Backup and Restore with Macrium Reflect  

Page 30 of 108 FirstFirst ... 2028293031324080 ... LastLast
  1. cereberus's Avatar
    Posts : 12,014
    Windows10
       #290

    reddice said:
    Thanks. I might want to purchase the home version however none of the coupon codes I find googling online work to get a discount. Still might be worth it for $70 for one user.
    It was 40% off on Black Friday :-(!!
      My Computer

  2. cereberus's Avatar
    Posts : 12,014
    Windows10
       #291

    fdegrove said:
    Hi,

    MR takes a volume snapshot using MS's VSS engine and works from there. So, basically it "owns" the system while it's doing its job.
    It's "shadow copying".

    As a user Windows won't let you access certain folders and files, not even as an admin but the MR package is overrule rights and that's how it gets the job done.


    Cheers,
    Virtually all the main players work like this now (or use their own version of vss).

    It is funny, even now you still get articles/posts on web saying you need to boot to something like clonezilla (do not touch with bargepole now) to make image backups of C drive claiming you cannot backup OS drive from Windows. Others say you can but it is not reliable.

    I have only ever had a single case of a backup failing from Windows and that turned out to be due to a failing drive. The only time I have seen issues is when VSS is not working properly on PC in first place which is quite rare.

    I just set backups running hidden in background and carry on using PC (although I must admit I have forgotten on odd occasion I was doing a backup and rebooted pc - LOL).

    Of course, if you want to run backups to a schedule, you HAVE TO run backup from Windows.
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 1,868
    W10 pro x64 20H2 Build 19042.610
       #292

    I'm still puzzled (sorry to bring this up again) why no one seems to mention that Windows VSS routine as used not only by Windows but other vendors as well such as AOMEI and Macrium WILL NOT correctly restore a PC to the condition it was in when the backup was made.

    The problem is that some files are excluded, some of which may not seem important such as Windows Update history. Others are very important if (like me) you spent a considerable time creating custom image galleries using the default Windows applications. All those custom files and albums are not restored correctly.

    The fix in 3rd party applications is simple, switch from their default use of Microsofts VSS routine to their own. Problem solved.

    Why does no one acknowledge this, either users or 3rd party vendors ? and why does no one seem to care ? That's what really puzzles me :)

    Backup and Restore with Macrium Reflect-vss.jpg
      My Computer

  4. cereberus's Avatar
    Posts : 12,014
    Windows10
       #293

    Mooly said:
    I'm still puzzled (sorry to bring this up again) why no one seems to mention that Windows VSS routine as used not only by Windows but other vendors as well such as AOMEI and Macrium WILL NOT correctly restore a PC to the condition it was in when the backup was made.

    The problem is that some files are excluded, some of which may not seem important such as Windows Update history. Others are very important if (like me) you spent a considerable time creating custom image galleries using the default Windows applications. All those custom files and albums are not restored correctly.

    The fix in 3rd party applications is simple, switch from their default use of Microsofts VSS routine to their own. Problem solved.

    Why does no one acknowledge this, either users or 3rd party vendors ? and why does no one seem to care ? That's what really puzzles me :)

    Backup and Restore with Macrium Reflect-vss.jpg
    If this is an issue, and you are a Macrium Home user, why not report it to Macrium.

    Of course, most programs do not backup temporary files.

    As a thought, one of Macrium's backup modes is to use bit copy rather than smart sector copying. Have you tried that - backups will be larger though?
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 1,868
    W10 pro x64 20H2 Build 19042.610
       #294

    cereberus said:
    If this is an issue, and you are a Macrium Home user, why not report it to Macrium.
    I did actually report this to Macrium around 16 months ago and received a helpful reply.

    ..................It sounds like the problem could be with Volume shadow Copy. Reflect primarily uses this to create a snapshot, if the issue is also present in the "built in" Windows backup utility this confirms the cause. Enabling the option to "Exclude all VSS Writers" will force Reflect to use a basic writer or fail back to using our custom snapshot mechanism.

    If you are not running a server with Exchange and SQL you will not notice any difference................
    I'm just looking back on previous correspondence with AOMEI because I reported this issue to them as well, and this was actually further back in time.

    Hmmm... I noted that AOMEI fixed the issue of Windows Update history not being backed up and it also appeared that restored images also had the correct photo gallery files correctly restored.

    I must check that at some point and try some images using the default VSS with AOMEI.
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 1,104
    win 10 pro x64 os build 20H2
       #295

    just did this with free macrium thanks for the great tutorial :)
      My Computer

  7. reddice's Avatar
    Posts : 615
    Windows 10 Pro x64
       #296

    I don't know how I lived without this program. I have been having a bad week with Windows 10. Removing things I should to try to improve performance to fix a network printer issue (W10 fault as it the stupid printer goes offline after a while anyway) but thanks to this program I have not had to reinstall windows from scratch since. I just hope the past week restoring my image the one from 12/15/2017 won't wear out my SSD drive out I just restored again today.
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 1,104
    win 10 pro x64 os build 20H2
       #297

    i just used the free version made a backup and made the rescue media :) at least know i know i'm protected in case i loose another hard drive :).
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 187
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
       #298

    Can I use the latest 6 version without issues on 10 1709?
      My Computer

  10. cereberus's Avatar
    Posts : 12,014
    Windows10
       #299

    Pipppero2007 said:
    Can I use the latest 6 version without issues on 10 1709?
    Sure version 6 will work fine but I recommend using latest version 7 - it is very good.
      My Computer


 
Page 30 of 108 FirstFirst ... 2028293031324080 ... LastLast

Tutorial Categories

Backup and Restore with Macrium Reflect Tutorial Index Network & Sharing Instalation and Upgrade Browsers and Email General Tips Gaming Customization Apps and Features Virtualization BSOD System Security User Accounts Hardware and Drivers Updates and Activation Backup and Restore Performance and Maintenance Mixed Reality Phone


  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 14:08.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums