View Poll Results: How Many Useers Have Moved Users Folder to Another Drive

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • I have not moved my entire users folder to another drive.

    4 50.00%
  • I have moved the users folder using an answer file at instillation

    1 12.50%
  • I have moved the users folder using sym links.

    0 0%
  • I have moved individual sub-folders using the Location tab

    3 37.50%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    07 Aug 2015 #1

    Poll User Folder Location


    I am curious as to how many people have moved their entire Users folder to another drive.
    The pole will last a week.
    Last edited by andrew124C41; 10 Aug 2015 at 11:02.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    07 Aug 2015 #2
    Join Date : Jan 2014
    Oak Ridge TN, USA
    Posts : 24,523
    Windows 10 Pro x64

    I never keep anything that I need on the same drive as my OS. I have it all on a separate HDD and I back that up to the cloud.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    07 Aug 2015 #3
    Join Date : Jun 2015
    Posts : 113
    Windows 10

    I always move them. And some of my HDD's have been through so many Operating systems (or reinstalls of Operating Systems) that there are often now folders such as My 2012 Pictures, My 2013 Pictures, My old Windows vista documents, Old Win 7 Documents, Old Win 7_2 Documents etc.

    I won't keep them on the OS HDD, it's just too easy for me to forget to back them up when I need to do a reformat and reinstall of the OS. Keeping them on another drive means they're likely going to be there after a OS reinstall assuming the HDD they're on doesn't take a dump.

    In general I only keep stuff on my OS drive that doesn't mean anything to me, like when Nvidia unpacks it's files to C:\Nvidia, but anything that I might even remotely want to hold onto gets moved to a different HDD.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    07 Aug 2015 #4
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Posts : 441
    Windows 10

    Quote Originally Posted by BunnyJ View Post
    I never keep anything that I need on the same drive as my OS. I have it all on a separate HDD and I back that up to the cloud.
    Same Nothing on my OS drive.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    08 Aug 2015 #5

    Quote Originally Posted by BunnyJ View Post
    I never keep anything that I need on the same drive as my OS. I have it all on a separate HDD and I back that up to the cloud.
    What I am interested in is what methodology was used to do this:

    1) Move entire users folder at instillation via answer file
    2) Move entire users folder via sym links
    3) Move sub folders via Location tab

    Thanks
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    08 Aug 2015 #6

    Quote Originally Posted by Traijan View Post
    I always move them. And some of my HDD's have been through so many Operating systems (or reinstalls of Operating Systems) that there are often now folders such as My 2012 Pictures, My 2013 Pictures, My old Windows vista documents, Old Win 7 Documents, Old Win 7_2 Documents etc.

    I won't keep them on the OS HDD, it's just too easy for me to forget to back them up when I need to do a reformat and reinstall of the OS. Keeping them on another drive means they're likely going to be there after a OS reinstall assuming the HDD they're on doesn't take a dump.

    In general I only keep stuff on my OS drive that doesn't mean anything to me, like when Nvidia unpacks it's files to C:\Nvidia, but anything that I might even remotely want to hold onto gets moved to a different HDD.
    What I am interested in is what methodology was used to do this:

    1) Move entire users folder at instillation via answer file
    2) Move entire users folder via sym links
    3) Move sub folders via Location tab

    Thanks
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    08 Aug 2015 #7

    Quote Originally Posted by Bazz View Post
    Same Nothing on my OS drive.
    What I am interested in is what methodology was used to do this:

    1) Move entire users folder at instillation via answer file
    2) Move entire users folder via sym links
    3) Move sub folders via Location tab

    Thanks
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    08 Aug 2015 #8
    Join Date : Jan 2014
    Oak Ridge TN, USA
    Posts : 24,523
    Windows 10 Pro x64

    Quote Originally Posted by andrew124C41 View Post
    What I am interested in is what methodology was used to do this:

    1) Move entire users folder at instillation via answer file
    2) Move entire users folder via sym links
    3) Move sub folders via Location tab

    Thanks
    I never use the user folders I just store the data I create on a separate drive.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  9.    08 Aug 2015 #9
    Join Date : Nov 2013
    Land of 10,000 lakes
    Posts : 10,382
    W10 Pro, W10 Home

    Quote Originally Posted by BunnyJ View Post
    I never use the user folders I just store the data I create on a separate drive.
    Same here. I find easier to create my own set of folders on a separate drive, than use the generic folders that Windows provides.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  10.    08 Aug 2015 #10
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Trnava
    Posts : 2,944
    10.4 Home 1709 x64

    I did not, but it is not like I keep anything in User's folders, expect desktop, that is.
    Anyone keeping anything in them has to be a very brave person, they are the first to go.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Installation & Upgrade Move Users Folder Location in Windows 10
How to Move Users Folder to another Location in Windows 10 The method described in this tutorial allows relocating Windows 10 main profile folder Users including all present and future user profiles and folders while installing Windows, before...
Tutorials
Rename user folder?
Hello. I guess since i installed windows 10 using my microsoft account, my user folder got named after my microsoft mail, or some part of it anyway. So am wondering if it's possible to rename the user folder somehow?
User Accounts and Family Safety
Solved Duplicate subfolders in User folder
Hi there. Have been working with Build 10074 for several days. Just realized yesterday that my main user folder has duplicate sub-folders (2 Documents, 2 Music, 2 Videos, 2 Downloads, 2 Pictures). They are the same size, have the same properties)....
General Support
Missing Desktop link in user folder ?
Please can anyone help me with a small problem ? if I right click on my music icon in explorer I can change the location of its contents in the location tab which I was trying to do, as I have my Mp3s in a music folder on my D Drive. whilst...
General Support
Solved Startup Folder Location
Exactly where is the Startup Folder for Windows 10 located? Thank you.
General Support
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:03.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums