Backup and Restore with Macrium Reflect  


  1. Posts : 50,055
    Windows 10 Home 64bit 21H1 and insider builds
       #260

    Jimmyb said:
    I have just done a backup of my NAS with Macrium Reflect Home, just use the "Create a File and Folder Backup", navigate to the network drive, select the folders and its job done, very pleased.
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 63
    windows10
       #261

    I would like to keep the Windows system backups separate from user data (pics, videos, etc.) backups. So, differential backups for the Windows system and user data will be kept separately ?
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 50,055
    Windows 10 Home 64bit 21H1 and insider builds
       #262

    clk1946 said:
    I would like to keep the Windows system backups separate from user data (pics, videos, etc.) backups. So, differential backups for the Windows system and user data will be kept separately ?
    You can store the backup files anywhere you want unlike windows images. As far a MR and Windows is concerned they are just files and you can separate them into different folders for your needs. The only restriction is that the related differentials have to be in the same folder as the full image that they are based on. I personally wouldn't use imaging to back up data files but that's just my opinion.
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 63
    windows10
       #263

    I also wouldn't use imaging for data files.
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 14,801
    Windows10
       #264

    kado897 said:
    You can store the backup files anywhere you want unlike windows images. As far a MR and Windows is concerned they are just files and you can separate them into different folders for your needs. The only restriction is that the related differentials have to be in the same folder as the full image that they are based on. I personally wouldn't use imaging to back up data files but that's just my opinion.
    OP is using Macrium Reflect Home not Free. That has a option to backup Files and Folders only. It is a perfectly fine way to backup data and saves space. Image can be mounted as a drive and individual files recovered as well.
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 50,055
    Windows 10 Home 64bit 21H1 and insider builds
       #265

    cereberus said:
    OP is using Macrium Reflect Home not Free. That has a option to backup Files and Folders only. It is a perfectly fine way to backup data and saves space. Image can be mounted as a drive and individual files recovered as well.
    Ah missed that. Thought he was on free.
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 63
    windows10
       #266

    I am using free Macrium reflect for saving/restoring system images, and will continue using Microsoft's file history for data backup/restore.
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 3,859
    Windows 11 Pro 22H2
       #267

    I like Macrium for imaging and Backup and Restore (Windows 7) for all else, I find it less intrusive than File History.
      My Computers


  9. Posts : 180
    Windows 10
       #268

    I've created my very first Macrium image and rescue USB Drive. I now want to test the USB rescue media works and that it can actually find the image on the external hard Drive. How would I back-out of this in order to reboot back to Windows as normal because obviously I don't want to restore anything. Is there like a cancel button somewhere?
      My Computer


  10. Posts : 19,483
    W11+W11 Developer Insider + Linux
       #269

    Runnerbean said:
    I've created my very first Macrium image and rescue USB Drive. I now want to test the USB rescue media works and that it can actually find the image on the external hard Drive. How would I back-out of this in order to reboot back to Windows as normal because obviously I don't want to restore anything. Is there like a cancel button somewhere?
    Just boot of the rescue usb and choose to validate the image. If it validates , there's no reason it wouldn't work when needed.
      My Computers


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 23:46.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums