Backup and Restore with Macrium Reflect  

Page 69 of 108 FirstFirst ... 1959676869707179 ... LastLast
  1. kado897's Avatar
    Posts : 39,496
    Windows 10 Home 64bit v20H2 and insider builds
       #680

    Hoosier Daddy said:
    Sort of a side question, but I'm still confused about why Macrium only mentions RD related to Clone and Restore but not Backup. I don't see any reason it couldn't apply to backups and since backups are done many many many more times than restores, why RD isn't mentioned for Backup. Is it an oversight, or they use some other term that means the same with Backup, or there is something so different between Clone and Backup that makes RD possible for Clone but not for Backup?

    I am very concerned about the lifespan of the SSDs. When only a few bytes of a file are changed, restoring just the blocks that changed as opposed to the entire file would make a massive difference in the lifespan of the SSD.
    RDR - Rapid Delta Restore. The clue is in the name. It's the restore equivalent of Incremental or Differential backups.
      My Computer

  2. Caledon Ken's Avatar
    Posts : 24,242
    Windows 10 Pro x64 Version 2004
       #681

    I don't think I would worry about SSD lifespan. Leave some free space and enjoy.

    I've had an ssd running as boot system disk for at least four years and it is still going strong.
      My Computer

  3. f14tomcat's Avatar
    Posts : 53,175
    Multi-boot Windows 10 - RTM, RP, Beta, and Insider
       #682

    Hoosier Daddy said:
    Sort of a side question, but I'm still confused about why Macrium only mentions RD related to Clone and Restore but not Backup. I don't see any reason it couldn't apply to backups and since backups are done many many many more times than restores, why RD isn't mentioned for Backup. Is it an oversight, or they use some other term that means the same with Backup, or there is something so different between Clone and Backup that makes RD possible for Clone but not for Backup?

    I am very concerned about the lifespan of the SSDs. When only a few bytes of a file are changed, restoring just the blocks that changed as opposed to the entire file would make a massive difference in the lifespan of the SSD.
    The backup portion of MR uses compression after it has determined what needs to be backed up. In the case of a Full backup, it is all blocks, with no regard to the actual files or file content. Compression is normally in the 60% range, depending on the data. For an Incremental or Differential, it first determines what blocks have changed, and only compresses and backs up them. There is no Rapid Delta involved in the Backup process. Only the compression and/or the changed data for incremental/differential are used to speed things up. RD comes into play during Restore when it compares the index of saved blocks to existing blocks and restores only the changed ones.

    Hope this helps to explain a little. The Rapid only pertains to the Restore operation.
      My Computers

  4. kado897's Avatar
    Posts : 39,496
    Windows 10 Home 64bit v20H2 and insider builds
       #683

    f14tomcat said:
    The backup portion of MR uses compression after it has determined what needs to be backed up. In the case of a Full backup, it is all blocks, with no regard to the actual files or file content. Compression is normally in the 60% range, depending on the data. For an Incremental or Differential, it first determines what blocks have changed, and only compresses and backs up them. There is no Rapid Delta involved in the Backup process. Only the compression and/or the changed data for incremental/differential are used to speed things up. RD comes into play during Restore when it compares the index of saved blocks to existing blocks and restores only the changed ones.

    Hope this helps to explain a little. The Rapid only pertains to the Restore operation.
    And if you think about it a clone is a backup and restore combined. The RDR determines which blocks are cloned.
      My Computer

  5. Bree's Avatar
    Posts : 18,733
    10 Home x64 (20H2) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)
       #684

    Hoosier Daddy said:
    Sort of a side question, but I'm still confused about why Macrium only mentions RD related to Clone and Restore but not Backup. I don't see any reason it couldn't apply to backups ... Is it an oversight, or they use some other term that means the same with Backup...?
    I am very concerned about the lifespan of the SSDs.....

    To backup an SSD you are reading from it, so no endurance worries there. It's only writes that reduce the lifespan, you can read from them as many times as you want..

    There is an equivalent process for backups, it's called Macrium Reflect Changed Block Tracker (MRCBT). This is Premium feature, not enabled in Free. It speeds up the backup for differentials or incrementals.

    Macrium Changed Block Tracker - KnowledgeBase v7.2 - Macrium Reflect Knowledgebase
      My Computers

  6. CountMike's Avatar
    Posts : 18,369
    W10+Developer Insider + Linux
       #685

    I wouldn't worry about SSD endurance, they are quite long lived nowadays. I have 6 years old one which I used a lot for experimenting and it has several times more writes than it was predicted to last, it's still working as new. I'm still backing up to HDDs though but that's only because large SSDs are still relatively expensive and I have bunch of large HDDs.
      My Computers

  7. kado897's Avatar
    Posts : 39,496
    Windows 10 Home 64bit v20H2 and insider builds
       #686

    Bree said:
    To backup an SSD you are reading from it, so no endurance worries there. It's only writes that reduce the lifespan, you can read from them as many times as you want..

    There is an equivalent process for backups, it's called Macrium Reflect Changed Block Tracker (MRCBT). This is Premium feature, not enabled in Free. It speeds up the backup for differentials or incrementals.

    Macrium Changed Block Tracker - KnowledgeBase v7.2 - Macrium Reflect Knowledgebase
    One of these days I must get back to testing that again now that it survives across sessions. Was no good for anyone who shuts down frequently before.
      My Computer

  8. Hoosier Daddy's Avatar
    Posts : 32
    Windows 10 Pro 64
       #687

    Bree said:
    To backup an SSD you are reading from it, so no endurance worries there. It's only writes that reduce the lifespan, you can read from them as many times as you want..

    There is an equivalent process for backups, it's called Macrium Reflect Changed Block Tracker (MRCBT). This is Premium feature, not enabled in Free. It speeds up the backup for differentials or incrementals.

    Macrium Changed Block Tracker - KnowledgeBase v7.2 - Macrium Reflect Knowledgebase
    That is VERY informative.

    Sounds like I should buy the Home version and compare RDRs from Backups with and without MCBT turned on to decide if I want to keep MCBT turned on. If the number of blocks restored are significantly reduced with MCBT, I'll almost certainly leave it on but if it just reduces the time it takes Reflect to determine which blocks need to be restored, I'll probably leave it turned off if my scenario restores are fast enough for my needs without it. Keep it simple. Why count on something like MCBT to never mess up if the payback isn't worth it.
      My Computer

  9. Caledon Ken's Avatar
    Posts : 24,242
    Windows 10 Pro x64 Version 2004
       #688

    If you buy contacts Sales and see if they have any sales on or if they are prepared to offer a discount. That is how I bought mine. On a number of occasion they have offered 20%.

    Back on Black Friday they had a 50% discount running. Maybe we see a similar sale at Christmas.
      My Computer

  10. Hoosier Daddy's Avatar
    Posts : 32
    Windows 10 Pro 64
       #689

    kado897 said:
    One of these days I must get back to testing that again now that it survives across sessions. Was no good for anyone who shuts down frequently before.
    If that's the case, MCBT won't help me because I will be restoring from Macrium Reflect Recovery rather than the running system because that is the only way malware couldn't survive. If Malware is running when the drive with back ups is mounted, that drive could be compromised. But since it sounds like MCBT was just icing for my cake, I can live without it unless its the only way that RDR can just restore changed blocks.

    For testing I intend to:

    1. Mount the drive I do backups to.
    2. Take a Reflect Incremental or Differential backup for other drives attached to the system.
    3. Dismount the drive backups are on.
    4. Run tests.
    5. Shut down the system.
    6. Boot Reflect Recovery from a thumb drive.
    7. Mount the backup drive.
    8. Do an RDR for the drives backed up in step 2.
    9. Reboot the restored system with all drives exactly like they were at the start of this process.
      My Computer


 
Page 69 of 108 FirstFirst ... 1959676869707179 ... LastLast

Tutorial Categories

Backup and Restore with Macrium Reflect Tutorial Index Network & Sharing Instalation and Upgrade Browsers and Email General Tips Gaming Customization Apps and Features Virtualization BSOD System Security User Accounts Hardware and Drivers Updates and Activation Backup and Restore Performance and Maintenance Mixed Reality Phone


  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:56.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums