Sync Any Folder to OneDrive in Windows 10  

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
  1. Brink's Avatar
    Posts : 56,311
    64-bit Windows 10 Pro for Workstations build 21359
    Thread Starter
       #20

    tfwul said:
    Hi Brink,

    Thanks for your tutorial.

    I just gave it a try and OneDrive seems to synchronizing a local folder with one on OneDrive.
    (local: X:\JPG -> JPG on OneDrive)

    The X:\JPG folder is on my desktop PC.

    I would like to have the same setup with my laptop: on my laptop there is also a JPG folder. Is it possible to have that synchronized with JPG on OneDrive?

    Secondly, is there a way to perform synchronization from OneDrive to any local drive (either laptop or PC) ONLY when the folder is accessible.

    Both local folders are on an password protected encrypted drive, the folders are not available unless I open those drives.

    Probably dumb questions, but frankly speaking, so far I have never been using OneDrive, except then for sharing files with friends. Am using laptop since a couple of days, hence I am investing how to best use OneDrive.
    I haven't tested, but you should be able to use the same method to sync any folder with OneDrive.
      My Computers


  2. Posts : 11
    Win 10
       #21

    You are my hero. I made a junction point (mlink /J) of my documents and it just works. I can edit a document on my mobile and it is synced to my local documents folder. I can edit a document in my local documents folder and it syncs to ondrive.

    I have been using OneDrive for a while, but only used it to send files to my mobile for offline use.
    I'm so happy that I found your guide.
      My Computer

  3. Brink's Avatar
    Posts : 56,311
    64-bit Windows 10 Pro for Workstations build 21359
    Thread Starter
       #22

    MattieIT said:
    You are my hero. I made a junction point (mlink /J) of my documents and it just works. I can edit a document on my mobile and it is synced to my local documents folder. I can edit a document in my local documents folder and it syncs to ondrive.

    I have been using OneDrive for a while, but only used it to send files to my mobile for offline use.
    I'm so happy that I found your guide.

    I'm glad it could help Mattie, and welcome to Ten Forums.
      My Computers


  4. Posts : 1
    Windows 10 Pro 64
       #23

    Not sure what I'm doing wrong


    Hello! Thanks very much for taking the time to do this. Apparently, Microsoft has decided not to implement "Smart" Functionality with OneDrive.
    Not sure what I am doing wrong... I ran CMD as Admin. The first time I did it, I received the Junction Created message, but nothing happened.
    I'm assuming that I'm not supposed to create the folder manually in the local OneDrive folder since it is not mentioned in the steps.
    Additional attempts has resulted in a "Cannot create a file when that file already exists." Message.
    Again.. Nothing at all is happening. Not sure what to do..
      My Computer

  5. Brink's Avatar
    Posts : 56,311
    64-bit Windows 10 Pro for Workstations build 21359
    Thread Starter
       #24

    bdragon254 said:
    Hello! Thanks very much for taking the time to do this. Apparently, Microsoft has decided not to implement "Smart" Functionality with OneDrive.
    Not sure what I am doing wrong... I ran CMD as Admin. The first time I did it, I received the Junction Created message, but nothing happened.
    I'm assuming that I'm not supposed to create the folder manually in the local OneDrive folder since it is not mentioned in the steps.
    Additional attempts has resulted in a "Cannot create a file when that file already exists." Message.
    Again.. Nothing at all is happening. Not sure what to do..

    Hello bdragon254, and welcome to Ten Forums.

    The command in step 2 should have created the folder in your "C:\Users\<username>\OneDrive" folder that will be linked to the source folder.
      My Computers


  6. Posts : 1
    Windows 10
       #25

    Hi, Thnx for the amazing guide!

    I'm currently running 2 One Drives on my PC is there a way to specify that it shouldn't go to my personal One Drive but instead to my organizations's one drive?

    Thnx in advance!
      My Computer

  7. Brink's Avatar
    Posts : 56,311
    64-bit Windows 10 Pro for Workstations build 21359
    Thread Starter
       #26

    ItherNiT said:
    Hi, Thnx for the amazing guide!

    I'm currently running 2 One Drives on my PC is there a way to specify that it shouldn't go to my personal One Drive but instead to my organizations's one drive?

    Thnx in advance!

    Hello ItherNiT, and welcome to Ten Forums.

    Yes, there is. You can change the first folder path "%UserProfile%\OneDrive\Folder Name" in the command to be the path of your organizations OneDrive folder location instead.
      My Computers


  8. Posts : 1
    Windows10
       #27

    There are some big caveats to doing this....

    Firstly if you sync a folder from another disc, OneDrive will not behave properly, because it will use the free space of the disk with the onedrive folder, and not free space of the other disk.

    Consider this situation:
    OneDrive folder on C: drive which is, say, 256G SSD.
    You mklink into that D:\mystuff on a 1TB drive.
    You then try and sync down 500GB of data.

    One drive will fail, because it thinks there is only <256GB free space.

    This can also happen just by editing files... Things don't sync.

    So the big caveat of this tutorial is you really can only add folders from the same drive, or: you need to move OneDrives base folder to be on the drive with the biggest free space/sync storage.

    In the above examples you need OneDrive to be based on D:\stuff 1TB disc then mklink in there to folders from C:\ that you also want to back up.
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 8
    windows 10
       #28

    Hemimax said:
    Thank you for this Shawn!
    Just wanted to confirm, any folder on a local physical drive that I mklink with this will be automatically synced to OneDrive folder online and I will no longer have to drag and drop to the local OneDrive folder to initiate the sync. Also I noticed there is a lag time for a new file/folder to show up online that I fixed by restarting OneDrive.
    Shawn, It's a wonderful way to sync PC folders with OneDrive. But I've not tried as I've manually a few folders & files from laptop to OneDrive. Later I didn't update my PC folders & files but worked on the same folder & files in OneDrive.

    Now if I use your technique to sync my folders on PC with OneDrive, what will happen to my new/modified files on OneDrive? Will they download or sync with my similar files on my PC? Is it this method truly a two-way syncing technique? Can I rest assured that my folders & files will always be in sync?

    Regards,

    Rahul Dev
      My Computer

  10. Brink's Avatar
    Posts : 56,311
    64-bit Windows 10 Pro for Workstations build 21359
    Thread Starter
       #29

    Rahul Dev said:
    Shawn, It's a wonderful way to sync PC folders with OneDrive. But I've not tried as I've manually a few folders & files from laptop to OneDrive. Later I didn't update my PC folders & files but worked on the same folder & files in OneDrive.

    Now if I use your technique to sync my folders on PC with OneDrive, what will happen to my new/modified files on OneDrive? Will they download or sync with my similar files on my PC? Is it this method truly a two-way syncing technique? Can I rest assured that my folders & files will always be in sync?

    Regards,

    Rahul Dev

    Hello Rahul Dev, and welcome to Ten Forums.

    Correct. Using this method to sync a folder with OneDrive will work just like any other folder in your OneDrive folder for syncing as long as you have an Internet connection to be able to sync to the online OneDrive (cloud).
      My Computers


 
Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Tutorial Categories

Sync Any Folder to OneDrive in Windows 10 Tutorial Index Network & Sharing Instalation and Upgrade Browsers and Email General Tips Gaming Customization Apps and Features Virtualization BSOD System Security User Accounts Hardware and Drivers Updates and Activation Backup and Restore Performance and Maintenance Mixed Reality Phone


  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 22:06.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums