I have a corrupt profile after a windows update. Can I repair advice?

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

  1. Posts : 181
    windows 10 anniversary ed
    Thread Starter
       #81

    Try3 said:
    I cannot see progfilesindesign.jpg in any of your 3 diagrams in post #67.

    And please stop trying to discuss ten subjects all at once.

    Get your file backups done, get the system image done, fix the account profile.
    Then you can number all the faults in order of priority and we can work through them one by one. I will suggest the read-only issue as priority number 1 but it will be your decision.

    Denis
    this file should be it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails I have a corrupt profile after a windows update. Can I repair advice?-progfilesindesign.jpg  
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 11,360
    Windows 10 Home x64 Version 21H2 Build 19044.1706
       #82

    That diagram does not show the file progfilesindesign.jpg and the diagram does not display the attributes of any of the files in the selected folder.

    Instead of showing folder properties, select a file that you believe is read-only then right-click, Properties and post that. Here is an example - it shows that the file called ATestDitch.txt is read-only.
    I have a corrupt profile after a windows update. Can I repair advice?-file-r-attribute-shown.png

    Denis
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 181
    windows 10 anniversary ed
    Thread Starter
       #83

    Try3 said:
    That diagram does not show the file progfilesindesign.jpg and the diagram does not display the attributes of any of the files in the selected folder.

    Denis
    For some reason, when I clicked on that icon, it did that. Sometimes when I have right clicked on various file properties, it kept bringing up folder properties. The file itself does not show read only. I did not yet find any files that are read only. I cannot tell if any fonts are read only. all of the folders are read only. However, those files in the program files directories will not let me copy them for some reason.

    I am also concerned about what I will do about the office files.
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 11,360
    Windows 10 Home x64 Version 21H2 Build 19044.1706
       #84

    Joshua,

    Fonts are a special case anyway. You cannot read their properties in the way that you can other files.

    "The file itself does not show read only" so I think the issue will better be dealt with later when the immediate tasks have been completed.

    Try3 said:
    1 Get your file backups done,
    2 get the system image done,
    3 fix the account profile [or decide to use one of the new Admin accounts you said you had created]
    4 and test the account's ability to run Admin tasks.

    Then you can number all the remaining faults in order of priority and we can work through them one by one. I will suggest the read-only issue as priority number 1 but it will be your decision.

    Denis
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 181
    windows 10 anniversary ed
    Thread Starter
       #85

    What do I do if all I have access to are external hard drives for backups, and a usb? I have to go out of town, and the town that I am going to does not have electronics stores. i might be able to use Amazon to get something to make a disc image. I don't really have a separate computer system. I only have this one. Is this in case my hard drive crashes, or in case windows won't boot?

    Even though those other files are not read-only, I know that for some reason they didn't copy. what do I do?
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 11,360
    Windows 10 Home x64 Version 21H2 Build 19044.1706
       #86

    JoshuaM said:
    What do I do if all I have access to are external hard drives for backups, and a usb? I have to go out of town, and the town that I am going to does not have electronics stores. i might be able to use Amazon to get something to make a disc image. I don't really have a separate computer system. I only have this one. Is this in case my hard drive crashes, or in case windows won't boot?
    Even though those other files are not read-only, I know that for some reason they didn't copy. what do I do?
    Focus on the task in hand and stop wandering off into other issues that can be discussed equally well later on.

    Try3 said:
    1 Get your file backups done,
    2 get the system image done,
    3 fix the account profile [or decide to use one of the new Admin accounts you said you had created]
    4 and test the account's ability to run Admin tasks.

    Then you can number all the remaining faults in order of priority and we can work through them one by one. I will suggest the read-only issue as priority number 1 but it will be your decision.


    You do not need to use Amazon yet. You have your external hard drive [for your system image and for your file backups] and you have your USB [for your InstallUSB]. Your desire to have two of each is fine but the immediate priority is to recover your system.
    - When the job is done, you can discuss such things. For example, I also have two external drives. One month I save my system image & my file backups on one of them. The next month I put them on the other one.

    About the files that do not copy. You do what I suggested - use the InstallUSB and Notepad to try to copy them free of all permissions constraints [which is what I expect we will eventually identify as being the cause of the copying problem].

    But for now - stop being distracted.
    Try3 said:
    1 Get your file backups done,
    2 get the system image done,
    3 fix the account profile [or decide to use one of the new Admin accounts you said you had created]
    4 and test the account's ability to run Admin tasks.

    Then you can number all the remaining faults in order of priority and we can work through them one by one. I will suggest the read-only issue as priority number 1 but it will be your decision.

    Denis
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 181
    windows 10 anniversary ed
    Thread Starter
       #87

    I haven't been able to do those things yet as we went out of town and are in another city. Regarding repairing the profile, I was looking at the post about editing the registry, and I noticed that were different people having different results with deleting the registration key. For me, logging into the Microsoft account (which is an administrator account) does not give me those privileges. I am not sure if has to be done from another account, but I noticed that several people still kept getting temp accounts, and the same errors. I noticed that when they did, they all replied to that thread. What do I do, if I have those errors? I noticed that sometimes Brink just had people do a repair install. For some people, deleting that key works, but for some people, it doesn't work. I have edited registry keys before, but I never edited those type of registry keys before.
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 11,360
    Windows 10 Home x64 Version 21H2 Build 19044.1706
       #88

    JoshuaM said:
    I haven't been able to do those things yet as we went out of town and are in another city. Regarding repairing the profile, I was looking at the post about editing the registry, and I noticed that were different people having different results with deleting the registration key. For me, logging into the Microsoft account (which is an administrator account) does not give me those privileges. I am not sure if has to be done from another account, but I noticed that several people still kept getting temp accounts, and the same errors. I noticed that when they did, they all replied to that thread. What do I do, if I have those errors? I noticed that sometimes Brink just had people do a repair install. For some people, deleting that key works, but for some people, it doesn't work. I have edited registry keys before, but I never edited those type of registry keys before.

    Have you done this yet?
    Try3 said:
    1 Get your file backups done,
    2 get the system image done

    Denis
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 82
    Windows 11 Pro (21H2)
       #89

    Please stay away from other fixes for your problems and just stay focused on the 2 tasks Denis has set for you.

    Then we can move forward together with the rest.
      My Computers


  10. Posts : 181
    windows 10 anniversary ed
    Thread Starter
       #90

    PenPusher said:
    Please stay away from other fixes for your problems and just stay focused on the 2 tasks Denis has set for you.

    Then we can move forward together with the rest.
    So, I was wondering if your site will still be able to help with this problem once I am able to back up data and do a disc image? I have not been able to do these things due to various things going on. Also, sometime after the profile got corrupted, a google chrome update seemed to cause Windows to freeze every once in a while. Then another Chrome update seemed to cause it to freeze frequently. However, I do not know the exact reason, but suddenly, when no browser was running, suddenly windows would freeze. I had noticed that another Windows update had installed even though I was on a metered connection, and suddenly a screen saver was enabled that was not previously enabled. Previously, Windows would only go to a lock screen when it was not active. Indeed, I previously had thought about using a screen saver, but I did not see an option. Sometimes recently, Windows would freeze after leaving screen saver mode, or just being inactive for a few minutes, and the cursor would go into a mouse pointer with a ring by it. Also, I tried moving data from Chrome to Edge, and even with hardly any extensions, and it occasionally freezes. I noticed that after uninstalling mcaffee, it hardly freezes, but it still does sometimes. I uninstalled expired mcaffee due to someone from microsoft community forums telling me to do so. However, they told me to submit system logs, and it showed something mentioning about a corrected hardware failure. i did not have Windows freezing at all until a Chrome update a while ago, and it got worse after a recent Chrome update.

    So, I had wanted to see if you can still help after doing what you told me to do, as I think that it might be easier to do be able to do it now. Indeed, there was so much going on between two homes, and getting sick over these months... But I thought that those other things that happened with my laptop might be important details, and might have nothing to do with the corrupted profile. I wonder if something else might need to be addressed.
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 17:11.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums