Sync Any Folder to OneDrive in Windows 10  

Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast

  1. Posts : 102
    Windows 10 Pro
       #140

    Just to verify, does it sync to online OneDrive when you add a file to your OneDrive folder on the PC to rule out an issue with that? Yes, this works fine.....it has something to do with the junction in OneDrive, not sure what. If I solve the problem I will be back to this thread with the results🤞.
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 102
    Windows 10 Pro
       #141

    Well, I've finally found some time to do some further testing and research. Here's my conclusion. When I first issue the MKLINK command, both OneDrive (PC) and OneDrive (online) sync successfully. If I add a new file to the OneDrive junction link (OneDrive PC), things seem to work as expected. The source folder gets updated and the OneDrive (online) also gets updated. However, if I add a new file to the source folder itself , only the OneDrive (PC) updates successfully. OneDrive (online) doesn't see those updates unless I either stop and restart OneDrive, or pause and resume syncing. Again, here's the MKLINK command I used:
    mklink /j "%UserProfile%\OneDrive\Test Folder" "C:\Users\XXXXXX\Pictures\Test Folder"

    If you could validate my findings, it would be much appreciated. Thanks again.
      My Computer

  3. Brink's Avatar
    Posts : 56,309
    64-bit Windows 10 Pro for Workstations build 21359
    Thread Starter
       #142

    garyb0125 said:
    Well, I've finally found some time to do some further testing and research. Here's my conclusion. When I first issue the MKLINK command, both OneDrive (PC) and OneDrive (online) sync successfully. If I add a new file to the OneDrive junction link (OneDrive PC), things seem to work as expected. The source folder gets updated and the OneDrive (online) also gets updated. However, if I add a new file to the source folder itself , only the OneDrive (PC) updates successfully. OneDrive (online) doesn't see those updates unless I either stop and restart OneDrive, or pause and resume syncing. Again, here's the MKLINK command I used:
    mklink /j "%UserProfile%\OneDrive\Test Folder" "C:\Users\XXXXXX\Pictures\Test Folder"

    If you could validate my findings, it would be much appreciated. Thanks again.
    Using the same folder name and command, the files will get synced between the two folders (link and source) no matter which one the file was saved to.

    However, I noticed that sometimes I will have to manually toggle pause and resume OneDrive sync for it to sync online. Sometimes it synced online instantly. This was the same no matter which folder (link or source) was used.
      My Computers


  4. Posts : 4
    Windows 10 Home 64-bit
       #143

    sync pending


    I've created a junction using elevated command prompt.
    (mklink /j "%UserProfile%\OneDrive\Music" "C:\Users\XXXXXXX\Music")
    It seems to be completely synced yet OneDrive shows sync pending along with shortcut arrow on folder icon. Also the source folder does not have a cloud next to it. I'm not sure how to proceed. Any help is appreciated.Sync Any Folder to OneDrive in Windows 10-2021-03-23-18_57_20-pc.pngSync Any Folder to OneDrive in Windows 10-2021-03-23-19_38_12-onedrive.png
    Last edited by habakkuk184; 3 Weeks Ago at 18:43. Reason: insert images
      My Computer

  5. Brink's Avatar
    Posts : 56,309
    64-bit Windows 10 Pro for Workstations build 21359
    Thread Starter
       #144

    habakkuk184 said:
    I've created a junction using elevated command prompt.
    (mklink /j "%UserProfile%\OneDrive\Music" "C:\Users\XXXXXXX\Music")
    It seems to be completely synced yet OneDrive shows sync pending along with shortcut arrow on folder icon. Also the source folder does not have a cloud next to it. I'm not sure how to proceed. Any help is appreciated.
    Hello, and welcome to Ten Forums.

    As a test, try toggling pause/resume sync for OneDrive to see if that may force it to sync for you.

    How to Pause and Resume Sync in OneDrive in Windows 10
      My Computers


  6. Posts : 4
    Windows 10 Home 64-bit
       #145

    Hello, Thanks for the welcome and the quick response. I have tried to log out/ login as well as pause/ resume with no luck. Sync Any Folder to OneDrive in Windows 10-picture1.png
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 102
    Windows 10 Pro
       #146

    My experience has been is that the junction folder in the local OneDrive continues to always show the "Syncing" icon, never the cloud. The important thing to remember is to have the local junction OneDrive folder sync to the online OneDrive. To do this you may need to close/reopen OneDrive, or pause/resume syncing. Hope this helps.
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 4
    Windows 10 Home 64-bit
       #147

    garyb0125 said:
    My experience has been is that the junction folder in the local OneDrive continues to always show the "Syncing" icon, never the cloud. The important thing to remember is to have the local junction OneDrive folder sync to the online OneDrive. To do this you may need to close/reopen OneDrive, or pause/resume syncing. Hope this helps.
    Thanks for the response garyb0125, I've already tried these methods with no success. Also online files appear but will not open 😳 I'm thinking I need to set attributes... And if I right click on the local folder or the junction folder there's no Onedrive options like "always keep on device", "free up space".
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 102
    Windows 10 Pro
       #148

    Hmmmm....Your situation does seem strange. Once I do a pause/restart, my online OneDrive syncs with the local OneDrive (junction) folder, and no problems viewing/opening online OneDrive files. The local (junction) OneDrive folder has all OneDrive options like "always keep on device" and "free up space". The source file however doesn't show these options as it's a standard local folder on my hard drive. I would try deleting the junction, then closing and reopening OneDrive, and then creating the junction again.
      My Computer


  10. Posts : 4
    Windows 10 Home 64-bit
       #149

    I'll definitely try your suggestions when I get home. I don't have my laptop at work ☹️. Thanks for your help

    - - - Updated - - -

    Fyi I tried to make the mklink work unsuccessfully. My fix was to:
    Create new folder in Onedrive with the same name as source folder
    Open properties from source folder
    Under location tab select move
    Browse to and select the target folder in Onedrive.
    Click apply

    Once they sync the cloud symbol will be on the source folder and target folder...
      My Computer


 
Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast

Tutorial Categories

Sync Any Folder to OneDrive in Windows 10 Tutorial Index Network & Sharing Instalation and Upgrade Browsers and Email General Tips Gaming Customization Apps and Features Virtualization BSOD System Security User Accounts Hardware and Drivers Updates and Activation Backup and Restore Performance and Maintenance Mixed Reality Phone


  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 19:13.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums