How to Download and Install Media Feature Pack for N Editions of Windows 10
InformationThe "N" editions of Windows 10 include the same functionality as other editions of Windows 10 except for media-related technologies. The N editions don't include Windows Media Player, Skype, or certain preinstalled media apps (Music, Video, Voice Recorder).
If you use N editions of Windows 10, you must install other software from Microsoft or other companies to have this communication functionality; to play or create audio CDs, media files, and video DVDs; to stream music; and to take and store pictures.
New features such as Cortana, Windows Hello, and PDF viewing in the new Edge browser rely on Windows Media files that aren't included in N editions. And some websites and software, such as Windows Store apps or Microsoft Office, use Windows Media-related files that aren't included in N editions.
For more information, see:
- Media Feature Pack list for Windows N editions
- Media Feature Pack for N and KN editions of Windows 10 Version 1508 - KB3010081
- Media Feature Pack for N and KN editions of Windows 10 Version 1511 - KB3010081
- Media Feature Pack for N editions of Windows 10 Version 1607 - KB3133719
- Media Feature Pack for N edition of Windows 10 Version 1703 - KB4016817
This tutorial will show you how to download and install the Media Feature Pack for N editions of Windows 10.
You must be signed in as an administrator to be able to install the Media Feature Pack.
NoteThe media-related features that are not provided in N editions of Windows 10 include, but are not limited to, the following.
Feature Description Windows Media Player user experience Enables Windows Media Player features, such as the ability to play media files and audio CDs, manage media in a library, create a playlist, provide media metadata (including album art), create an audio CD, transfer music to a portable music player, and play streamed content from the website. Windows Media Player ActiveX control Exposes methods and properties for manipulating multimedia playback from a webpage or an app. Windows Media Format Provides support for the Advanced Systems Format (ASF) file container, the Windows Media audio and video codecs, basic network streaming capability, and digital rights management (DRM). Windows Media DRM Enables the secure delivery of protected content for playback on a computer, portable device, or network device. Media sharing and Play To. Enables music, pictures, and videos on a networked computer to be shared with other computers and devices on the same network. Also enables computers to find those kinds of files on the network. Media Foundation Provides support for content protection, audio and video quality, and interoperability for DRM. Windows 8.1 Portable Devices (WPD) infrastructure Communicates with attached media and storage devices, including devices that support the Media Transfer Protocol. MPEG, WMA, AAC, FLAC, ALAC, AMR, Dolby Digital audio, and Opus codecs Enable playback of digital audio content such as MP3, WMA, MPEG-2 audio, AAC, FLAC, ALAC, AC-3, and Opus. VC-1, MPEG-4, H.264, H.265, H.263, and VP9 codecs "Standards-based codec components" that enable Windows 10 software experiences such as Windows Media Player to support activities that include the playback and creation of multimedia files that are encoded with standards-based codecs. Groove A preinstalled app that plays digital music. Movies & TV A preinstalled app that plays digital video. Voice Recorder A preinstalled app for recording sounds. Skype A preinstalled app for messaging and communications.
1. Click/tap on the Download button below to go to the Media Feature Pack download page at Microsoft for your version of Windows 10.
(N and KN editions of Windows 10 version 1508)
(N and KN editions of Windows 10 version 1511)
(N editions of Windows 10 version 1607)
(N editions of Windows 10 version 1703)
2. On the Microsoft website, select the language you want, and click/tap on Download. (see screenshot below)
3. Select (check) the same 32-bit or 64-bit MSU as the 32-bit or 64-bit Windows 10 you are installing on, and click/tap on Next to download. (see screenshot below)
4. Save the MSU file to where you like. (see screenshot below)
5. Double click/tap on the downloaded MSU file to install.
Media Feature Pack for N edition of Windows 10 Version 1703 now available.