Login Screen Has Two Options  


  1. Posts : 183
    Windows 10 Pro x64 21H2
       #1

    Login Screen Has Two Options


    At first I thought that my login screen had two signin options because of my school account, but I disconnected my school account, but my login screen still has two options when I login. The annoying part about this is that it defaults to the login that requires a password--which I don't use--and ends up saying that the login failed, try again. Since I don't know which account it's trying to access, I don't attempt to enter a password. Instead, I select the other account, which tells me to enter a pin number that I do know. I just don't know how to get rid of the second login, to which Windows keeps defaulting and asking for a password. Does anyone know how to delete this second login?
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 18,319
    Windows 11 Pro
       #2

    Press the Windows + R keys and enter:
    netplwiz

    in the run dialog box. How many accounts are listed there?

    Login Screen Has Two Options-capture.jpg
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 183
    Windows 10 Pro x64 21H2
    Thread Starter
       #3

    NavyLCDR said:
    Press the Windows + R keys and enter:
    netplwiz

    in the run dialog box. How many accounts are listed there?

    Login Screen Has Two Options-capture.jpg
    There's only one account there.
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 18,319
    Windows 11 Pro
       #4

    TONPumper said:
    There's only one account there.
    Then in netplwiz, uncheck the box that says "Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer". Click Apply. When the windows pops up asking for a user name and password, click Cancel. Make sure the check box for "Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer" is checked again, and click OK.
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 183
    Windows 10 Pro x64 21H2
    Thread Starter
       #5

    NavyLCDR said:
    Then in netplwiz, uncheck the box that says "Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer". Click Apply. When the windows pops up asking for a user name and password, click Cancel. Make sure the check box for "Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer" is checked again, and click OK.
    The box is unchecked
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 18,319
    Windows 11 Pro
       #6

    TONPumper said:
    The box is unchecked
    So you have an automatic login set up? You have an automatic login set up, and it currently has the wrong password.

    Sign in User Account Automatically at Windows 10 Startup
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 183
    Windows 10 Pro x64 21H2
    Thread Starter
       #7

    NavyLCDR said:
    So you have an automatic login set up? You have an automatic login set up, and it currently has the wrong password.

    Sign in User Account Automatically at Windows 10 Startup
    No, it's not automatic. I have to enter my pin. The pin is fine, but when I reboot, Win10 defaults to asking me for a password from a work account--I guess--and says that the password failed. I don't get a chance to enter a password, so I don't know how the password is wrong. I did see a website that said if you change your computer name, it will cause this issue. I did rename my computer, but how do I get rid of an old computer name?

    - - - Updated - - -

    NavyLCDR said:
    So you have an automatic login set up? You have an automatic login set up, and it currently has the wrong password.

    Sign in User Account Automatically at Windows 10 Startup
    Never mind. This guy knows. I just checked the box about a password, and magically, they were only asking for my pin. Thank you for all of your help!
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 183
    Windows 10 Pro x64 21H2
    Thread Starter
       #8

    To add to this post, I just had to uncheck the option to enter the password at login. I did change my computer name, so I don't know if that took a minute to update in my system, but it is fixed now.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Login Screen Has Two Options-checkmybrain.png  
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 16:09.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums