Windows 10 Enterprise: Is it possible to setup for a single user?


  1. Posts : 4
    Windows 10 Enterprise
       #1

    Windows 10 Enterprise: Is it possible to setup for a single user?


    I am trying to figure out how to tell Windows 10 Enterprise that there is, and always will be, just one user account on the machine.

    My goal is to fully block and prevent the use of the Public folder. I also want to fully block and prevent the use of the "all users" folder for start menu shortcuts.

    I know the Public folder can be hidden. This does not prevent third-party software from using it, which means I still need to check multiple locations for files that were saved during certain installation processes. DevExpress and Adobe are two companies that dump a great many files into the Public folder, and they are just examples.

    Some Open/Save windows also default to the Public folder even if hidden.

    The same happens when applications install without giving the option of installing only for the current user. Many dump their application shortcuts into the all users folder of the start menu.

    So, what I am trying to do is somehow tell Windows 10 that on the machine in question, from now until the end of time, there is just a single user and these extraneous folders do not need to exist.

    Thanks for any hints on how to accomplish this, assuming it is possible.
      My Computer

  2. cereberus's Avatar
    Posts : 11,326
    Windows10
       #2

    TH56ER said:
    I am trying to figure out how to tell Windows 10 Enterprise that there is, and always will be, just one user account on the machine.

    My goal is to fully block and prevent the use of the Public folder. I also want to fully block and prevent the use of the "all users" folder for start menu shortcuts.

    I know the Public folder can be hidden. This does not prevent third-party software from using it, which means I still need to check multiple locations for files that were saved during certain installation processes. DevExpress and Adobe are two companies that dump a great many files into the Public folder, and they are just examples.

    Some Open/Save windows also default to the Public folder even if hidden.

    The same happens when applications install without giving the option of installing only for the current user. Many dump their application shortcuts into the all users folder of the start menu.

    So, what I am trying to do is somehow tell Windows 10 that on the machine in question, from now until the end of time, there is just a single user and these extraneous folders do not need to exist.
    Thanks for any hints on how to accomplish this, assuming it is possible.
    If there is only ever going to be one user, what is the point of doing this?



    You are meddling with system folders and that is always a way to grief.
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 4
    Windows 10 Enterprise
    Thread Starter
       #3

    cereberus said:
    If there is only ever going to be one user, what is the point of doing this?



    You are meddling with system folders and that is always a way to grief.
    Trolling non-answer.

    1. My question does not need justification. It is a question; there is either a way to do what I seek or there is not.
    2. You make typical troll assumptions. I never asked for a hack or a way to circumvent the system. Perhaps there is a group policy way of doing it in the Enterprise edition of Windows 10; I do not know, that is why the question was asked.

    If you do not know the answer, please move along.
      My Computer

  4. Samuria's Avatar
    Posts : 4,954
    windows 10
       #4

    Is this for home use or a company as this edition won't activate from ms servers as it's for large companies
      My Computer

  5. Bree's Avatar
    Posts : 15,283
    10 Home x64 (1909) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)
       #5

    TH56ER said:
    Trolling non-answer.
    1. My question does not need justification. It is a question...
    ...If you do not know the answer, please move along.
    There is no need to call a respected member of this forum a troll. Just because you don't like the answer doesn't mean it is wrong.

    The All Users start menu is an integral part of the Windows system and required not just for installing third-party software but is also used by the Windows system itself. On the All apps list, Windows Accessories, Windows Administrative Tools, and Windows System are all part of the All Users folder. Blocking access to this folder is asking for trouble.
      My Computers

  6. cereberus's Avatar
    Posts : 11,326
    Windows10
       #6

    TH56ER said:
    Trolling non-answer.

    1. My question does not need justification. It is a question; there is either a way to do what I seek or there is not.
    2. You make typical troll assumptions. I never asked for a hack or a way to circumvent the system. Perhaps there is a group policy way of doing it in the Enterprise edition of Windows 10; I do not know, that is why the question was asked.

    If you do not know the answer, please move along.
    I do not bloody troll. My response is perfect valid. If you do not like people challenging you, please move along.

    PS @Bree - thanks.
      My Computer


  7. EdTittel's Avatar
    Posts : 3,752
    Windows 10
       #7

    Yes, it is possible. If you have an MSDN subscription (now called "My Visual Studio") it includes an item called Windows 10 1903 business editions. Here's what it includes. clipped from the downloads page therein:
    Windows 10 Enterprise: Is it possible to setup for a single user?-image.png
    I am running Enterprise on my production PC from this distribution right now. If you don't have such a subscription the only way to get Enterprise is through some kind of volume license agreement with MS or one of its authorized resellers.
    HTH,
    --Ed--

    Windows 10 Enterprise: Is it possible to setup for a single user?-image.png
      My Computers

  8. jimbo45's Avatar
    Posts : 9,052
    Windows / Linux : Arch Linux
       #8

    Hi there
    Calling a respected and long time user of this Forum with over 10,000 posts a Troll or even suggesting a trolling post is completely bonkers coming from an individual with a mere 4 posts to his name.

    It's utterly absurd in doing what you suggest even if it's technically possible -- especially as you have confirmed that you are the only user.

    I should just be a bit quieter in future if I were you.

    Cheers
    jimbo
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 132
    Windows 10 Pro
       #9

    I quite agree and would even go so far as to say that anyone doing this should simply be told to seek assistance elsewhere.
      My Computer


 

Related Threads
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 17:33.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums