Backup and Restore with Macrium Reflect  


  1. Posts : 27,454
    Windows 10 Pro x64 Version 21H1
       #790

    and after you make each one test it. Make sure it boots and make sure it can see your external image.
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 19,209
    W11+W11 Developer Insider + Linux
       #791

    And verify every image you make. It can do it automatically if you set so in MR main program.
      My Computers


  3. Posts : 2,295
    Win10 202H
       #792

    Mike100 said:
    Thanks for all the replies.

    If MR has to be installed on the C: drive, what is the purpose of this Macrium USB?
    Macrium USB
    It is the Rescue Disk , should you ever need it...... if you don't make it Macrium is basically useless, * ( at least in my eyes) Macrium can't help you if you don't have a Rescue Disk* made and updated to the same version of Macrium in Use...ie remake it every time you Update Macrium to a newer Version.

    * there is a boot Macrium Option but it is not necessary

    KB
      My Computers


  4. Posts : 114
    Windows 10 Pro 21H1
       #793

    Caledon Ken said:
    or SSD.
    Basically the rescue media is mainly for the full disaster, your boot drive dies, you have your Image, get new drive, boot rescue media and restore.
    Bree said:
    And if your drive with Macrium installed dies unexpectedly and you have to replace it with a blank new one, what then?
    That's when only the USB will do. Make one, and hope you'll never need it
    That is my main concern. My HDD drive died awhile back. I was using only a single drive for the OS & data. It would not boot but I could access the data. I got a new HDD, installed Windows 7, & copied the data to the new drive.

    I presumed MR needed to be on the drive that you wanted to make an image of. That the recovery media was what let you access the backup image on a different drive because it wouldn't do any good to have it on the failed drive.
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 24,562
    10 Home x64 (21H2) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)
       #794

    Mike100 said:
    I presumed MR needed to be on the drive that you wanted to make an image of....
    Well that's the easiest way to make an image of a system. But it's not the only way. You can boot any system from the recovery usb and use its copy of Macrium to make an image. I do that for systems that I don't want to install Macrium on.

    It's the first thing I do when I get hold of a second hand PC, before I even try to boot it from its own hard drive.
      My Computers


  6. Posts : 19,209
    W11+W11 Developer Insider + Linux
       #795

    Mike100 said:
    That is my main concern. My HDD drive died awhile back. I was using only a single drive for the OS & data. It would not boot but I could access the data. I got a new HDD, installed Windows 7, & copied the data to the new drive.

    I presumed MR needed to be on the drive that you wanted to make an image of. That the recovery media was what let you access the backup image on a different drive because it wouldn't do any good to have it on the failed drive.
    Once you make a rescue disk/USB in theory you could uninstall MR but it has other options that can be useful if it stays. You can for instance mount any image and pick data from it or even change things. Or you can make automatic backups in several ways. All of that is only possible if it stays installed.
      My Computers


  7. Posts : 271
    Windows 10 Pro 21H2 (19044.1706)
       #796

    Kbird said:
    * there is a boot Macrium Option but it is not necessary

    KB
    Not necessary but it is quicker. I usually restore using boot menu, USB is there for emergencies.
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 27,454
    Windows 10 Pro x64 Version 21H1
       #797

    Once you install Macrium on your installation of Windows (MR Free Version) you can Image any partition or collection of partitions that Windows has access to.

    The USB key provides you with Windows environment that will launch MR.

    MR has a built in option definition that Images all the necessary partitions to restore windows. This includes hidden, system, C: and recovery.

    My system is built with Data on a separate partition which has its own set of rules for backing up. (I use a mix of purchased and free Macrium)

    The free version of MR does not include some useful features like backing up a set of folders, incremental backuos (only differentials) or Image Guard.

    The free versions is robust enough for most needs. Should you decide to buy never pay full price. They always have 20% off sales and sometimes will even provide you with this discount if you contact them.
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 24,562
    10 Home x64 (21H2) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)
       #798

    Caledon Ken said:
    The free version of MR does not include some useful features like backing up a set of folders, incremental backuos (only differentials) or Image Guard.

    The free versions is robust enough for most needs. Should you decide to buy never pay full price. They always have 20% off sales and sometimes will even provide you with this discount if you contact them.

    The Free version is just as robust as the paid for version, it IS the paid for version - just with a licence key that turns off the Premium features. I used Free for years before I bought Home. Then I upgraded my Free to Home just by changing the licence key.

    If you are prepared to wait, you can do better than a 20% discount. I got a 50% discount on Black Friday.
      My Computers


  10. Posts : 5,816
    Win 11 Pro (x64) 21H2
       #799

    Bree said:
    If you are prepared to wait, you can do better than a 20% discount. I got a 50% discount on Black Friday.
    Is that subscription or perpetual? Is the subscription just for the cloud based backup services?

    Thanks
      My Computers


 

Tutorial Categories

Backup and Restore with Macrium Reflect Tutorial Index Network & Sharing Instalation and Upgrade Browsers and Email General Tips Gaming Customization Apps and Features Virtualization BSOD System Security User Accounts Hardware and Drivers Updates and Activation Backup and Restore Performance and Maintenance Mixed Reality Phone


  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:13.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums