

    Does another user of the computer know the password to the administrative account?
    Did you create a password reset disk for the administrative account?
    my error, I do not have another administrative account, and when I want to change the account type, I get a pop up, saying to type a password or fingerprint, so far good, but it tell me I need elevated rights, I was in the process to create a reset disk.,I can open cmd elevated from boot, then what do I do?
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    22 Aug 2015 #5
    Join Date : Apr 2015
    Posts : 13,001
    W10Prox64

    Quote Originally Posted by Alboari View Post
    my error, I do not have another administrative account, and when I want to change the account type, I get a pop up, saying to type a password or fingerprint, so far good, but it tell me I need elevated rights, I was in the process to create a reset disk.,I can open cmd elevated from boot, then what do I do?
    I'm sorry, but I really have no idea how to change a limited account to an administrative account from an elevated C prompt at boot.

    Didn't Windows warn you that you were changing to a limited account when you were doing this?


    Is this computer upgraded from W7 or W8?
    Is the computer activated?

    If yes to both, the only thing I can recommend is a clean install.

    Please make sure your files are backed up to external media.

    Please try downloading the ISO from the link I gave above, from option #1, the link being to MS TechBench. Be sure to get the correct version and bitness for your existing system.

    Boot the computer using the DVD, and follow the instructions to install, keeping nothing (a clean install). When it asks for a keycode, just "skip".

    NOTE: This will remove all user accounts, files and applications, so be sure your files are backed up, and the computer is activated before you do this.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    22 Aug 2015 #6
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Venezuela Caracas
    Posts : 37
    Windows 10 home
    Thread Starter

    I solved it the easy way


    I did a system restore and all is back to normal.
    I used a week old restore point.
    Thanks
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    22 Aug 2015 #7
    Join Date : Apr 2015
    Posts : 13,001
    W10Prox64

    Quote Originally Posted by Alboari View Post
    I did a system restore and all is back to normal.
    I used a week old restore point.
    Thanks
    Good news! Glad you got it sorted.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Solved Change hotmail connected account to local account? (Win 10)
My Windows 10 account is somehow tied to a hotmail account I don't remember creating. Is there any way I can turn it into a local account? I don't really want it to be connected
User Accounts and Family Safety
Solved Local account changed to MS account, act as separate accounts at login
So I originally started with a local account but then signed into the store with a MS account. I changed the setting where users are required to enter a password through netplwiz (like this) and making a password not required after waking from...
User Accounts and Family Safety
Solved How to revert account back to local
I've downloaed an app from the store and this made my local account to be authenticated against my Microsoft-account. How can I revert back the account to be a local account? Thanks in advance Olli
User Accounts and Family Safety
Unable to link Microsoft Account to my Local Account
Hi all, When I click on the link to associate my Microsoft Account to my Local Account (after upgrading from Windows 7), it simply does nothing. Click, click, click. Similarly, when I try to log in the Windows store app, I get an application...
User Accounts and Family Safety
IE11 crashes and restarts on MS account --OK on Local account
Hi there IE11 re-starts itself every so often after a few web pages -- only happens on MS account. It's FINE on a LOCAL account !!!!. You also see this Forum error sometimes (I've posted in the Forum bugs too). Cheers jimbo
Browsers and Email
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 15:43.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums