Windows 10: Switching user at startup.

  1.    06 Aug 2015 #1

    Switching user at startup.


    Hello, I inherited a laptop from my dad which I put Windows 10 onto last week. I know the admin username and password but not the login details of his girlfriend (Not on speaking terms).

    Unfortunately today, the laptop has decided to startup showing her account and is asking for her password. Without knowing her password all I can do is use the three icons at the bottom right of the screen to change wireless, change accessibility options and Sleep, Shut down, Restart.

    Is there any way to get the laptop to boot up and ask for the administrator username and password instead? I cannot find anyway to switch the user.

    Cheers in advance!
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 20,731
    64-bit Windows 10 Pro build 16199
       06 Aug 2015 #2

    Hello Matt, and welcome to Ten Forums.

    If there's another account on the PC, then you should be able to select it at the bottom left corner of the sign-in screen like below to then be able to sign in to it.

    Switch User in Windows 10


    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	26172d1438029241-pin-add-your-account-windows-10-a-default_sign_in_screen.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	65.6 KB 
ID:	28976
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  3.    06 Aug 2015 #3

    My screen is different


    Hi, thanks for the reply.

    I am getting a slightly different screen with no icons at the bottom left hand side, no sign-in options and an rightward facing arrow to the left of the password box.

    Apparently it is locked? but I cannot unlock it without a password.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  4. Posts : 20,731
    64-bit Windows 10 Pro build 16199
       06 Aug 2015 #4

    It would be the same on the lock screen if there was another account on the PC.

    It looks like you may need to clean install Windows 10 then.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  5.    29 Aug 2015 #5

    Hi
    I am having exactly the same problem as Matt Barrett. Just upgraded to Windows 10 yesterday. I am the administrator and my daughter has an account on the laptop as well. The upgrade was carried out whilst she was logged on and I didn't log in after the upgrade.
    This morning I have turned the computer on to find no option for me to log in. I have the same screen as Matt Barrett describes, not the one you have shown in your screenshot. I have only options to log in, change wireless, change accessibility and sleep, shut down or restart. No option to switch user. No evidence of my account even existing. Matt Barrett, what did you do in the end? Did you manage to resolve the login issue? What would you recommend doing from here?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    29 Aug 2015 #6

    StarbrightRuby said: View Post
    Hi
    I am having exactly the same problem as Matt Barrett. Just upgraded to Windows 10 yesterday. I am the administrator and my daughter has an account on the laptop as well. The upgrade was carried out whilst she was logged on and I didn't log in after the upgrade.
    This morning I have turned the computer on to find no option for me to log in. I have the same screen as Matt Barrett describes, not the one you have shown in your screenshot. I have only options to log in, change wireless, change accessibility and sleep, shut down or restart. No option to switch user. No evidence of my account even existing. Matt Barrett, what did you do in the end? Did you manage to resolve the login issue? What would you recommend doing from here?
    I think we have resolved the problem. The key is not to log out! I was logged out when the computer was turned off last night, but my daughter has just turned the power off and not specifically logged out. My daughter logged in this morning and from there she was able to switch user so that I could log in. We then turned the power off, without logging out, and restarted the computer. Both our accounts were then visible on the log in screen on startup. We will now not be logging out of our accounts! It is possible to switch between the accounts and the password is still needed to log in, so it is still secure.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    31 Aug 2015 #7

    I would like to see that screen of Matt's at start up. However, when I turn on it logs straight into my account. If anyone else switches on they go to my account and then have to switch.
    I have seen the screen shown above - I get to that if I 'sign out'. It doesn't seem to make sense that this isn't the default screen at start up but rather whoever starts up has to go through my account before getting to theirs.
    Not a major issue but just seems daft and is very annoying!
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  8. Posts : 20,731
    64-bit Windows 10 Pro build 16199
       31 Aug 2015 #8

    sputnikdinsdale said: View Post
    I would like to see that screen of Matt's at start up. However, when I turn on it logs straight into my account. If anyone else switches on they go to my account and then have to switch.
    I have seen the screen shown above - I get to that if I 'sign out'. It doesn't seem to make sense that this isn't the default screen at start up but rather whoever starts up has to go through my account before getting to theirs.
    Not a major issue but just seems daft and is very annoying!
    Hello sputnikdinsdale, and welcome to Ten Forums.

    It sounds like you have Windows set to automatically sign in to that account at startup. Checking the Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer box in netplwiz should sort this for you.

    Sign in User Account Automatically at Windows 10 Startup
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  9.    01 Sep 2015 #9

    Brink said: View Post
    Hello sputnikdinsdale, and welcome to Ten Forums.

    It sounds like you have Windows set to automatically sign in to that account at startup. Checking the Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer box in netplwiz should sort this for you.

    Sign in User Account Automatically at Windows 10 Startup
    No, that box is already checked and I did see that it says this means it won't log directly into a user account, but it does. These are all local accounts without passwords - we don't want or need passwords or a Microsoft account, just want the simple user settings that we enjoyed with previous versions.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 

Related Threads
How to Automatically Sign in to User Account at Startup in Windows 10 Windows 10 has a new sign in screen that is more modern and touch friendly. By default, you need to dismiss the lock screen and enter your credentials on the Sign-in screen to...
Fast user switching signs me out in User Accounts and Family Safety
I have 3 local user accounts. When I try to switch between them, my apps are closed and I get signed out. I've tried the 6 different methods in this tutorial The Switch User option does not appear in the option list in response to Ctrl+Alt+Del....
Problems Switching Accounts in User Accounts and Family Safety
I switched to a local account but cannot switch back to a MS account. I go through the loops of putting in my email addess and password then authorising it on my phone but nothing changes at all. I am using build 10240 and have not had any...
I'm thinking that Spartan will fix the major complaints I have with Internet Explorer and so I intend to switch over from Firefox.
Hi there Now that I can run Win 10 at least until OCTOBER (build 9926 extends till oct 1st) I am ditching my Win 8.1 Enterprise system -- was an old TechNet copy anyway. Windows 8.1 while better than 8 isn't going anywhere either. The only...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:41.
Find Us