Change Name of User Profile Folder in Windows 10  

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
  1. Brink's Avatar
    Posts : 42,106
    64-bit Windows 10 Pro for Workstations build 18980
    Thread Starter
       #90

    Greekfan said: View Post
    After I successfully changed the user profile and folder, I now have a problem of getting outlook to work again. It is no longer able to find the .ost file. I could not find any way how to change the location.
    Hello Greekfan, and welcome to Ten Forums.

    If you like, you could try reinstalling Outlook on top of itself to perform a repair install that will hopefully sort it for you.

    If it doesn't help, then renaming your user profile and folder back to the original should.
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 1
    Windows 10 home 64-bit
       #91

    when I do ''wmic useraccount get name,SID'' on the command promt I see the folder name not the name that shows as the user (if that makes sense) is this supposed to happen
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3. Brink's Avatar
    Posts : 42,106
    64-bit Windows 10 Pro for Workstations build 18980
    Thread Starter
       #92

    SilverDrem said: View Post
    when I do ''wmic useraccount get name,SID'' on the command promt I see the folder name not the name that shows as the user (if that makes sense) is this supposed to happen

    Hello SilverDrem, and welcome to Ten Forums.

    That command gives you a list of account names on the computer along with the account's SID.

    Sometimes the account name just happens to be the same name as the account's profile folder name.
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  4. Posts : 295
    Windows 10
       #93

    SilverDrem said: View Post
    when I do ''wmic useraccount get name,SID'' on the command promt I see the folder name not the name that shows as the user (if that makes sense) is this supposed to happen
    Should be getting something like this:

    Name SID
    Administrator S-1-5-21-719305063-4111050210-646828527-500
    DefaultAccount S-1-5-21-719305063-4111050210-646828527-503
    Guest S-1-5-21-719305063-4111050210-646828527-501
    WDAGUtilityAccount S-1-5-21-719305063-4111050210-646828527-504
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  5. Posts : 123
    Windows 10 17713.1000 1807.rs5_release 180706-1551
       #94

    Hey Brink, I followed the tutorial and got the name change that I needed. But now, EDGE is just a blank page. There is nothing. Nada. Zilch. What did I do wrong? I don't even remember anything being said about EDGE. I didn't read EVERY page in the thread, but I'm going back now to do just that!
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6. Brink's Avatar
    Posts : 42,106
    64-bit Windows 10 Pro for Workstations build 18980
    Thread Starter
       #95

    djbillyd said: View Post
    Hey Brink, I followed the tutorial and got the name change that I needed. But now, EDGE is just a blank page. There is nothing. Nada. Zilch. What did I do wrong? I don't even remember anything being said about EDGE. I didn't read EVERY page in the thread, but I'm going back now to do just that!
    I'm not sure why Edge would be affected like that.

    You could see if resetting Microsoft Edge may help, but be sure to backup your favorites first.

    Reset App in Windows 10 | Tutorials

    Backup and Restore Microsoft Edge Favorites in Windows 10
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  7. Posts : 123
    Windows 10 17713.1000 1807.rs5_release 180706-1551
       #96

    Brink said: View Post
    I'm not sure why Edge would be affected like that.

    You could see if resetting Microsoft Edge may help, but be sure to backup your favorites first.

    Reset App in Windows 10 | Tutorials

    Backup and Restore Microsoft Edge Favorites in Windows 10
    BAM!!!! You da man bro! It worked fine thank you....
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  8. Brink's Avatar
    Posts : 42,106
    64-bit Windows 10 Pro for Workstations build 18980
    Thread Starter
       #97

    You're most welcome.
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  9. Posts : 2
    Windows 10
       #98

    Hey, I've been trying to change my user folder name (and everything else) for a bit, and it's not wanting to work. When I try to change it, it launches my account into a temp one, and despite following the instructions on fixing it, it does nothing. Is there anything I can do, or is it a lost cause?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  10. Access Denied's Avatar
    Posts : 8,067
    Win10 x64
       #99

    tyvesc said: View Post
    Hey, I've been trying to change my user folder name (and everything else) for a bit, and it's not wanting to work. When I try to change it, it launches my account into a temp one, and despite following the instructions on fixing it, it does nothing. Is there anything I can do, or is it a lost cause?
    Brink may have a better answer that you want to hear, but in my case, I created a new user and just dealt with the changes I had to make on the new account. I learned from that to never use my MS account when installing Win10 clean. Always use a local account on install, then sign into the MS account after the install
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Tutorial Categories

Change Name of User Profile Folder in Windows 10 Tutorial Index Network & Sharing Instalation and Upgrade Browsers and Email General Tips Gaming Customization Apps and Features Virtualization BSOD System Security User Accounts Hardware and Drivers Updates and Activation Backup and Restore Performance and Maintenance Mixed Reality Phone


Related Threads
Hello, It is being a while since I have been dealing with Windows 10 failed updates. If you change some of the profile folders from partition, such as ProgramData or AppData you condemn the Windows update to fail. I like to have my drive...
Restore profile permissions to user profile folder in User Accounts and Family Safety
I'm not sure why but sometimes when i port a profile over(make new profile, move all files/folder to temp folder, move old profile folder/files in then move the new profile over it) edge and the start menu break. Take ownership seems to miss alot of...
Removing/renaming a user profile folder in C:\Users? in User Accounts and Family Safety
Just joined this forum recently, so this is my first post. Anyways, I've been looking online for a method to simply delete the folder of an old user profile in C:\Users. I have yet to come across a successful method. The message that appears when I...
:confused: I found a Windows 10 Forums article online about how to move the Users profile folder to an external drive, but it was not something easily understood by a not-too-techie user. If there are some easy to follow step-by-step instructions...
Solved User Profile Name Change in User Accounts and Family Safety
how do i change my user profile name from "quadr" to my name "Patrick"? for some reason, when i clean installed, it set up my user profile like that instead of my name...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 19:50.
Find Us