Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

  1. Joined : Aug 2015
    Posts : 19
    Windows 10 Pro
       2015-08-12 #50

    Brink said: View Post
    I hope this installation will run smoother for you.

    Thanks, I tried all the reset/troubleshooting options but kept getting the error below so I just decided to do a clean install. I keep the OS/programs on a separate partition than my data so it wasn't an issue. Just have to reinstall the standard programs. Even then, I keep pretty regular data backups to a portable HD.

    On a side but related note, when doing a clean install, Windows presents the partitions where it can install. When
    doing so, one of the options offered is to format the partition. If I were to install Windows on a certain partition, that partition would be formatted by default before Windows installs, correct?


    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150811_201846.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	743.7 KB 
ID:	30829
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  2. Joined : Oct 2013
    Posts : 17,363
    64-bit Windows 10 Pro build 15007
       2015-08-12 #51

    shobuddy said: View Post
    If I were to install Windows on a certain partition, that partition would be formatted by default before Windows installs, correct?
    Correct.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  3. Joined : Aug 2015
    Posts : 9
    Windows 10
       2015-08-12 #52

    shobuddy said: View Post
    Thanks, I tried all the reset/troubleshooting options but kept getting the error below so I just decided to do a clean install. I keep the OS/programs on a separate partition than my data so it wasn't an issue. Just have to reinstall the standard programs. Even then, I keep pretty regular data backups to a portable HD.

    On a side but related note, when doing a clean install, Windows presents the partitions where it can install. When
    doing so, one of the options offered is to format the partition. If I were to install Windows on a certain partition, that partition would be formatted by default before Windows installs, correct?


    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150811_201846.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	743.7 KB 
ID:	30829
    honestly, I am not certain for that answer. My presumption would be that it only formats if the partition had not been previously formatted. All the windows 10 installs I have tried have tried so far, I have dropped all partitions and recreated them using the gui on that screen.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  4. Joined : Aug 2015
    Posts : 19
    Windows 10 Pro
       2015-08-12 #53

    I ask because even though a clean install, some of the OS settings from my previous install carried over. Additionally, I had a picture that I personally took as my wallpaper and even that carried over. I don't know if these are coming from the system or reserved drives but I wasn't expecting that since I did a format and then did the install.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  5. Joined : Aug 2015
    Posts : 9
    Windows 10
       2015-08-12 #54

    shobuddy said: View Post
    I ask because even though a clean install, some of the OS settings from my previous install carried over. Additionally, I had a picture that I personally took as my wallpaper and even that carried over. I don't know if these are coming from the system or reserved drives but I wasn't expecting that since I did a format and then did the install.
    If you log in with your microsoft account (which is the default) some settings are stored there and can get replicated back. I actually use a local login, but have not seen that. Though the local install makes things like the store app more complicated.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  6. Joined : Aug 2015
    Posts : 19
    Windows 10 Pro
       2015-08-12 #55

    coderwolf said: View Post
    If you log in with your microsoft account (which is the default) some settings are stored there and can get replicated back. I actually use a local login, but have not seen that. Though the local install makes things like the store app more complicated.
    Thanks coderwolf! I forgot about that. Yes, during initial setup I sign-in w/my microsoft account. After things are setup, I switch to a local account.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7.    2015-09-15 #56

    I get a "Windows Powershell has stopped working. Windows will notify you when a solution....." pop-up error, after pasting the code and pressing enter. Will look deeper into the collection of tutorials to see what may be causing this. Perhaps a faulty PowerShell is why when I click on the Store icon, a little blue window opens and immediately closes.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  8. Joined : Aug 2015
    Posts : 166
    Windows 10
       2015-09-16 #57

    AllenChicago said: View Post
    I get a "Windows Powershell has stopped working. Windows will notify you when a solution....." pop-up error, after pasting the code and pressing enter. Will look deeper into the collection of tutorials to see what may be causing this. Perhaps a faulty PowerShell is why when I click on the Store icon, a little blue window opens and immediately closes.
    You might want to consider a "clean install of Windows 10".
    Here is a link to a tenforums tutorial.


    Windows 10 - Clean Install
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  9. Joined : Oct 2015
    Posts : 18
    Windows 10
       2015-10-13 #58

    Thanks! It worked, but have other app issues, too.


    Thanks!
    The "Download" worked great for me. I hadn't been able to open the Store for quite a few days.
    It opens now.

    But my Windows Weather app still won't open.
    Also this computer (Asus laptop) has stopped connecting to my Microsoft games, like Jigsaw, Bingo, Mahjong, and Solitaire. (I can still connect with my Surface 3 with the same credentials.)

    Any suggestions would be appreciated.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  10. Joined : Oct 2013
    Posts : 17,363
    64-bit Windows 10 Pro build 15007
       2015-10-13 #59

    Hello sberti, and welcome to Ten Forums.

    If you like, you could use the tutorial below to re-register all apps that should be able to sort it for you.

    Apps - Reinstall and Re-register in Windows 8 and 10
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


 
Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast


Similar Threads
Tutorial Category
Apps - Reinstall and Re-register in Windows 8 and 10
How to Reinstall and Re-register All Built-in Windows Apps in Windows 8 and 10 This tutorial will show you how to reinstall and re-register all built-in Windows apps for your user account or all user accounts in Windows 8 or Windows 10. If a...
Tutorials
Solved Yes, you *can* still register an email address as an Insider
I've seen a couple of comments saying you can't register as an Insider, but I just wanted to say I've done it today and it still works, just in case it helps someone. What you can't do (well not officially; I imagine there are workarounds) is...
Windows Insider
Store Games not signing in as my store login
My PC email and my Xbox email are different and I don't want to make a whole new account on my PC for this to work. I'm on build 10240. Sorry if this a confusing lol. So when I go to the store on my pc and download one of the games that say Xbox...
General Support
Register for 2015 Microsoft Worldwide Partner Conference
Source: TechNet Blogs
Windows 10 News
Mobile Updates to Windows Store and Windows Phone Store policies
Source...
Windows 10 News
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 16:51.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 10 Forums