Reset Windows Backup to Default in Windows 10  

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

  1. Posts : 6
    DOS 6.32
       #10

    No. I restarted the PC, Win Backup IS configured, Regedit run as Admin shows up to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ and some Windows... keys, but none is WindowsBackup.
    I disabled the schedule and removed the drive letter. Hope that's enough. I don't want automatic backups mess with my fresh system backup. I want it to be pristine I don't use WinBkp for personal files.
      My Computer

  2. Brink's Avatar
    Posts : 49,694
    64-bit Windows 10 Pro for Workstations build 20161
    Thread Starter
       #11

    Ktulu789 said:
    No. I restarted the PC, Win Backup IS configured, Regedit run as Admin shows up to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ and some Windows... keys, but none is WindowsBackup.
    I disabled the schedule and removed the drive letter. Hope that's enough. I don't want automatic backups mess with my fresh system backup. I want it to be pristine I don't use WinBkp for personal files.
    If Windows Backup shows this below with "Windows Backup has not been set up.", then you shouldn't have any created.

      My Computers


  3. Posts : 6
    DOS 6.32
       #12

    Brink said:
    If Windows Backup shows this below with "Windows Backup has not been set up.", then you shouldn't have any created.
    I do have Windows Backup configured. I do have a disk selected. I do have the button to manage space. I do have the link to change schedule settings. And I do have the Backup now button.
    The "Backup" section is not showing "Windows Backup has not been set up --- Set up backup"

    I do want my screen to look like your screenshot.
    I don't have WindowsBackup key in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\

    Yes, I'm looking at the Registry tree. CurrentVersion has lots of subkeys, none is WindowsBackup. And I'm puzzled too xD
    I have the latest windows version: 2004. Maybe that changed the location in the registry or the key name? Hardly buy maaaaybe.
      My Computer

  4. Brink's Avatar
    Posts : 49,694
    64-bit Windows 10 Pro for Workstations build 20161
    Thread Starter
       #13

    Ktulu789 said:
    I do have Windows Backup configured. I do have a disk selected. I do have the button to manage space. I do have the link to change schedule settings. And I do have the Backup now button.
    The "Backup" section is not showing "Windows Backup has not been set up --- Set up backup"

    I do want my screen to look like your screenshot.
    I don't have WindowsBackup key in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\

    Yes, I'm looking at the Registry tree. CurrentVersion has lots of subkeys, none is WindowsBackup. And I'm puzzled too xD
    I have the latest windows version: 2004. Maybe that changed the location in the registry or the key name? Hardly buy maaaaybe.
    Odd. I just tested setting up Windows Backup on my system, and it still save all the settings to the registry key below for me.

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsBackup

    I suppose, go ahead and post a screenshot of your Registry Editor of where the key above should be to see if anything may stand out.
      My Computers


  5. Posts : 6
    DOS 6.32
       #14

    Brink said:
    I suppose, go ahead and post a screenshot of your Registry Editor of where the key above should be to see if anything may stand out.
    Reset Windows Backup to Default in Windows 10-regedit.png
    This is RegEditor the bottom of CurrentVersion, Parent key didn't fit on one screen but you can see "Run", "RunOnce" and other keys. Also "DWM" which is the next key to "CurrentVersion".
    Reset Windows Backup to Default in Windows 10-winbkp.png
    And this is the Windows Backup window. I changed (removed) the drive letter from DiskManager aaaand it still figured out the location :-P
    It's still alive.
      My Computer

  6. Brink's Avatar
    Posts : 49,694
    64-bit Windows 10 Pro for Workstations build 20161
    Thread Starter
       #15

    @Ktulu789,

    It's odd that you do not have the "Windows Backup" key there in the registry when it should be since you clearly still have Windows Backup setup.

    As a test, create a manual backup in Windows Backup from your second screenshot to see if it may update the registry afterwards.
      My Computers


  7. Posts : 6
    DOS 6.32
       #16

    Brink said:
    @Ktulu789,

    It's odd that you do not have the "Windows Backup" key there in the registry when it should be since you clearly still have Windows Backup setup.

    As a test, create a manual backup in Windows Backup from your second screenshot to see if it may update the registry afterwards.
    Tested a Manual backup with Administrator's Documents. No key in Registry.
      My Computer


  8. Brink's Avatar
    Posts : 49,694
    64-bit Windows 10 Pro for Workstations build 20161
    Thread Starter
       #17

    Ktulu789 said:
    Tested a Manual backup with Administrator's Documents. No key in Registry.
    I must admit that I don't know why this key isn't there for you.

    Every system and VM I test this on has the key added when Windows Backup is set up.
      My Computers


  9. Posts : 6
    DOS 6.32
       #18

    Brink said:
    I must admit that I don't know why this key isn't there for you.
    Every system and VM I test this on has the key added when Windows Backup is set up.
    Yeah! It's odd, really.
    I first searched for how to reset this config and found a page for Win 7 and 8... I thought the problem was the version, then I came here and saw that the registry location was the same.

    Thanks a bunch for all your kind support and replies! I wish MS had more GUI options for resetting stuff without having to resort to Registry, Policies or PowerShell, really.
    You rock!
      My Computer


  10. Posts : 4
    Windows 10 Pro Version 2004
       #19

    I wanted to reset my backups and I used the batch file Reset Windows Backup.bat. After running and restarting, I get the screen that allows me to set up a new backup, as expected. I am able to step through the set up wizard with no errors. When I get to the last button prior to performing the backup,

    I get the following error: Status_Wait_2 0x8007002 code with NO additional information.

    Can you help?
      My Computer


 

Tutorial Categories

Reset Windows Backup to Default in Windows 10 Tutorial Index Network & Sharing Instalation and Upgrade Browsers and Email General Tips Gaming Customization Apps and Features Virtualization BSOD System Security User Accounts Hardware and Drivers Updates and Activation Backup and Restore Performance and Maintenance Mixed Reality Phone


Related Threads
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 00:26.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums