How to Change Windows To Go Startup Options in Windows 10
InformationWindows To Go is a feature available only in the Windows 10 Pro, Windows 10 Enterprise and Windows 10 Education editions that enables the creation of a Windows To Go workspace that can be booted from a USB-connected external drive on PCs (hosts). The portable Windows To Go workspace will run using the hardware and resources of the host PC.
PCs that meet the Windows 7 or later certification requirements can run Windows Enterprise in a Windows To Go workspace, regardless of the operating system running on the PC. Windows To Go workspaces can use the same image enterprises use for their desktops and laptops and can be managed the same way. Windows To Go is not intended to replace desktops, laptops or supplant other mobility offerings. Rather, it provides support for efficient use of resources for alternative workplace scenarios.
You can change Windows To Go Startup Options at any time to turn on or off having your PC automatically boot from a Windows To Go workspace USB when it's connected while you boot your PC. If turned off, you will have to manually boot from the Windows To Go workspace USB instead.
For additional information and details about Windows To Go, see:
- Windows To Go feature overview (Windows 10)
- Windows To Go frequently asked questions (Windows 10)
- Best practice recommendations for Windows To Go (Windows 10)
- Tips for configuring your BIOS settings to work with Windows To Go - TechNet Articles
- Windows To Go FAQs - Why isnít my computer booting from USB?
This tutorial will show you how to turn on or off to automatically boot your Windows 10 PC from a Windows To Go workspace USB flash drive when connected.
You must be signed in as an administrator to be able to change Windows To Go startup options.
- Option One: Turn On or Off Automatically Boot PC from Windows To Go Workspace in Windows To Go Startup Options
- Option Two: Turn On or Off Automatically Boot PC from Windows To Go Workspace in Command Prompt
OPTION ONETurn On or Off Automatically Boot PC from Windows To Go Workspace in Windows To Go Startup Options
1. Press the Win+R keys to open Run, enter the command below, and click/tap OK to open Windows To Go Startup Options.
2. Select (dot) Yes or No for what you want, and click/tap on Save changes. (see screenshot below)
OPTION TWOTurn On or Off Automatically Boot PC from Windows To Go Workspace in Command Prompt
1. Open an elevated command prompt.
2. Enter the command below for what you want to do, and press Enter. You can close the command prompt when finished if you like. (see screenshots below)
(To display current state)
(To enable the startup option)
(To disable the startup option)