Windows 10: Shortcut Arrow Icon - Change, Remove, or Restore in Windows 10  

Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 917181920 LastLast
  1.    30 Jan 2017 #180

    197


    hello,by me 197 ts blank on laptop and desktop
    verry strang ,maybee typical belgium
    but its working perfect
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    31 Jan 2017 #181

    197


    dear brink
    i ve got a diferent outlay,where do i find yours??
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  3. Posts : 19,856
    64-bit Windows 10 Pro build 16179
    Thread Starter
       31 Jan 2017 #182

    peter van peer said: View Post
    dear brink
    i ve got a diferent outlay,where do i find yours??
    Hey Peter,

    I use IconViewer to add the "Icons" tab in my screenshot.

    Download IconViewer
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  4.    31 Jan 2017 #183

    197


    i now why!
    mine is w7 and properties of w7,with update w10,so i got a diferent outlay,sorryClick image for larger version. 

Name:	Schermopname (2).png 
Views:	40 
Size:	979.1 KB 
ID:	119225
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  5. Posts : 19,856
    64-bit Windows 10 Pro build 16179
    Thread Starter
       31 Jan 2017 #184

    That'll be why then.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  6.    3 Days Ago #185

    This reg file to remove the arrow is not working in version 15063 Creators Edition.

    Also how to remove the word "shortcut"
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  7. Posts : 19,856
    64-bit Windows 10 Pro build 16179
    Thread Starter
       3 Days Ago #186

    Hello @madmax2,

    I just tested it on my system to see if anything may have changed, but it's still working for me.

    What are you seeing instead with the remove .reg file?

    Did you restart the explorer process after merging the .reg file to apply?

    Did you also try using the transparent.ico or Blank.ico file along with Option Two?


    The tutorial below can help to remove the "Shortcut" name extension.

    Turn On or Off Shortcut Name Extension in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Customization Tutorials
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  8.    3 Days Ago #187

    Brink said: View Post
    Hello @madmax2,

    I just tested it on my system to see if anything may have changed, but it's still working for me.

    What are you seeing instead with the remove .reg file?

    Did you restart the explorer process after merging the .reg file to apply?

    Did you also try using the transparent.ico or Blank.ico file along with Option Two?


    The tutorial below can help to remove the "Shortcut" name extension.

    Turn On or Off Shortcut Name Extension in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Customization Tutorials
    Yeah after I restarted explorer it works.
    I also use the blank.ico file and it removed the outline as well.

    After doing this, I could not tell a folder was a shortcut or not.
    So this can be dangerous if you delete the wrong one.

    I decided to go back to default arrow and remove the word "shortcut" in your other thread instead.

    I think you should
    -add a link to the thread for remove the word shortcut on the front page, for people who just wants to do this.
    Turn On or Off Shortcut Name Extension in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Customization Tutorials

    -add reg files for using the the ico files so people can do that instead of manually editing it in regedit.

    Also what is the difference between using blank and transparent ico?
    Last edited by madmax2; 3 Days Ago at 16:27.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  9. Posts : 19,856
    64-bit Windows 10 Pro build 16179
    Thread Starter
       3 Days Ago #188

    LOL, yeah no shortcut arrows can make it harder to distinguish between source and shortcut.

    The "Shortcut" name tutorial is already linked in the tutorial on the first page at the bottom under "Related tutorials".

    The .ico location could vary per system to create a .reg file for them, but one could use of the other .reg files, and just edit the registry for the path of where they saved the .ico file.

    There's really no difference between the blank and transparent ico files other than some reported that only one will work over the other, so I just included both as an option.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  10.    3 Days Ago #189

    Brink said: View Post
    LOL, yeah no shortcut arrows can make it harder to distinguish between source and shortcut.

    The "Shortcut" name tutorial is already linked in the tutorial on the first page at the bottom under "Related tutorials".

    The .ico location could vary per system to create a .reg file for them, but one could use of the other .reg files, and just edit the registry for the path of where they saved the .ico file.

    There's really no difference between the blank and transparent ico files other than some reported that only one will work over the other, so I just included both as an option.
    Oh I didn't know it was under related section.
    The problem is the post is quite long so it easy to miss this link when we are quickly scrolling the front page to view options
    and also the related links text is quite small, it is the second link along with a number of other links.
    It is really easily to miss this link.

    Maybe you should add a note or big standout disclaimer to the first post information section at the very top since people are more likely to see it first.

    Just add something like this:

    "This method will remove the arrows completely and there is now a risk you could delete the actual folder and not the shortcut.
    The recommended method is to just removed the word "shortcut" instead.

    You can follow this link to remove the word shortcut instead.
    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4663-turn-off-shortcut-name-extension-windows-10-a.html"

    ====

    You can add reg files for the icons if you tell people to download the files and place it in
    e.g C:\Windows/system32 or the drive that you install windows in.

    Then in your 2 reg file just use these links you wrote

    %windir%\System32\transparent.ico

    %windir%\System32\Blank.ico
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 917181920 LastLast

Related Threads
Customization Change Library Icon in Windows 10 in Tutorials
How to Change Icon of a Library in Windows 10 Libraries gather folders that are stored in different locations so you can browse them in one place. You can add or remove folders and drives to be included in a library as you like. This tutorial...
How to Make a Create System Restore Point Shortcut in Windows 10 System Restore uses a feature called system protection that regularly creates and saves information about your PC's drivers, programs, registry, system files, and settings as...
How to Hide or Show Search Box or Cortana Icon on Taskbar in Windows 10 The Search box on your taskbar makes it easier for you to search the web and Windows. It also allows you to be able to turn on or off to have Cortana give you suggestions,...
Shortcut arrow in Customization
How remove shortcut arrows from desktop icons in Win10 ?
How to Change Open Target of Network System Icon in Windows 10 By default in Windows 10, when you click/tap on the Network system icon from the taskbar notification area, it will open to new network fly-out UX for quick access to your network...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 19:53.
Find Us