Backup and Restore with Macrium Reflect  

  1. cereberus's Avatar
    Posts : 12,014
    Windows10
       #520

    Kari said:
    There's no confusion here.

    If your plan is let's say a monthly full, weekly differential, and daily incremental, an incremental would for instance be created day after the full, if that day would not be scheduled for weekly differential. If it would be scheduled for weekly differential, incremental would not be created, but it would be created day after that, based on the differential day before.

    Differential is always based on last full, and incremental on whatever last backup, be it full, differential or incremental.

    Kari
    Actually, you can create branches with incrementals. It just depends which backup you choose to "restore" first. Then it gets confusing.
      My Computer

  2. Kari's Avatar
    Posts : 17,434
    Windows 10 Pro
    Thread Starter
       #521

    cereberus said:
    Actually, you can create branches with incrementals. It just depends which backup you choose to "restore" first. Then it gets confusing.
    You missed my point.

    You said: "Incremental backups contain changes since last incremental backup."

    As such, that statement is not true. If it were true, where would the first incremental come from, if the next one could only contain changes since previous incremental?

    In all backup plans, and in all scenarios, also in "branches", an incremental can follow another incremental, a differential, or a full backup.

    Kari
      My Computer

  3. cereberus's Avatar
    Posts : 12,014
    Windows10
       #522

    Kari said:
    You missed my point.

    You said: "Incremental backups contain changes since last incremental backup."

    As such, that statement is not true. If it were true, where would the first incremental come from, if the next one could only contain changes since previous incremental?

    In all backup plans, and in all scenarios, also in "branches", an incremental can follow another incremental, a differential, or a full backup.

    Kari
    I got your point. Was just saying that you can make very complicated backups i.e more than just daisy chains. I was simplifying to explain to OP basic difference but I know it can be more complicated.
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 103
    Windows 10 Pro
       #523

    Based on the drives you choose to backup, will Macrium tell you how much space on the destination drive is needed?

    Is it common for people to backup user profiles along with system, or do they use some other method of backing up user profiles?
      My Computer

  5. CountMike's Avatar
    Posts : 18,369
    W10+Developer Insider + Linux
       #524

    perkinw said:
    Based on the drives you choose to backup, will Macrium tell you how much space on the destination drive is needed?

    Is it common for people to backup user profiles along with system, or do they use some other method of backing up user profiles?
    Count on about 75 -80% of total data chosen to back up.
      My Computers

  6. Caledon Ken's Avatar
    Posts : 24,242
    Windows 10 Pro x64 Version 2004
       #525

    When I back up my C:drive I backup the entire drive and all the other Windows partitions. No exclusions.

    I keep all my personal files, Documents, downloads, music, etc on a separate partition. The forum has a tutorial on how to move these.

    Each backup definition (how often, type of backup, retention) can then be targeted to a specific purpose.

    Your compression values will vary depending on source.
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 1
    varies
       #526

    Can a drive image be created from the USB recovery media?


    My scenario Is that I have a new PC with a smallish M.2 drive. I would like to image it and clone the image to a larger drive without first booting the PC.
    Is it possible if I have created a USB bootable drive with the Macrium software?
    Thanks in advance for your reply and help.
      My Computer

  8. ignatzatsonic's Avatar
    Posts : 2,406
    Windows 10 Home, 64-bit
       #527

    goodoldfriend said:
    My scenario Is that I have a new PC with a smallish M.2 drive. I would like to image it and clone the image to a larger drive without first booting the PC.
    Is it possible if I have created a USB bootable drive with the Macrium software?
    You can do this:

    Install Macrium on your smallish drive.

    Make the bootable recovery USB flash drive within Macrium. Confirm it will boot your PC.

    Make the image file in Macrium and store it on some other drive, probably external.

    Shut down and reboot from the bootable flash drive you just made, not the hard drive.

    That will lead you to the Macrium interface.

    Use Macrium menus to restore the image file you just made to the larger drive.

    That isn't "cloning". Cloning is a possibility, but a different operation that does NOT involve making an image file. Either might work, but I'd try imaging first.
      My Computer

  9. sbh7600's Avatar
    Posts : 294
    Windows 10 - Ver: 20H2 - Build: 19042.804
       #528

    Kari said:
    Incremental Backup / Image
    (Not available in Free edition!) An incremental backup checks what has been changed since the last backup regardless if the last backup was full, differential or incremental and only saves those changes. When restoring an incremental backup all differential and incremental images and full backup image must be available on same folder on backup storage drive.
    Incremental images can be really small. An example: if you take daily incremental backups and today you just browsed the web and got a few emails but did not download or install anything, today's incremental backup is only a few kilobytes, a megabyte or two max.
    I noticed this is avalible in free edition aswell.
      My Computer

  10. kado897's Avatar
    Posts : 39,496
    Windows 10 Home 64bit v20H2 and insider builds
       #529

    sbh7600 said:
    I noticed this is avalible in free edition aswell.
    Nope it's not. The menu option is there but selecting it produces this popup...

    Backup and Restore with Macrium Reflect-image-002.png
      My Computer


 

Tutorial Categories

Backup and Restore with Macrium Reflect Tutorial Index Network & Sharing Instalation and Upgrade Browsers and Email General Tips Gaming Customization Apps and Features Virtualization BSOD System Security User Accounts Hardware and Drivers Updates and Activation Backup and Restore Performance and Maintenance Mixed Reality Phone


  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 14:02.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums