How to Change Default Downloads Folder in Microsoft Edge in Windows 10
InformationMicrosoft Edge is a new web browser that will be available across the Windows 10 device family. It is fast, compatible, and built for the modern Web.
When you use Microsoft Edge to download a file from the Internet, it is saved to the default downloads folder. The default downloads folder in Microsoft Edge is your %UserProfile%/Downloads folder.
Currently, Microsoft Edge does not include a setting to change the default downloads folder.
This tutorial will show you how to change the default downloads folder in Microsoft Edge for only your account in Windows 10.
- Option One: To Change Microsoft Edge Download Folder in Download Settings
- Option Two: To Change Microsoft Edge Download Folder in Registry Editor
OPTION ONETo Change Microsoft Edge Download Folder in Download Settings
1. Open the Microsoft Edge app.
2. Click/tap on the More actions button at the top right corner, and click/tap on Settings. (see screenshot below)
3. Click/tap on the View advanced settings button in Settings. (see screenshot below)
4. Click/tap on the Change button under Downloads in Advanced settings. (see screenshot below)
5. Browse to and select a folder (ex: Desktop) you want as your new Microsoft Edge downloads folder, and click/tap on Select Folder. (see screenshot below)
OPTION TWOTo To Change Microsoft Edge Download Folder in Registry Editor
1. In the search box on your taskbar or Start menu, type regedit, and press Enter to open Registry Editor.
2. If prompted by UAC, click/tap on Yes.
3. In Registry Editor, navigate to the location below. (see screenshot below)
4. In the right pane of the Main key, double click/tap on the Default Download Directory string value to modify it. (see screenshot below)
NoteThe Default Download Directory string value is not there by default, and will need to be added if you have not already.
Right click/or press and hold on an empty area in the right pane of the Main key, click/tap on New, click/tap on String Value, type Default Download Directory, and press Enter.
5. Type in the full path of the folder you want to be your default downloads folder in Microsoft Edge, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)
NoteBe sure to not wrap the full folder path in quotes. If you do, it will not work.
6. Open the downloads folder while in Microsoft Edge to verify the change.
7. You can now close registry editor if you like.
- How to View Downloads in Microsoft Edge in Windows 10
- How to Turn On or Off Microsoft Edge Download Save Prompt in Windows 10
- How to Move Your Downloads Folder Location in Windows 10
A much better solution than the usual one,
which is to change the default Windows