Trouble eliminating login


  1. Posts : 83
    Windows 10 Pro
       #1

    Trouble eliminating login


    I have a new PC that's used for controlling a milling machine and nothing else. It's not connected to any network, though it was when I was setting it up elsewhere in my house; there's no network access in the garage where it is now. I'm tired of having to always enter a PIN when it powers up, so I disabled “Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer” in the User Accounts window and rebooted. Now when I boot the system it says, "We are unable to connect now. Please check your network and try again later." I click "OK" and it asks for my PIN, just as it did before, so logging in has become MORE complicated. How can I eliminate the login screen once and for all?
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 34,926
    Win 10 Pro (1903) (2nd PC is 21H2)
       #2

    Have you tried
    Sign in User Account Automatically at Windows 10 Startup
    - no login at all.

    Covers both local and MS accounts.
    To Turn On Automatic Sign in for a Local Account or Microsoft Account
    Last edited by dalchina; 13 Jun 2020 at 02:57.
      My Computers


  3. Posts : 11,367
    Windows 10 Home x64 Version 21H2 Build 19044.1706
       #3

    It sounds like you created an MSAccount-linked account on the computer.

    Convert it into a local account
    Change Account Type - TenForumsTutorials

    Or make a local user account to use instead.
    Add Local Account or Microsoft Account - TenForumsTutorials

    Then you should be able to use the bypass method again without any issues
    Sign in User Account Automatically - TenForumsTutorials

    Denis
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 83
    Windows 10 Pro
    Thread Starter
       #4

    Try3 said:
    It sounds like you created an MSAccount-linked account on the computer.
    Convert it into a local account
    Change Account Type - TenForumsTutorials

    Or make a local user account to use instead.
    Add Local Account or Microsoft Account - TenForumsTutorials

    Then you should be able to use the bypass method again without any issues
    Sign in User Account Automatically - TenForumsTutorials

    Denis
    Thanks, Denis, but the first link only tells how to create accounts, not how to change an MSA to a local. I'm not anxious to create a new one since I've already configured everything under my Admin account and I'd have to do it all over again for a new one. Unless there's a way to convert an MSA to a local, it looks like I'm stuck with this. F'ing Microsoft strikes again, protecting me from myself.
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 34,926
    Win 10 Pro (1903) (2nd PC is 21H2)
       #5

    Unless there's a way to convert an MSA to a local
    See
    Switch to Local Account in Windows 10

    from searchable list
    Windows 10 Tutorial Index

    Perhaps too soon to blame (rude word - kindly delete) MS
      My Computers


  6. Posts : 83
    Windows 10 Pro
    Thread Starter
       #6

    dalchina said:
    See
    Switch to Local Account in Windows 10

    from searchable list
    Windows 10 Tutorial Index

    Perhaps too soon to blame (rude word - kindly delete) MS
    That tutorial explains how to create a local account, and switch to it, once signed in to an MSA. What I want to do is convert my MSA to a local account, which will then allow me to auto-boot to the desktop without logging in. While I don’t mind creating a new account for this, there’s a lot of configuration that went into the MSA that I don’t want to repeat for a new account.
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 34,926
    Win 10 Pro (1903) (2nd PC is 21H2)
       #7

    Thank you for your reply.


    No, it explains how to switch FROM a MS account TO a local account.

    Step 2 says:
    Click/tap on Your info on the left side, click/tap on the Sign in with a local account instead link on the right..

    instead of what? instead of your MS account.

    You can clearly see from the screenshot the existing account is a MS account.
      My Computers


  8. Posts : 83
    Windows 10 Pro
    Thread Starter
       #8

    Ah, yes. You are correct. It works. Thanks very much for your help. I take back what I said about Microsoft.
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 34,926
    Win 10 Pro (1903) (2nd PC is 21H2)
       #9

      My Computers


  10. Posts : 11,367
    Windows 10 Home x64 Version 21H2 Build 19044.1706
       #10

    Involute said:
    Thanks, Denis, but the first link only tells how to create accounts, not how to change an MSA to a local. I'm not anxious to create a new one since I've already configured everything under my Admin account and I'd have to do it all over again for a new one. Unless there's a way to convert an MSA to a local, it looks like I'm stuck with this. F'ing Microsoft strikes again, protecting me from myself.
    You're quite right. I meant to post a link to Switch to Local Account - TenForumsTutorials and did not notice that I'd posted the wrong one. Dalchina gave you the right link and I can see that you have done the job now.

    Denis
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:51.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums