PIN - Reset for your Account in Windows 10

    PIN - Reset for your Account in Windows 10

    How to Reset the PIN for your Account in Windows 10
    Published by
    2015-06-22
    Designer Media Ltd

    Published by


    Brink's Avatar
    Administrator

    Posts: 17,471

    Show Printable Version 


    How to Reset the PIN for your Account in Windows 10

    information   Information
    You can create a PIN (Personal Identification Number) to use in place of passwords. Having a PIN makes it easier to sign in to Windows, apps, and services.

    When you sign-in to Windows 10 with a PIN number, you only need to type your PIN number without pressing Enter.

    The only way to set up your PIN again is to reset it.

    This tutorial will show you how to reset the PIN for your account in Windows 10.

    Note   Note
    If you use your Microsoft account PIN to access games, social networking, or financial institutions, you'll need to log in from scratch in each of those places after your reset your PIN.

    Tip   Tip
    If you are unable to sign in to Windows 10 with your PIN, you can click/tap on the Sign-in options link, and select to sign in with your password instead.


    EXAMPLE: Sign-in to Windows 10 with PIN
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Default_sign_in_screen.jpg 
Views:	2224 
Size:	65.6 KB 
ID:	26174




    Here's How:

    1. Open the Settings app, and click/tap on the Accounts icon.

    2. Click/tap on Sign-in options on the left side, and click/tap on the I forgot my PIN link under PIN on the right side. (see screenshot below)

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Windows_10_Reset_PIN-1.png 
Views:	280 
Size:	56.1 KB 
ID:	105264

    3. If your PIN is for a Microsoft account, then click/tap on Continue to confirm. (see screenshot below)

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Windows_10_Reset_PIN-2.png 
Views:	132 
Size:	30.8 KB 
ID:	105265

    4. If prompted to verify your account password, enter your password or required information, and click/tap on OK or Sign in, Next, and Next. (see screenshot below)

    (Verify local account)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Verify_local_account.png 
Views:	485 
Size:	19.7 KB 
ID:	22240

    (Verify Microsoft account)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Verify_Microsoft_aaccount-1.png 
Views:	729 
Size:	59.4 KB 
ID:	22241

    5. Enter at least a minimum 4 digit new PIN number you want for your account, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Windows_10_Reset_PIN-4.png 
Views:	504 
Size:	20.4 KB 
ID:	22239

    6. When finished, you can close Settings if you like.


    That's it,
    Shawn



  1. Joined : May 2015
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts : 13
    Windows 10 - 10547
       2015-06-23 #1

    Thanks so much for this! I really liked the PIN option in Win8.1 and was frustrated when it stopped working for me in Win10b10074 and remained non-functioning in Win10b10130. It would not occur to me that I needed to pretend to have forgotten my PIN. Not intuitive for me.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  2. Joined : Oct 2013
    Posts : 17,471
    64-bit Windows 10 Pro build 15014
       2015-06-23 #2

    Yeah, hopefully Microsoft will add a separate "Reset" button instead to help make it clearer.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  3. Joined : Oct 2015
    Posts : 2
    Windows 10
       2015-10-29 #3

    There is no need to go through the reset procedure to change your pin. Simply go to settings> accounts > sign in options, and click on the change button, seen in the tutorial just to the left of the "I forgot my pin" link. You will be prompted to enter your current pin, the new pin, and confirm the new pin. This will change the pin for any devices that use the account to log on in Win10, or Win 8.1. It will not change the 4 digit numeric password us on the Win 8.1 phone lock screen, as this is not an actual log in. You have to change it manually in the phone's settings under change password.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  4. Joined : Oct 2013
    Posts : 17,471
    64-bit Windows 10 Pro build 15014
       2015-10-29 #4

    johnsonwilliam said: View Post
    There is no need to go through the reset procedure to change your pin. Simply go to settings> accounts > sign in options, and click on the change button, seen in the tutorial just to the left of the "I forgot my pin" link. You will be prompted to enter your current pin, the new pin, and confirm the new pin. This will change the pin for any devices that use the account to log on in Win10, or Win 8.1. It will not change the 4 digit numeric password us on the Win 8.1 phone lock screen, as this is not an actual log in. You have to change it manually in the phone's settings under change password.
    Hello Johnson, and welcome to Ten Forums.

    The tutorial here is for if you forgot your PIN, and wanted to reset to change it instead.

    What you posted would be fine if you remembered your PIN and just wanted to change it like in the tutorial below.

    PIN - Change for your Account in Windows 10
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  5. Joined : Oct 2015
    Posts : 2
    Windows 10
       2015-10-29 #5

    Brink said: View Post
    Hello Johnson, and welcome to Ten Forums.

    The tutorial here is for if you forgot your PIN, and wanted to reset to change it instead.

    What you posted would be fine if you remembered your PIN and just wanted to change it like in the tutorial below.

    PIN - Change for your Account in Windows 10
    Actually, the thread plainly discusses pretending to forget your pin in order to change it. The tutorial seems to imply that this is necessary. My post is directed at the individual who specifically mentioned pretending to forget. If the tutorial is meant to teach how to reset a forgetten pin, it needs to be rewritten to make that clear.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  6. Joined : Oct 2013
    Posts : 17,471
    64-bit Windows 10 Pro build 15014
       2015-10-29 #6

    johnsonwilliam said: View Post
    Actually, the thread plainly discusses pretending to forget your pin in order to change it. The tutorial seems to imply that this is necessary. My post is directed at the individual who specifically mentioned pretending to forget. If the tutorial is meant to teach how to reset a forgetten pin, it needs to be rewritten to make that clear.
    Sorry, I thought that I forgot my PIN would have been clear enough.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


 


Similar Threads
Tutorial Category
Reset Windows 10
How to Reset Windows 10 Resetting lets you choose whether to keep your files or remove them, and then reinstalls Windows. For more information, see: Push-button reset (Windows Drivers) Recovery options in Windows 10
Tutorials
Password of User Account - Change in Windows 10
How to Change Password of Local Account or Microsoft Account in Windows 10 If you have a local account on the PC, then your Windows password is what you use to sign in to your user account in Windows on the PC. If you have a Microsoft...
Tutorials
Windows 10 reset BSOD?
So I'm on the latest Windows 10 build (RTM) 10240 and today I wanted to reset my PC since I was getting some pretty poor gaming performance. Anyway I ran the reset and after it finished resetting, it got constant BSODs of inaccessible_boot_device....
BSOD Crashes and Debugging
Windows 10 new Reset feature ?
Hi Back in March 16, the Windows team of MSFT revealed that Windows 10 won't use a separate "Recovery" image for "Refresh" and 'Reset" feature. Later MSDN page on "Reset" is updated with some more info about this new change. So according...
General Support
Local Account or Microsoft Account - How to Tell in Windows 10
How to Check if User is a Local Account or Microsoft Account in Windows 10 You can sign in to Windows 10 with a local account or a Microsoft account. This tutorial will show you how to check if a user account in Windows 10 is either a local...
Tutorials
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 20:49.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 10 Forums