Windows 10: I changed my windows username, password stopped working Solved


  1. Posts : 3
    Windows 10 32bit
       20 Aug 2015 #1

    I changed my windows username, password stopped working


    I changed my username on Windows 10, and after a while I logged out. Then when I try to log back, it asks for password, but my old password doesnt work. I also tried putting blank password (not writing anything) but that doesn't work either.

    How can I return to using my computer?
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 705
    Windows 10 Pro x64
       20 Aug 2015 #2

    Hi sirtis and welcome to the forum.

    Firstly, have you checked and confirmed that Capslock and Numlock are both correctly set when you are inputting your password?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    20 Aug 2015 #3

    sirtus said: View Post
    I changed my username on Windows 10, and after a while I logged out. Then when I try to log back, it asks for password, but my old password doesnt work. I also tried putting blank password (not writing anything) but that doesn't work either.
    Try rebooting.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    20 Aug 2015 #4

    sirtus said: View Post
    I changed my username on Windows 10, and after a while I logged out. Then when I try to log back, it asks for password, but my old password doesnt work. I also tried putting blank password (not writing anything) but that doesn't work either.

    How can I return to using my computer?
    Interesting.. and you didn't write down your new password??
    Q, How did you change your username?? Did you change the MSA account?
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  5. Posts : 3
    Windows 10 32bit
    Thread Starter
       20 Aug 2015 #5

    I changed my username like in this guide: How To Change User Account Name In Windows 8 (Yeah I know it's for Windows 8, my mistake)
    Pressed Windows+R, typed netplwiz, changed my username, and next time I try to login my password doesnt work.

    I was able to use system restore point (or whatever it's called in english) to restore computer to earlier state and it works now
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    20 Aug 2015 #6

    sirtus said: View Post
    I changed my username like in this guide: How To Change User Account Name In Windows 8 (Yeah I know it's for Windows 8, my mistake)
    Pressed Windows+R, typed netplwiz, changed my username, and next time I try to login my password doesnt work.

    I was able to use system restore point (or whatever it's called in english) to restore computer to earlier state and it works now
    Glad to hear this.

    Jeff
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    22 Aug 2015 #7

    sirtus said: View Post
    I changed my username like in this guide: How To Change User Account Name In Windows 8 (Yeah I know it's for Windows 8, my mistake)
    Pressed Windows+R, typed netplwiz, changed my username, and next time I try to login my password doesnt work.

    I was able to use system restore point (or whatever it's called in english) to restore computer to earlier state and it works now
    If your user doesn't own any EFS encrypted files, then you can use this approach:


    1. Create (or make sure you have) an administrator ID other than your own user.
    2. Make sure you can logon to this ID (i.e. you know its' password)
    3. Make the change to your username.
    4. Logon as your other administrator
    5. Go to "Control Panel" -> "User Accounts" (I don't know if Windows 10 has a "native" equivalent)
    6. Manage another account
    7. Click your username
    8. Change the password.


    If you have EFS encrypted files, and you go this route, then you'll no longer be able to access their content. I use an encrypting backup mechanism to backup my encrypted files to a file which is not EFS encrypted. If you adopt this approach, then make sure that you can recover files from the backup before changing your own username!

    To see if you have encrypted files, issue the command: cipher /u /n
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  8. Posts : 1
    Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
       26 Aug 2015 #8

    2 steps need to be followed :-

    1) Change user name using "lusrmgr.msc" from run(win+R)
    2) After restart or shutdown, when login problems occur, use "netplwiz" and toggle using sign in and save.

    That's it. I have followed,basically,invented this measure and reaping the rewards
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 

Related Threads
My Login screen used to have only my name on it and yesterday after clicking on "Verify" and going thru several screens and rebooting, I noticed that my name and Hotmail address are both on my Login screen and the Windows 10 password has been...
Windows 10 changed my username on Local Disk in User Accounts and Family Safety
I'm not sure how to phrase it, but on previous editions of Windows. My username would be my actual name. When I went to the User folder on my local disc, the user folder said EchoX which is my Microsoft email. How can I change it back to Joshua
Username or password incorrect in User Accounts and Family Safety
I've previously run netplwiz from the command prompt to disable the sign in process in Windows 10. 24001 Which worked fine in build 10049 but in 10158 & 10166 I now get this error message 23986 I don't understand how this message can...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 22:47.
Find Us