Update to Latest Version of Windows 10 using Update Assistant  

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

  1. Posts : 127
    Windows 10 Pro 21H2 (COMP. 19044.1620) x 64
       #80

    steve108 said:
    I installed it, then uninstalled it within hours myself, but many here are keeping it - so didn't want to discourage you
    Many thanks for your encouragement, Steve. But now I have one trouble.
    The Assistant was failed three times. Then, how can I to delete /uninstall the space that these fails left behind in the boot disk? Do you any ideas of how I can to procced? Thanks, as always, in advance.
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 21,424
    19044.1586 - 21H2 Pro x64
       #81

    Enrique said:
    Many thanks for your encouragement, Steve. But now I have one trouble.
    The Assistant was failed three times. Then, how can I to delete /uninstall the space that these fails left behind in the boot disk? Do you any ideas of how I can to procced? Thanks, as always, in advance.
    Open and Use Disk Cleanup in Windows 10 give this a try
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 74
    Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 20H1 (Os Build 19043.1165)
       #82

    Hello all. I am a noob at updating windows. Before I update my windows I have two questions please

    1) I have Windows 10 Pro x64 Version 1809 (OS Build 17763.557) installed. Although I have a licensed OS I keep getting this under my Win10 update setting "Feature update to Windows 10, version 2004 (15) Last failed install attempt on ‎10/‎26/‎2020 - 0x80240034" over and over again. By using the Update Assistant will I be able to update my windows to the latest version ?

    2) If I update Windows and not refresh or fresh install will I lose the programs that I have previously installed the ones in my program folders and will updating delete any data on my Drive C or my download folder on Drive C (since I have saved some data on my DriveC which is a SSD) ?

    Please can someone guide me thanks
      My Computers


  4. Posts : 21,424
    19044.1586 - 21H2 Pro x64
       #83

    kufr said:
    Hello all. I am a noob at updating windows. Before I update my windows I have two questions please

    1) I have Windows 10 Pro x64 Version 1809 (OS Build 17763.557) installed. Although I have a licensed OS I keep getting this under my Win10 update setting "Feature update to Windows 10, version 2004 (15) Last failed install attempt on ‎10/‎26/‎2020 - 0x80240034" over and over again. By using the Update Assistant will I be able to update my windows to the latest version ?

    2) If I update Windows and not refresh or fresh install will I lose the programs that I have previously installed the ones in my program folders and will updating delete any data on my Drive C or my download folder on Drive C (since I have saved some data on my DriveC which is a SSD) ?

    Please can someone guide me thanks
    Hello @kufr
    First, please make a full backup of your PC boot drive : Backup and Restore with Macrium Reflect because things can go wrong.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Then after you have a full backup, I recommend you download the 20H1/2004 Windows 10 ISO (not 20H2 - it has issues that may affect your PC) from TechBench by WZT (v4.1.1)
    then uninstall any 3rd party VPN or antivirus software you have, mount the 2004 ISO and run the setup.exe file to begin to installation process. Be sure to select to keep your personal apps and files.
    Last edited by steve108; 07 Nov 2020 at 17:25.
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 74
    Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 20H1 (Os Build 19043.1165)
       #84

    steve108 said:
    Hello @kufr
    First, please make a full backup of your PC boot drive : Backup and Restore with Macrium Reflect because things can go wrong.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Then after you have a full backup, I recommend you download the 20H1/2004 Windows 10 ISO (not 20H2 - it has issues that may affect your PC) from TechBench by WZT (v4.1.1)
    then uninstall any 3rd party VPN or antivirus software you have, mount the 2004 ISO and run the startup.exe file to begin to installation process. Be sure to select to keep your personal apps and files.
    Thanks for your reply. What do you mean by it has too many issues that may affect my PC. Can you shed some light on it.

    Also you never replied to my second query of will updating delete any data on my Drive C or my download folder on Drive C ?
      My Computers


  6. Posts : 21,424
    19044.1586 - 21H2 Pro x64
       #85

    kufr said:
    Thanks for your reply. What do you mean by it has too many issues that may affect my PC. Can you shed some light on it.

    Also you never replied to my second query of will updating delete any data on my Drive C or my download folder on Drive C ?
    Startup.exe should be setup.exe in my last post. If you follow my instructions, you should not lose anything - but please make a full backup first.

    - - - Updated - - -

    If you Google 20H2 issues / problems, you will find things. Some PCs have problems with 20H2, others don't. If you made a full backup, you can try 20H2.
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 74
    Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 20H1 (Os Build 19043.1165)
       #86

    Thanks
      My Computers


  8. Posts : 61,551
    64-bit Windows 11 Pro for Workstations
    Thread Starter
       #87

    You can now upgrade directly to Windows 10 21H1 with the Windows Update Assistant. See first post (tutorial) for more details.
      My Computers


  9. Posts : 897
    windows 10 professional 64-bit, 21H2
       #88

    Brink said:
    You can now upgrade directly to Windows 10 21H1 with the Windows Update Assistant. See first post (tutorial) for more details.
    Thanks for this, Shawn. When I tried using the Windows Update Assistance, I got this message:
    Update to Latest Version of Windows 10 using Update Assistant-image.png
    As you can see, I have Win10 version 2004. I'm wondering if this is because of the way I set my group policy settings.

    They are:
    1. Went to group policy > Edit group policy > Local Computer Policy > Administrative Templates >Windows Components >Windows Update >Windows Update for Business > Select the target Feature Update version > Enabled & typed in 21H1
    2. Went To Group Policy > Edit Group Policy > Local Computer Policy > Administrative Templates >Windows Components >Windows Update >Windows Update For Business > Select When Preview Builds & Feature Updates are received. Chose semi-annual channel & 180 days.


    Does this mean I'll be offered 21H2 in 180 days unless I change this?
      My Computers


  10. Posts : 61,551
    64-bit Windows 11 Pro for Workstations
    Thread Starter
       #89

    phrab said:
    Thanks for this, Shawn. When I tried using the Windows Update Assistance, I got this message:

    As you can see, I have Win10 version 2004. I'm wondering if this is because of the way I set my group policy settings.

    They are:
    1. Went to group policy > Edit group policy > Local Computer Policy > Administrative Templates >Windows Components >Windows Update >Windows Update for Business > Select the target Feature Update version > Enabled & typed in 21H1
    2. Went To Group Policy > Edit Group Policy > Local Computer Policy > Administrative Templates >Windows Components >Windows Update >Windows Update For Business > Select When Preview Builds & Feature Updates are received. Chose semi-annual channel & 180 days.


    Does this mean I'll be offered 21H2 in 180 days unless I change this?
    Hello Phil,

    Correct. I would assume your GPO settings are overriding the update as well.

    If you wanted to update to 21H1 now, you can test clearing the GPO, restart the computer, and see what Windows Update offers first.
      My Computers


 

Tutorial Categories

Update to Latest Version of Windows 10 using Update Assistant Tutorial Index Network & Sharing Instalation and Upgrade Browsers and Email General Tips Gaming Customization Apps and Features Virtualization BSOD System Security User Accounts Hardware and Drivers Updates and Activation Backup and Restore Performance and Maintenance Mixed Reality Phone


  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 14:01.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums