Windows 10: Backup and Restore with Macrium Reflect  

Page 9 of 22 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

  1. Posts : 5
    Windows 10 and Windows 7
       06 Jan 2017 #80

    Using Macrium Reflect Free, I had 3 full images (October, November, and December 2016) and their associated differential images on an external drive. At the end of December, I decided to set up a backup schedule in Macrium Reflect so that at 6 am on the first Friday of each month it would create and save a full image of my C drive. The retention policy I made was to retain two (2) full images, with the purge running after the image. Today is the first Friday of the month, so per that schedule, I was expecting to see on my external drive (which is the target drive) a full image made of my C drive dated today January 6th, along with the full image from last month December. I thought the October and November full images (along with their differentials) would be purged/deleted. But instead what I ended up with was a full image of my C drive dated today (this is what I expected) and the full image and differentials from October (not what I expected). All the November and December were purged/deleted. Ugh! I wasn't ready for my December images to be killed off. Anyone have an explanation what happened and how to fix the schedule on a going-forward basis?
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 25,425
    Triple boot - Win 10 Pro, Win 10 Pro Insider (2) - (and a sprinkling of VMs)
       06 Jan 2017 #81

    ftw1 said: View Post
    Using Macrium Reflect Free, I had 3 full images (October, November, and December 2016) and their associated differential images on an external drive. At the end of December, I decided to set up a backup schedule in Macrium Reflect so that at 6 am on the first Friday of each month it would create and save a full image of my C drive. The retention policy I made was to retain two (2) full images, with the purge running after the image. Today is the first Friday of the month, so per that schedule, I was expecting to see on my external drive (which is the target drive) a full image made of my C drive dated today January 6th, along with the full image from last month December. I thought the October and November full images (along with their differentials) would be purged/deleted. But instead what I ended up with was a full image of my C drive dated today (this is what I expected) and the full image and differentials from October (not what I expected). All the November and December were purged/deleted. Ugh! I wasn't ready for my December images to be killed off. Anyone have an explanation what happened and how to fix the schedule on a going-forward basis?
    I believe it may be the retention rules. If you have it set to "matching", it probably purged the Nov/Dec and kept the Oct because it was a different set. Try setting it to "all sets" as in attached.

    I don't use differentials, myself, but it's sounds like this is the issue.

    Maybe someone else ( @Kari ) can clarify. TC

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2017-01-06_16h33_06.png 
Views:	34 
Size:	53.0 KB 
ID:	116096
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  3. Posts : 5
    Windows 10 and Windows 7
       07 Jan 2017 #82

    f14tomcat said: View Post
    I believe it may be the retention rules. If you have it set to "matching", it probably purged the Nov/Dec and kept the Oct because it was a different set. Try setting it to "all sets" as in attached.

    I don't use differentials, myself, but it's sounds like this is the issue.

    Maybe someone else ( @Kari ) can clarify. TC

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2017-01-06_16h33_06.png 
Views:	34 
Size:	53.0 KB 
ID:	116096
    Thanks tomcat.
    I've made the setting change as you've suggested and we'll see if that does the trick. Love Macrium Reflect, but I don't think it's the most user-friendly program out there. IMO, while it's powerfully flexible, it's also pretty complicated... evidenced by the fact their user manual is 374 pages long!
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    07 Jan 2017 #83

    ftw1 said: View Post
    Thanks tomcat.
    I've made the setting change as you've suggested and we'll see if that does the trick. Love Macrium Reflect, but I don't think it's the most user-friendly program out there. IMO, while it's powerfully flexible, it's also pretty complicated... evidenced by the fact their user manual is 374 pages long!
    The retention rules got a whole lot more complicated in V6.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  5. Posts : 12,199
    W10Prox64
       08 Jan 2017 #84

    Anyone notice this? I have made recovery media on three different W10 systems (2x64+1x86) - all updating to v6.3.1665 each time. Then, when I go back, it wants to update the rescue media again to the same version, over and over and over.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  6. Posts : 16,183
    Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 14393, Windows 10 Insider Fast Ring, Windows 8.1 Update, Ubuntu
       08 Jan 2017 #85

    simrick said: View Post
    Anyone notice this? I have made recovery media on three different W10 systems (2x64+1x86) - all updating to v6.3.1665 each time. Then, when I go back, it wants to update the rescue media again to the same version, over and over and over.
    Ah... no. Once I create the media and test it, it goes in its drawer. Why do you want to go back to creating a recovery drive, when you finished making it?
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  7. Posts : 12,199
    W10Prox64
       08 Jan 2017 #86

    Cliff S said: View Post
    Ah... no. Once I create the media and test it, it goes in its drawer. Why do you want to go back to creating a recovery drive, when you finished making it?
    Cliff, the point is, I update the rescue media because it tells me there's an update available for recovery media when I go to make it, then I make the recovery media, then I check again, and it wants to update again, to the same version I just updated it to.

    I make 2: an ISO and a flash drive. That's why I noticed it.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  8. Posts : 167
    trying to install win10
       08 Jan 2017 #87

    To update an existing installation, click through to the final rescue media Wizard page and click 'Rebuild'. If your system contains any partition encrypted using BitLocker XTS then the appropriate PE components will be automatically downloaded and PE 10 updated to 1607.
    The existing media is 1607, yet it still does this:

    Name:  MAC1.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  190.1 KB
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  9. Posts : 16
    Windows 7 Professional/Windows 10 Home
       08 Jan 2017 #88

    simrick said: View Post
    Anyone notice this? I have made recovery media on three different W10 systems (2x64+1x86) - all updating to v6.3.1665 each time. Then, when I go back, it wants to update the rescue media again to the same version, over and over and over.
    Yep... same here.

    I always make 2 recovery media on USB sticks and it does exactly the same in Windows 10 and Windows 7.

    Seems to be a 'bug' in the latest version of Macrium Reflect. The previous version (6.3.1549) doesn't do it.

    I was going to post about it on the Macrium Reflect forums but I'm using the free version and it seems you need to be using the paid version to register and post there.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  10. Posts : 25,425
    Triple boot - Win 10 Pro, Win 10 Pro Insider (2) - (and a sprinkling of VMs)
       08 Jan 2017 #89

    @simrick - try installing MR on top of itself. You'll get a repair option and it will rewrite it's files & dll's, etc. That's fixed goofy problems for me with MR. Something this time going to 1665 thru the auto-update process didn't quite do right. I know it's multiple machines.

    P.S. - I had to install MR on top of itself because VSS broke randomly. I do not get your situation when I take the create option. It clicks right thru to this:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2017-01-08_20h51_37.png 
Views:	42 
Size:	34.8 KB 
ID:	116349
      My ComputersSystem Spec


 
Page 9 of 22 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Related Threads
Solved Macrium Reflect Backup Failures in Backup and Restore
I noticed today that my daily Reflect backups had failed for the past three days, all with the same log file errors. The Reflect help file has an entry for VSS Error: 0x8004231f - Failed to Create Volume Snapshot. I started to research that,...
A couple of days ago Macrium was working just fine but then when it started it's daily backup of my system drive (incremental) it failed pretty well straight away, with this message: Starting Image - Friday, January 20, 2017...
I threw MACRIUM into the title because I knew it would get Caledon Ken's attention as he keeps recommending it. My problem with any kind of backups is that when you do so, you are copying all existing errors, bugs and other problems that exist,...
I've configured Reflect to automatically run full and differential backups to two drives as shown in the enclosed Reflect status report. 111247 The report says the last " full system backup to usb hdd" was run on 14/11/16 and was successful....
Hi there Trying to restore an image on to a RAID 0 SSD from stand alone version. After loading the RAID driver Macrium SEES all the HDD's and can select images etc. However when TARGET destination is chosen No HDD's are seen. !!! ...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 20:08.
Find Us