Use DISM to Repair Windows 10 Image  

Page 51 of 60 FirstFirst ... 414950515253 ... LastLast
  1. Bree's Avatar
    Posts : 9,655
    10 Home x64 (1809) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)
       23 May 2017 #500

    dAyLiTe said: View Post
    Originally Posted by Bree
    Then perhaps an in-place repair install.
    I was really trying to avoid that... but it's pretty much my last option.
    No, read the tutorial. An in-place upgrade repair keeps all your settings, installed apps and documents. It's not a last resort, it's no more disruptive than an upgrade to the next version of W10. It does however require a bootable windows in order to start it. A clean install is your last resort.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  2.   My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    03 Jun 2017 #502

    Bree said: View Post
    No, read the tutorial. An in-place upgrade repair keeps all your settings, installed apps and documents. It's not a last resort, it's no more disruptive than an upgrade to the next version of W10. It does however require a bootable windows in order to start it. A clean install is your last resort.
    This is potentially slightly misleading. I know what you meant - you need the iso to create a boot drive, or a bootable flash drive etc. with files on it.


    You do not actuallly boot from a flash drive.

    Whilst running windows, mount iso as a drive, or insert flash drive and run setup.exe.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    21 Jun 2017 #503

    Hi,im new and im having problem just like here(did same thing as well):error 0x800f081f The source files could - Microsoft Community

    Tried solutions from here with esd Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:esd:C:\$Windows.~BT\Sources\Install.esd:1 /limitaccess

    But same error 0x800f081f and source files could not be found.So i read also here that probably ISO is corrupted yeah? but i have it from official microsoft site,its fresh.So at this point i dont know what i should do.Im noob in this stuff.

    Ps.I have Windows 8.1.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    24 Jun 2017 #504

    Adorianu777 said: View Post
    Hi,im new and im having problem just like here(did same thing as well):error 0x800f081f The source files could - Microsoft Community
    @Adorianu777

    You mentioned that you are still on Win 8.1. Maybe it is time to take the leap and upgrade to Win 10 pro. Doing so might resolve your issue. You still have a chance to upgrade for free. Here is a link to do just that:

    Can You Still Get Windows 10 for Free? Yes! Here’s How

    If after upgrading, the issue persists, try to post back.
    Last edited by Brink; 24 Jun 2017 at 16:29. Reason: fixed quote box
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  6. Posts : 7
    Windows 10 Pro x64
       24 Jun 2017 #505

    Please help - sfc /scannow finds corruption on new machine


    Hi all.

    I'm setting up a new computer that my brother and I purchased for my father. It is a new HP Envy 17 running Windows 10 Pro x64.

    On a factory-new machine with no files installed, I noticed that sfc /scannow resulted in a finding that corruption was present which could not be repaired (source files not found). Reinstalling the OS from the HP recovery image on the hard drive does not make any difference (corruption still found). The recovery image appears to be based on Windows 10 Pro x64 version 1703, OS build 15063.250.

    Through Windows recovery, I tried restoring the machine by using the option to keep data and this does not correct the problem (sfc /scannow finds corruption).

    Through Windows recovery, I tried restoring the machine by using the option to REMOVE all data and this DOES resolve the problem (sfc /scannow does not find any corruption when the machine boots up). Obviously, I could start from this point and just track down the missing drivers and HP software that my dad will need, but I would like to figure out how to fix the recovery partition so that restoration will automatically have the proper start up drivers, etc. (plus quitting without figuring out why this is happening will continue to bother me).

    Thinking that the recovery image is defective, I had HP send me a new copy of the recovery image on a USB. However, restoring from the HP recover usb once again results in corruption found by sfc /scannow.

    Running "dism /online /cleanup-image / restorehealth" completes successfully but thereafter running an "sfc /scannow" still finds corruption that can not be repaired. This doesn't make sense to me and I would very much appreciate any assistance in pointing out what I'm doing wrong.

    Thank you!

    Alex
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  7. Posts : 7,567
    Dual boot Windows 10 FCU Pro x 64 & current Insider 10 Pro
       25 Jun 2017 #506

    Alex 3 said: View Post
    Hi all.

    I'm setting up a new computer that my brother and I purchased for my father. It is a new HP Envy 17 running Windows 10 Pro x64.

    On a factory-new machine with no files installed, I noticed that sfc /scannow resulted in a finding that corruption was present which could not be repaired (source files not found). Reinstalling the OS from the HP recovery image on the hard drive does not make any difference (corruption still found). The recovery image appears to be based on Windows 10 Pro x64 version 1703, OS build 15063.250.

    Through Windows recovery, I tried restoring the machine by using the option to keep data and this does not correct the problem (sfc /scannow finds corruption).

    Through Windows recovery, I tried restoring the machine by using the option to REMOVE all data and this DOES resolve the problem (sfc /scannow does not find any corruption when the machine boots up). Obviously, I could start from this point and just track down the missing drivers and HP software that my dad will need, but I would like to figure out how to fix the recovery partition so that restoration will automatically have the proper start up drivers, etc. (plus quitting without figuring out why this is happening will continue to bother me).

    Thinking that the recovery image is defective, I had HP send me a new copy of the recovery image on a USB. However, restoring from the HP recover usb once again results in corruption found by sfc /scannow.

    Running "dism /online /cleanup-image / restorehealth" completes successfully but thereafter running an "sfc /scannow" still finds corruption that can not be repaired. This doesn't make sense to me and I would very much appreciate any assistance in pointing out what I'm doing wrong.

    Thank you!

    Alex
    Hi there, Alex. Welcome to Ten Forums.

    You're not doing anything wrong. It looks like the OEM partition image is corrupt somehow. I think most here wouldn't use those anyway. IMO a waste of time with all the "crapware" that comes along with. However, this may void your warrantee. Either tell HP to get it right or check to see if a clean install would void the warrantee. The recovery partition can just sit there until warrantee has expired to be deleted later if need be. Windows 10 is perfectly capable of installing all necessary drivers and software to run correctly.

    If this is what you choose, make a recovery image disk after installation, but, again, check the warrantee.

    Clean Install Windows 10 Windows 10 Installation Upgrade Tutorials
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  8. f14tomcat's Avatar
    Posts : 38,302
    Triple boot - Win 10 Pro, Win 10 Pro Insider (2) - (and a sprinkling of VMs)
       25 Jun 2017 #507

    Alex 3 said: View Post
    Hi all.

    I'm setting up a new computer that my brother and I purchased for my father. It is a new HP Envy 17 running Windows 10 Pro x64.

    On a factory-new machine with no files installed, I noticed that sfc /scannow resulted in a finding that corruption was present which could not be repaired (source files not found). Reinstalling the OS from the HP recovery image on the hard drive does not make any difference (corruption still found). The recovery image appears to be based on Windows 10 Pro x64 version 1703, OS build 15063.250.

    Through Windows recovery, I tried restoring the machine by using the option to keep data and this does not correct the problem (sfc /scannow finds corruption).

    Through Windows recovery, I tried restoring the machine by using the option to REMOVE all data and this DOES resolve the problem (sfc /scannow does not find any corruption when the machine boots up). Obviously, I could start from this point and just track down the missing drivers and HP software that my dad will need, but I would like to figure out how to fix the recovery partition so that restoration will automatically have the proper start up drivers, etc. (plus quitting without figuring out why this is happening will continue to bother me).

    Thinking that the recovery image is defective, I had HP send me a new copy of the recovery image on a USB. However, restoring from the HP recover usb once again results in corruption found by sfc /scannow.

    Running "dism /online /cleanup-image / restorehealth" completes successfully but thereafter running an "sfc /scannow" still finds corruption that can not be repaired. This doesn't make sense to me and I would very much appreciate any assistance in pointing out what I'm doing wrong.

    Thank you!

    Alex
    @Alex 3

    Alex, welcome to Tenforums.

    If we knew what errors you were getting with sfc /scannow, it would help. Not always, but often they are benign or can be corrected without major work. You're free to do a complete wipe and a clean install, but maybe if we look at the errors, they are fixable.

    Download and Run this batch file: CBS_SR_TO_TEXT.bat

    It will produce a text file on your desktop showing only the SFC SR entries from the CBS log. It is much smaller than the entire CBS log. Please post the text file here so we can take a look at it.

    Here is the tutorial for posting attachments on Tenforums:

    How to Upload and Post Screenshots and Files at Ten Forums Windows 10 Tutorials

    The text file will look similar to this:

    sfcdetails.txt

    Thanks, TC
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  9. Posts : 7
    Windows 10 Pro x64
       25 Jun 2017 #508

    Thank you very much for the .bat file! That makes troubleshooting a whole lot easier and I will definitely keep it around for future use.

    I don't mind doing a full restore, but I'd prefer to get the issue with the recovery partition sorted out.

    From what I can tell, the problem files seem pretty innocuous but I'm not sure how to replace them.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  10. f14tomcat's Avatar
    Posts : 38,302
    Triple boot - Win 10 Pro, Win 10 Pro Insider (2) - (and a sprinkling of VMs)
       25 Jun 2017 #509

    Alex 3 said: View Post
    Thank you very much for the .bat file! That makes troubleshooting a whole lot easier and I will definitely keep it around for future use.

    I don't mind doing a full restore, but I'd prefer to get the issue with the recovery partition sorted out.

    From what I can tell, the problem files seem pretty innocuous but I'm not sure how to replace them.
    @Alex 3

    They may be innocuous. Like I mentioned, if you could post the .txt file, we could look at it and maybe advise. Without it, we have no idea what the issue may be. That is entirely up to you, though. Post back if you want someone here to assist any further.

    TC
      My ComputersSystem Spec


 
Page 51 of 60 FirstFirst ... 414950515253 ... LastLast

Tutorial Categories

Use DISM to Repair Windows 10 Image Tutorial Index Network & Sharing Instalation and Upgrade Browsers and Email General Tips Gaming Customization Apps and Features Virtualization BSOD System Security User Accounts Hardware and Drivers Updates and Activation Backup and Restore Performance and Maintenance Mixed Reality Phone


Related Threads
SFC Scannow or DISM/RestoreHealth using Image in Performance & Maintenance
Windows 10 user. Having some trouble with my system after coming back from a weekend. Nothing major...just having trouble playing some games that require plugins etc Regardless if it's related, I just wanted to run an SFC/Scannow or...
Hello, everyone, I've managed to resolve most of my problems with build 10041 by making SFC work. I've opened a thread on Windows Insider's forums explaining how to do it. Check it out:...
I've just upgraded Windows 7 64-bit HP OEM to Windows 10 Technical preview 64-bit. Extracted the install while booted within 7, install went smoothly, opted to keep all my files, and once the install was finished it went to boot Windows 10. It hung...
I installed the 32 bit version of W10 on an old Acer laptop to get back up to speed with developments, and one of the first questions or issues that cropped up is when using W10's disk image utility to make a system image. I deliberately wished to...
Windows 10 TP Repair and Recovery Features in Installation and Upgrade
I'm currently running the 10 TP in a virtual machine. I see that the various boot and repair options can be accessed by <shift> Restart from the desktop, however F8 during boot doesn't appear to work. Can someone who is actually running this on...

Tags for this Thread

Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:51.
Find Us