How to Reset the PIN for your Account in Windows 10
InformationYou can create a PIN (Personal Identification Number) to use in place of passwords. Having a PIN makes it easier to sign in to Windows, apps, and services.
When you sign-in to Windows 10 with a PIN number, you only need to type your PIN number without pressing Enter.
The only way to set up your PIN again is to reset it.
This tutorial will show you how to reset the PIN for your account in Windows 10.
NoteIf you use your Microsoft account PIN to access games, social networking, or financial institutions, you'll need to log in from scratch in each of those places after your reset your PIN.
TipIf you are unable to sign in to Windows 10 with your PIN, you can click/tap on the Sign-in options link, and select to sign in with your password instead.
EXAMPLE: Sign-in to Windows 10 with PIN
1. Open the Settings app, and click/tap on the Accounts icon.
2. Click/tap on Sign-in options on the left side, and click/tap on the I forgot my PIN link under PIN on the right side. (see screenshot below)
3. If your PIN is for a Microsoft account, then click/tap on Continue to confirm. (see screenshot below)
4. If prompted to verify your account password, enter your password or required information, and click/tap on OK or Sign in, Next, and Next. (see screenshot below)
(Verify local account)
(Verify Microsoft account)
5. Enter at least a minimum 4 digit new PIN number you want for your account, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)
6. When finished, you can close Settings if you like.
- How to Add a PIN to your Account in Windows 10
- How to Change the PIN for your Account in Windows 10
- How to Remove PIN from your Account in Windows 10
Thanks so much for this! I really liked the PIN option in Win8.1 and was frustrated when it stopped working for me in Win10b10074 and remained non-functioning in Win10b10130. It would not occur to me that I needed to pretend to have forgotten my PIN. Not intuitive for me.