Windows 10: Add Protected Folders to Controlled Folder Access in Windows 10  

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

  1. Posts : 20,996
    Win10 Pro, Win10 Pro N, Win10 Home, Win10 Pro Insider Fast Ring, Windows 8.1 Pro, Ubuntu
       04 Nov 2017 #20

    Brink said: View Post
    Hey Cliff, :)

    Just to note that you'll need to take ownership of those registry keys before you'll be able to merge the .reg files to restore them.
    Thanks for the warning. I'll only need them when all else fails.
    I use Tweaking(dot)com's Registry Backup, and save a weekly backups. Plus there is always Macrium:)
    But it's cool I can just add whole disks.
    I use Macrium Free, so I don't have Image Guardian, so Windows Controlled Access will come in handy there(on my online system images backup. My offline won't be a problem.).
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 20,996
    Win10 Pro, Win10 Pro N, Win10 Home, Win10 Pro Insider Fast Ring, Windows 8.1 Pro, Ubuntu
       05 Nov 2017 #21

    This can really be a PITA sometimes, I did both IE in Programs & Programs X86 for good measure
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer
    C:\Program Files\internet explorer
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image 004.png 
Views:	67 
Size:	203.9 KB 
ID:	162205
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  3. Posts : 30,611
    64-bit Windows 10 Pro build 17713
    Thread Starter
       05 Nov 2017 #22

      My ComputersSystem Spec


  4. Posts : 20,996
    Win10 Pro, Win10 Pro N, Win10 Home, Win10 Pro Insider Fast Ring, Windows 8.1 Pro, Ubuntu
       05 Nov 2017 #23

    Brink said: View Post
    Internet Explorer wasn't even open at the time(it hardly ever is anymore), that's the best part
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  5. Posts : 13,048
    Windows 10 (Pro and Insider Pro)
       05 Nov 2017 #24

    Cliff S said: View Post
    Internet Explorer wasn't even open at the time(it hardly ever is anymore), that's the best part
    Same here.

    Another problem (general) about protected folders approach is installation of programs (upgrades included). If you want to have desktop icons (shortcuts) it's a no go. Desktop is protected folder and and a program you're installing isn't allowed (can't be, as it is new program - even upgrade is a new version). So no desktop shortcuts for protected folders approach (OK, one can add it later, but this isn't the same).

    Wonder, if that problem with non-showing checkboxes when installing programs is also connected to protected folders feature
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  6. Posts : 20,996
    Win10 Pro, Win10 Pro N, Win10 Home, Win10 Pro Insider Fast Ring, Windows 8.1 Pro, Ubuntu
       05 Nov 2017 #25

    AndreTen said: View Post
    Same here.

    Another problem (general) about protected folders approach is installation of programs (upgrades included). If you want to have desktop icons (shortcuts) it's a no go. Desktop is protected folder and and a program you're installing isn't allowed (can't be, as it is new program - even upgrade is a new version). So no desktop shortcuts for protected folders approach (OK, one can add it later, but this isn't the same).

    Wonder, if that problem with non-showing checkboxes when installing programs is also connected to protected folders feature
    That's ok, I can understand; 3rd party stuff being blocked until you give permission(can't stand desktop icons any how), but a Windows .exe file???? Not already set to allowed??? As Default??? That's going way too far in my book.
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  7. Posts : 30,611
    64-bit Windows 10 Pro build 17713
    Thread Starter
       05 Nov 2017 #26

    I think it may be easier and best to remove the folders from "Protected Folders" that are used by programs all the time, and instead only add folders that you truly want as protected with zero access for anything.
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  8. Posts : 13,048
    Windows 10 (Pro and Insider Pro)
       05 Nov 2017 #27

    Brink said: View Post
    I think it may be easier and best to remove the folders from "Protected Folders" that are used by programs all the time, and instead only add folders that you truly want as protected with zero access for anything.
    There is a problem ... one can't remove default folder, at least not via usual easy click and set. Editing a registry is not a good advice to common user.

    Btw, check ie and same here, if trying to save a favorite

    Name:  image.png
Views: 419
Size:  72.4 KB
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  9. Posts : 20,996
    Win10 Pro, Win10 Pro N, Win10 Home, Win10 Pro Insider Fast Ring, Windows 8.1 Pro, Ubuntu
       05 Nov 2017 #28

    Brink said: View Post
    I think it may be easier and best to remove the folders from "Protected Folders" that are used by programs all the time, and instead only add folders that you truly want as protected with zero access for anything.
    I did a test to day using some of my benching programs, that I had already added yesterday(just added the .exe's of the .dll it depends on if the program runs as an executable or a batch(like Heaven or Valley from Unigine), and had no problem when it saved the scores. The only warnings I have been getting are from some of Windows own stuff
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  10. Posts : 20,996
    Win10 Pro, Win10 Pro N, Win10 Home, Win10 Pro Insider Fast Ring, Windows 8.1 Pro, Ubuntu
       05 Nov 2017 #29

    My setup:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image 001.png 
Views:	85 
Size:	80.4 KB 
ID:	162221
      My ComputersSystem Spec


 
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Tutorial Categories

Add Protected Folders to Controlled Folder Access in Windows 10 Tutorial Index Network & Sharing Instalation and Upgrade Browsers and Email General Tips Gaming Customization Apps and Features Virtualization BSOD System Security User Accounts Hardware and Drivers Updates and Activation Backup and Restore Performance and Maintenance Xbox Windows Phone


Related Threads
How to Create a Windows Defender Settings shortcut in Windows 10 Windows Defender helps protect your PC against malware (malicious software) like viruses, spyware, and other potentially unwanted software. Malware can infect your PC without your...
Hi, I just build up a new pc and changed from W7 to new era of W10 :-) Was not that easy and pleasant experience as I thought. I have huge storage capability with this new pc but since I'm using very fast Intel 512Gb 600p M.2 SSD as C drive, I...
Hey all, I've been using the tutorials and tips here for a bit now, but I've run into a problem I can't seem to find anywhere. I use List view to help me sort music. However, my folders are spread across different drives, so I have to use a...
I upgraded my custom PC a while ago (a couple months) from Windows 7 Home to Windows 10 Home and when I go into Windows update to enable insider features but it's greyed out and at the top it says "Some settings are controlled by your operator" this...
Following instructions from a game manufacturer I changed the 'read only' settings for users / documents folder. Win 10 now disfunctions (instable, search unavailable, chrome closing incorrectly, etc). How should I proceed to restore the folder...

Tags for this Thread

Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:01.
Find Us