Sync Any Folder to OneDrive in Windows 10  

Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

  1. Posts : 8
    windows 10
       #30

    Brink said:
    Hello Rahul Dev, and welcome to Ten Forums.

    Correct. Using this method to sync a folder with OneDrive will work just like any other folder in your OneDrive folder for syncing as long as you have an Internet connection to be able to sync to the online OneDrive (cloud).
    Shawn, Thanks for your reply. I used this method & found it working fine.

    I've three more queries:

    1. What will happen to my folder on OneDrive if I move my folder on my PC? Will both folders will remain in sync?
    2. I've found that if I delete one folder accidentally from OneDrive which is synced with the same folder on PC through this method, the folder on the PC also gets deleted. How to prevent deleting folders/files from PC?
    3. I've three folders on my PC, for example, A(100GB), B(50GB) & C(25GB). A contains folder B which contains folder C. In a way, the path looks like this on PC: C:\A\B\C on PC. But I want to keep these folders synced separately on OneDrive without duplicating & also without shifting them on my PC. On OneDrive it will look like this Files>A(50GB); Files>B(25GB); Files>C(25GB). Is it possible? If yes, how?

    Regards,

    Rahul Dev
      My Computer

  2. Brink's Avatar
    Posts : 56,311
    64-bit Windows 10 Pro for Workstations build 21359
    Thread Starter
       #31

    Rahul Dev said:
    Shawn, Thanks for your reply. I used this method & found it working fine.

    I've three more queries:

    1. What will happen to my folder on OneDrive if I move my folder on my PC? Will both folders will remain in sync?
    2. I've found that if I delete one folder accidentally from OneDrive which is synced with the same folder on PC through this method, the folder on the PC also gets deleted. How to prevent deleting folders/files from PC?
    3. I've three folders on my PC, for example, A(100GB), B(50GB) & C(25GB). A contains folder B which contains folder C. In a way, the path looks like this on PC: C:\A\B\C on PC. But I want to keep these folders synced separately on OneDrive without duplicating & also without shifting them on my PC. On OneDrive it will look like this Files>A(50GB); Files>B(25GB); Files>C(25GB). Is it possible? If yes, how?

    Regards,

    Rahul Dev

    Q1) Moving the source folder will break the sync link. You would then just need to do this tutorial again to sync it.

    Q2) If you delete the synced folder in OneDrive and not the source folder, the source folder shouldn't get deleted. If you delete any contents of the synced folder in OneDrive, it will also delete the contents in the source folder.

    Q3) The easiest way to do this would be to have the source folders separated and not within each other.
      My Computers


  3. Posts : 1
    w7, w10
       #32

    Hi!

    Thanks for this guide, been using it to sync my work folder to our company onedrive.

    question:

    my work computer is a w7 machine, and company is finally updating them to w10.
    the process will clear everything off my computer.

    after the update, i will just setup company onedrive, and copy the folder back to my computer, and redo the link?
      My Computer

  4. Brink's Avatar
    Posts : 56,311
    64-bit Windows 10 Pro for Workstations build 21359
    Thread Starter
       #33

    Jormaki said:
    Hi!

    Thanks for this guide, been using it to sync my work folder to our company onedrive.

    question:

    my work computer is a w7 machine, and company is finally updating them to w10.
    the process will clear everything off my computer.

    after the update, i will just setup company onedrive, and copy the folder back to my computer, and redo the link?
    Hello Jormaki, and welcome to Ten Forums.

    OneDrive is fully integrated into Windows 10 by default, so any online OneDrive content will automatically sync to your OneDrive folder on the PC once you are signed into OneDrive on the PC.

    Anything not in the online OneDrive will need to be copied back though.

    If you have other folders you wanted to sync with OneDrive, then you could use the method in this tutorial to link it.

    To be safe, always backup anything you do not want to lose from W7 first.
      My Computers


  5. Posts : 8
    windows 10
       #34

    Hi Shawn,

    Trust all is well.

    Shawn, recently Windows 10 crashed in my laptop. Fortunately, I took the back-up of all the data on an external hard disk. I had also synced my data with OneDrive a few days before the crash. So, fortunately, I had no challenge of data loss. After I restored my PC to normal, I copied data from the external hard disk as well as OneDrive.

    Now I'm faced with the dilemma of syncing again my PC with OneDrive. One option is using the symbolic link "mklink". But what I found if I use this option, either I upload data from my PC to OneDrive again or download from OneDrive to PC. I cannot sync the existing folders on the two ends directly. In either of the options, new folders have to be created on one of the two locations.

    Then with the first option, when I upload the data, the bandwidth of my internet shrinks from 40 to 0.4 Mbps making it difficult for other users and me to use the internet.

    Also, I cannot delete the already existing data to save space until all the data gets synced. So if I think of downloading the data to my PC, I'll have duplicate data & confusing which folder is up to date.

    Furthermore, I cannot concentrate on my work until all the data gets synced & I've to keep my system always on.

    There must be some solution around other than mklink where I can sync or create links between the existing folders on both ends & save my time & energy. I'm sure I'm not unique to face this challenge.

    I'm facing another challenge. I tried syncing the data using mklink. I got the error message from my PC "access denied" to the folder on PC. How to overcome this?

    Can you please help?

    Warm regards,

    Rahul Dev
      My Computer

  6. Brink's Avatar
    Posts : 56,311
    64-bit Windows 10 Pro for Workstations build 21359
    Thread Starter
       #35

    Hello @Rahul Dev,

    If you haven't already, you could see of taking ownership of the folder may allow you access to sync it afterwards. The tutorial below to add a Take Ownership context menu can help make it easy to do this as needed if wanted.

    Add Take Ownership to Context Menu in Windows 10

    Would having the folders you want synced to OneDrive (online) being placed inside your C:\Users\<username>\OneDrive folder on the PC work for you?

    Most programs will have an option to select where to save at by default.

    This way you wouldn't have to use the mklink command to try and sync folders located somewhere other then in the OneDrive folder above.
      My Computers


  7. Posts : 8
    windows 10
       #36

    Brink said:
    Hello @Rahul Dev,

    Would having the folders you want synced to OneDrive (online) being placed inside your C:\Users\<username>\OneDrive folder on the PC work for you?

    Most programs will have an option to select where to save at by default.

    This way you wouldn't have to use the mklink command to try and sync folders located somewhere other then in the OneDrive folder above.
    Hi Shawn,

    Thanks for a quick reply. Sorry dear, this will not solve my issue. My issue is whatever I save or have saved anything anywhere on my PC, other than C drive, it gets synced instantly with OneDrive so that I can access the information through mobile devices. Similarly, whatever editing I've done on OneDrive, it gets synced with my PC when I put it on so that I've the latest files on my PC.

    For your information, I've created separate partitions for different purposes & I can't save everything in C:\Users\<username>\OneDrive folder.

    Warm regards,

    Rahul Dev
      My Computer

  8. Brink's Avatar
    Posts : 56,311
    64-bit Windows 10 Pro for Workstations build 21359
    Thread Starter
       #37

    Rahul Dev said:
    Hi Shawn,

    Thanks for a quick reply. Sorry dear, this will not solve my issue. My issue is whatever I save or have saved anything anywhere on my PC, other than C drive, it gets synced instantly with OneDrive so that I can access the information through mobile devices. Similarly, whatever editing I've done on OneDrive, it gets synced with my PC when I put it on so that I've the latest files on my PC.

    For your information, I've created separate partitions for different purposes & I can't save everything in C:\Users\<username>\OneDrive folder.

    Warm regards,

    Rahul Dev

    I understand.

    Did using the take ownership option help?
      My Computers

  9. Hoolm's Avatar
    Posts : 492
    OS 10 64
       #38

    It Says Junction created, Thanks man you make it Look EZ
      My Computer

  10. Brink's Avatar
    Posts : 56,311
    64-bit Windows 10 Pro for Workstations build 21359
    Thread Starter
       #39

    Hoolm said:
    It Says Junction created, Thanks man you make it Look EZ

    Glad it could help Hoolm.
      My Computers


 
Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Tutorial Categories

Sync Any Folder to OneDrive in Windows 10 Tutorial Index Network & Sharing Instalation and Upgrade Browsers and Email General Tips Gaming Customization Apps and Features Virtualization BSOD System Security User Accounts Hardware and Drivers Updates and Activation Backup and Restore Performance and Maintenance Mixed Reality Phone


  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 21:55.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums