Windows 10: Hide or Show Windows Updates in Windows 10  

Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
  1.    16 Aug 2015 #30

    drugo said: View Post
    hi
    sorry this folder
    i had several update for nvidia like 5 o 6
    i stopped the update service and delete content of the foldert
    now i got 2 update for nvidia , but i can't get rid of these 2
    w8.1 update module was/is better!
    I solve the problem with this steps:
    1. Install all driver updates ()
    2. Stop windows updates services
    3. Delete all files c:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download\
    4. Start windows updates services
    5. Run wushowhide.diagcab

    Next i install back the old nvidia driver that i had and i run the windows update again.
    Now the 2 records of nvidia drivers are not show any more.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    17 Aug 2015 #31

    denis1276 said: View Post
    I solve the problem with this steps:
    1. Install all driver updates ()
    2. Stop windows updates services
    3. Delete all files c:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download\
    4. Start windows updates services
    5. Run wushowhide.diagcab

    Next i install back the old nvidia driver that i had and i run the windows update again.
    Now the 2 records of nvidia drivers are not show any more.
    hi
    i'm happy for you , i was not so lucky , i can not hide the drivers
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3. Ex_Brit's Avatar
    Posts : 136
    Win 7 Ult + 2 x Win 10 Pro - all x64
       26 Aug 2015 #32

    Why on Earth do Microsoft go out of their way to make life difficult for anyone who doesn't have a Ph.D in Computer Science?
    Hide Update should be an option right there in Windows Update.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4. Brink's Avatar
    Posts : 19,016
    64-bit Windows 10 Pro build 15063
       26 Aug 2015 #33

    Hey Peter,

    The main reason behind all this is to make sure that home computers stay updated with security patches to prevent hacked zombie computers caused by negligent users from running amok on the internet.

    It's inconvenient, but attacks from groups of zombie computers are a lot more inconvenient. Microsoft had just decided that something had to be done since the negligent users don't.

    Of course, on way around all this is to install Windows 10 Pro to be able to use the policy to disable automatic updates to be able to install them when you like instead.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  5. Ex_Brit's Avatar
    Posts : 136
    Win 7 Ult + 2 x Win 10 Pro - all x64
       26 Aug 2015 #34

    Thanks Shawn. I already did that - set WU to notify me first. (When I look at that setting it states now that it's controlled by my organisation or words to that effect, which in my case is me and GPedit - LOL).
    I just wish one could select which updates to install right now and which ones not, but I understand their predicament as to delinquent users of their systems.
    Maybe a rescan button would be a good idea too.

    BTW referring to previous posts, this was all about an nVidia driver, which now have their own updater software. I noticed it took several minutes for the hiding action done using that tool, for WU to actually stop insisting it needed to install an older driver than I already have.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6. Cliff S's Avatar
    Posts : 13,908
    Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 14393, Windows 10 Insider Fast Ring, Windows 8.1 Update, Ubuntu
       26 Aug 2015 #35

    Something I have seen too, is, the users with the most problems, most often, are the ones "cherry pickin'" their updates too. What I'm talking about is, the ones that say "Oh this update is for a currency sign change in some 3rd world country, I don't need it" or " this update is for a peripheral I don't have, hide it". I have always taken every update offered and never had a problem, even the ones where 90% of the internet seem to complain about.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7. Ex_Brit's Avatar
    Posts : 136
    Win 7 Ult + 2 x Win 10 Pro - all x64
       26 Aug 2015 #36

    Cliff S said: View Post
    Something I have seen too, is, the users with the most problems, most often, are the ones "cherry pickin'" their updates too. What I'm talking about is, the ones that say "Oh this update is for a currency sign change in some 3rd world country, I don't need it" or " this update is for a peripheral I don't have, hide it". I have always taken every update offered and never had a problem, even the ones where 90% of the internet seem to complain about.
    Tell me about it...! I'm sick of telling those people their problems are self-inflicted.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8. Brink's Avatar
    Posts : 19,016
    64-bit Windows 10 Pro build 15063
       26 Aug 2015 #37

    Yep, it's one of those decisions Microsoft had to make for everyone's own benefit whether they liked it or not. Take that medicine.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  9. Ex_Brit's Avatar
    Posts : 136
    Win 7 Ult + 2 x Win 10 Pro - all x64
       26 Aug 2015 #38

    BTW Shawn, the tool interestingly picked up on all the updates I had hidden in the prior incarnation of the system, i.e. Win 8.1. Clever tool.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  10. acmanten's Avatar
    Posts : 2,000
    MS Windows 10 Pro - Perm Activation of 10585
       26 Aug 2015 #39

    Brink said: View Post
    Hey Peter,

    The main reason behind all this is to make sure that home computers stay updated with security patches to prevent hacked zombie computers caused by negligent users from running amok on the internet.

    It's inconvenient, but attacks from groups of zombie computers are a lot more inconvenient. Microsoft had just decided that something had to be done since the negligent users don't.

    Of course, on way around all this is to install Windows 10 Pro to be able to use the policy to disable automatic updates to be able to install them when you like instead.
    Brink:
    I am seriously thinking about moving to Win10 Pro - mostly for that reason... Since I now have Win10Home Permanent activated and all appears to be working.,.. If I did upgrade my desktop to 10 Pro would the Perm Activation still be in effect... ??
    Thanks Cliff M.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Related Threads
How to Add or Remove Libraries in Navigation Pane of File Explorer in Windows 10 Libraries gather added folders that are stored in different locations so you can browse them in one place. This tutorial will show you how to hide or show...
How to Hide or Show Notification Area Icons on Taskbar in Windows 10 The notification area is located at the right end of the taskbar, and it contains app icons that provide status and notifications about things like incoming email, updates, and...
How to Hide or Show All Icons on Your Desktop in Windows 10 The desktop is the main screen area that you see after you turn on your PC and sign in to Windows. Like the top of an actual desk, it serves as a surface for your work. When you open...
Found this link from an user on another forum. Some may find it useful. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3073930
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 19:34.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums