How to Add a Picture Password to your Account in Windows 10
InformationYou can sign in to your PC with a picture password. You choose the picture and the three gestures you use with it to create a password that's uniquely yours. When you have chose a picture, you "draw" with the mouse, touchpad, or pin/finger on a touchscreen to create a combination of circles, straight lines, and taps. The size, position, and direction of your gestures become part of your picture password.
This tutorial will show you how to add a picture password to your account in Windows 10.
- You can create a picture password for a local account and Microsoft account.
- A local account must have a password to be able to add a picture password. A Microsoft account will be password protected by default.
- If your PC is joined to a domain, then you will not be able to add a picture password. The PC must be a member of a workgroup instead.
- You can click/tap on the Sign-on options link on the Sign-in screen to change what (ex: Picture password, password, PIN, Face, Fingerprint) to use to sign-in to your account with.
- When you boot to Safe Mode, you will only be able to sign in with your account's password, and not with any other sign-in option.
EXAMPLE: Picture password on Sign-in screen
1. Open Settings, and click/tap on the Accounts icon.
2. Click/tap on Sign-in options on the left side, and click/tap on the Add button under Picture password on the right side. (see screenshot below)
3. Enter your account's password to verify it's you, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)
4. Click/tap on Choose picture in the left pane. (see screenshot below)
5. Navigate to and select the picture file you want to use, and click/tap on Open. (see screenshot below)
6. Drag your picture to position it the way you want, and click/tap on Use this picture when finished. (see screenshot below)
NoteIf you want to use a different picture, then click/tap on Choose new picture and repeat step 5 above until you have a picture you want to use.
7. Draw the first gesture on your picture. (see screenshot below)
8. Draw the second gesture on your picture. (see screenshot below)
9. Draw the third gesture on your picture. (see screenshot below)
10. You will now need to repeat steps 7 to 9 above to draw the same three gestures again to confirm them. (see screenshot below)
11. If successful, click/tap on Finish. (see screenshot below)
12. Your picture password has now been added as a sign-in option. You can now close Settings if you like. (see screenshot below)
- How to Remove a Picture Password from your Account in Windows 10
- How to Change Picture Password for your Account in Windows 10
- How to Replay your Picture Password in Windows 10
- How to Add a PIN to your Account in Windows 10
- How to Add or Remove a Fingerprint for your Account in Windows 10
- How to Set up Windows Hello Face Recognition in Windows 10
- How to Add Password to Local Account in Windows 10