I Accidentally Deleted the C:\Users\Administrator File and its Content

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  1. Posts : 6
    Windows 10
       #1

    I Accidentally Deleted the C:\Users\Administrator File and its Content


    Hi! I'm currently running on Microsoft Windows Version 20H2 (OS Build 19042.985)

    My current issue started from when I tried to enable the Built-in Administrator Account. I was intending to change the file name on my current Microsoft account C:\Users\<AccountName> file. As part of the steps, I had to enable the Built-in Administrator account. When I was done with it, I went to log out and delete the Administrator account by accident. I was wondering if I can restore this file...I know it sounds like a dumb situation I'm currently in, but if anyone could help me out on this matter I would greatly appreciate it!

    Currently running on a G14 Zephyrus laptop, I wanted to keep some of the programs inside the computer (because if I were to do a clean install, I might not be able to get back some of the ASUS applications provided in the system.) I was wondering if a Windows Repair file would work in my situation?

    As of now I can still access the administrator account (using the same command net user adminstrator /active:yes), I am greeted with the prompt, 'We can't sign in to your account'. Selecting 'Close' will be fine and all, but if I selected 'Sign out', I will be logged out, and then logged back in with the same prompt. I know I might have done some irreversible damage at this point, when the C:\Users\Adminstrator file did not come back, but instead appears as TEMP.

    I do not have a restore point in place and I was wondering if there is any other way to salvage this situation? Thanks in advance...
      My Computer

  2. Try3's Avatar
    Posts : 8,308
    Windows 10 Home x64 Version 21H1 Build 19043.1052
       #2

    1 You have not deleted the Built-in Administrator Account.
    If you have deleted the C:\Users\Administrator folder then that should not matter because it should be rebuilt the next time you log in to that account.

    2 I'm sorry to say that the prompt, 'We can't sign in to your account' probably means you have corrupted the Built-in Administrator Account but I have not heard of that happening before. To work out how to recover it, please explain exactly what you did. But you also say I can still access the administrator account so I am a bit confused about just what the problem is. You also go on to say instead appears as TEMP.

    3 How far in your task had you got? Do you have access to a user account that is an Admin one so you can control the computer fully? If so create another password-protected, local, Admin account now as a precaution against future problems. If you have such an extra [spare] Admin account like that it does not really matter if the Built-in Administrator Account has a problem.

    Denis
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 6
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #3

    Try3 said:
    1 You have not deleted the Built-in Administrator Account.
    If you have deleted the C:\Users\Administrator folder then that should not matter because it should be rebuilt the next time you log in to that account.

    2 I'm sorry to say that the prompt, 'We can't sign in to your account' probably means you have corrupted the Built-in Administrator Account but I have not heard of that happening before. To work out how to recover it, please explain exactly what you did. But you also say I can still access the administrator account so I am a bit confused about just what the problem is. You also go on to say instead appears as TEMP.

    3 How far in your task had you got? Do you have access to a user account that is an Admin one so you can control the computer fully? If so create another password-protected, local, Admin account now as a precaution against future problems. If you have such an extra [spare] Admin account like that it does not really matter if the Built-in Administrator Account has a problem.

    Denis
    To respond to Question 2, once I was done with the built-in Administrator account, I proceeded to switch back to my main Microsoft account (that also have administrative privileges) and checked on the C:\Users file. Then I stumbled upon this Administrator file. Since I was quite bold to assume that I was done with it, I can simply drag it out of the Users folder and delete the file and...that's where I'm at now.
    I am able to still process the command (net user administrator /active:yes) and still manage to enter that said 'Administrator' account even after restarting the computer, but I am always greeted with this image everytime I log in to that account.
    The C:\Users folder now contains another user file name TEMP when I access that administrator account. I assume since you said I corrupted it, I am now unable to get the C:\Users\Adminstrator file back. My problem was wondering if I could get back such a file, such that if I were to ever log into that Administrator account, I wouldn't be seeing that prompt again?

    Regarding point 3, I do have a working admin account that works, and is just my main Microsoft account, but its just my OCD that I found out I did such a big blunder, and I am unable to find a similar situation like mine. I'll be attaching images after I type out this reply so, bear with me...
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 1,532
       #4

    Using your MS admin-level acct, go to Control Panel's Users, if you are given the choice, delete the built-in admin acct from there. If not, not to worry. Do a total shutdown/power off. Wait a few moments, power on, see what accounts show up in your MS admin-level acct's Control Panel's Users. If the built-in admin acct is not visible, probably it is disabled. If you re-activate the built-in admin acct, it should rebuild itself from scratch. I recommend in the future: login and use it when needed, log out and forget it exists [until needed again]. I need coffee, I do not know if you already tried the above or not. At school, we are having weather advisories.
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 6
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #5

    Image 1: Successful enabling of the Built-in Administrator account again
    I Accidentally Deleted the C:\Users\Administrator File and its Content-picture-1.png

    Image 2: Prompt where it says 'We can't sign in into your account'
    I Accidentally Deleted the C:\Users\Administrator File and its Content-picture-2.png

    Image 3: TEMP folder created while in Built-In Administrator account
    I Accidentally Deleted the C:\Users\Administrator File and its Content-picture-3.png
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 1,532
       #6

    Is your post #5 the result of my post #4? I think we posted almost at the same time?
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 6
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #7

    RolandJS said:
    Is your post #5 the result of my post #4? I think we posted almost at the same time?
    I was trying to do a continuation of my post #3, but I'm unable to upload images therefore I created another one...sorry for the confusion.
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 1,532
       #8

    I was hoping my shutdown/power off and rebuilding idea would work :) Let me know if that works or not, I am a Windows 7 person, so I have no idea if that idea will work for Windows 10.
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 6
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #9

    RolandJS said:
    Using your MS admin-level acct, go to Control Panel's Users, if you are given the choice, delete the built-in admin acct from there. If not, not to worry. Do a total shutdown/power off. Wait a few moments, power on, see what accounts show up in your MS admin-level acct's Control Panel's Users. If the built-in admin acct is not visible, probably it is disabled. If you re-activate the built-in admin acct, it should rebuild itself from scratch. I recommend in the future: login and use it when needed, log out and forget it exists [until needed again]. I need coffee, I do not know if you already tried the above or not. At school, we are having weather advisories.
    So I tried accessing the Control Panel, and I saw 2 accounts, one with my original Microsoft account, the other being the administrator account. Both have Administrator status on it. If I do the command (net user administrator /active:no), then the administrator account disappears, and I'm left with my own account. Should I just disable it and let it be? Because as of now its not creating any problems. It's just my OCD acting up and wanting to get it back because I probably destroyed something inside the system
      My Computer


  10. Posts : 1,532
       #10

    If W10 is like W7, disabling built-in admin acct makes it "go away". Then, later on, from within any other admin-level acct, reactivating the built-in admin acct should force it to rebuild from scratch and be just fine going forward.
      My Computer


 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:02.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums