Convert Windows 10 from Legacy BIOS to UEFI without Data Loss  

Page 11 of 31 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

  1. Posts : 61,457
    64-bit Windows 11 Pro for Workstations
    Thread Starter
       #100

    Something is failing the check for disk 0.

    Please go ahead and post a screenshot of Disk Management showing your full layout to see if it will reveal what's wrong with disk 0.

    Disk Management - How to Post a Screenshot of | Windows 10 Tutorials
      My Computers


  2. Posts : 13,536
    Windows10
       #101

    slamdunk said:
    Thanks.
    I get this

    Code:
    C:\WINDOWS\system32>mbr2gpt /validate
    ERROR: MBR2GPT can only be used from the Windows Preinstallation Environment. Use /allowFullOS to override.
    
    C:\WINDOWS\system32>mbr2gpt /validate /allowFullOS
    MBR2GPT: Attempting to validate disk 0
    MBR2GPT: Retrieving layout of disk
    MBR2GPT: Validating layout, disk sector size is: 512 bytes
    Disk layout validation failed for disk 0
    EDIT: Never mind. I had 4 partitions then I deleted an unused one now it works.
    Yeah - mbr2gpt is a bit stupid if you have four primary partitions with one being the mbr sytem partition. It tries to create an efi partition, and falls over as you can only have four primary partitions in legacy mbr bios.

    It makes more sense to do as you did in effect i.e. delete system partition first.
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 61,457
    64-bit Windows 11 Pro for Workstations
    Thread Starter
       #102

    slamdunk said:
    EDIT: Never mind. I had 4 partitions then I deleted an unused one now it works.
      My Computers


  4. Posts : 7
    10
       #103

    Brink said:
    Hoping you may be able to assist me as well.
    This is driving me bonkers trying ot figure this thing out. I keep getting the following failure:
    C:\WINDOWS\system32>mbr2gpt /validate /disk:0 /allowFullOS
    MBR2GPT: Attempting to validate disk 0
    MBR2GPT: Retrieving layout of disk
    MBR2GPT: Validating layout, disk sector size is: 512 bytes
    Disk layout validation failed for disk 0

    But when I check partitions, I only have the following:
    DISKPART> list partition

    Partition ### Type Size Offset
    ------------- ---------------- ------- -------
    Partition 1 Primary 446 GB 1024 KB
    Partition 2 Recovery 468 MB 446 GB

    So it isn't due to too many partitions on drive 0, it's an M.2 drive and it isn't in need of defrag or chkdsk'ing.
    When I look at Disk Management, Disk 0 shows my C: drive and the 468 MB Recovery Partition, just like the diskpart partition shows...
    Any idea what's causing my issue?
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 61,457
    64-bit Windows 11 Pro for Workstations
    Thread Starter
       #104

    Hello deadlyvortex, and welcome to Ten Forums.

    Please go ahead and post a screenshot of Disk Management showing your full layout to see if it may reveal what's wrong with disk 0.

    Disk Management - How to Post a Screenshot of | Windows 10 Tutorials
      My Computers


  6. Posts : 7
    10
       #105

    Brink said:
    Hello deadlyvortex, and welcome to Ten Forums.

    Please go ahead and post a screenshot of Disk Management showing your full layout to see if it may reveal what's wrong with disk 0.

    Disk Management - How to Post a Screenshot of | Windows 10 Tutorials
    Convert Windows 10 from Legacy BIOS to UEFI without Data Loss-capture.png
    I think I got it showing there correctly
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 61,457
    64-bit Windows 11 Pro for Workstations
    Thread Starter
       #106

    I noticed that your "Active" partition is on Disk 1 instead of Disk 0.

    As a test, disconnect Disk 1, 2, and 3 leaving only Disk 0 connected to see if you're still able to boot into Windows 10 and convert to UEFI.

    If you can't boot, then you could see if running a Startup Repair may allow you to afterwards.

    Run Startup Repair in Windows 10 | Windows 10 Tutorials
      My Computers


  8. Posts : 7
    10
       #107

    Brink said:
    I noticed that your "Active" partition is on Disk 1 instead of Disk 0.

    As a test, disconnect Disk 1, 2, and 3 leaving only Disk 0 connected to see if you're still able to boot into Windows 10 and convert to UEFI.

    If you can't boot, then you could see if running a Startup Repair may allow you to afterwards.

    Run Startup Repair in Windows 10 | Windows 10 Tutorials
    Should I simply right click on the C: drive area and select to mark it as Active rather than all of that?
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 61,457
    64-bit Windows 11 Pro for Workstations
    Thread Starter
       #108

    Yes, you could try that as well, but you should still disconnect the other drives to prevent any possible issues with something being written to them during the conversion.
      My Computers


  10. Posts : 7
    10
       #109

    Brink said:
    Yes, you could try that as well, but you should still disconnect the other drives to prevent any possible issues with something being written to them during the conversion.
    So I tried unplugging the other drives, but it then acted like I didn't have a boot drive available. Does that indicate that the other disk is the boot drive rather than my m.2 Disk 0 drive? That doesn't make any sense if so....
      My Computer


 

Tutorial Categories

Convert Windows 10 from Legacy BIOS to UEFI without Data Loss Tutorial Index Network & Sharing Instalation and Upgrade Browsers and Email General Tips Gaming Customization Apps and Features Virtualization BSOD System Security User Accounts Hardware and Drivers Updates and Activation Backup and Restore Performance and Maintenance Mixed Reality Phone


  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:56.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums