Windows 10: Backup and Restore with Macrium Reflect  

Page 25 of 43 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast

  1. Posts : 34,478
    Triple boot - Win 10 Pro, Win 10 Pro Insider (2) - (and a sprinkling of VMs)
       06 Oct 2017 #240

    Jimmyb said: View Post
    I have a question:
    When I have restored W7 from a windows image, it not only reformatted my OS drive and partition, but the other drives on the computer, leaving the partition and other drives blank.
    I have a duel boot (W7 and W10) from two drives, if I create an image of one of the OS with reflect, and then restore, will it format ALL the drives connected, leaving them all blank (except for the restored drive), and if so would you recommend disconnecting the other drives before restoring, or will just re-image the selected drive.
    @Jimmyb

    Macrium will only restore those partitions that were included in the image backup (the .mrimg file). Not clear on the first line of your post. Was that using Windows Image Backup? That is being deprecated and possibly removed entirely in the new Fall Creators Update release.

    Short answer, not sure why that restore of Win 7 would have reformatted and erased your drives, Macrium will not do that. It will only restore what was backed up. And, no, it's not necessary to disconnect other drives when restoring with Macrium.

    Hope this helps. TC
    Last edited by f14tomcat; 06 Oct 2017 at 04:57.
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 19,623
    Windows 10 Home 64bit
       06 Oct 2017 #241

    Jimmyb said: View Post
    I have a question:
    When I have restored W7 from a windows image, it not only reformatted my OS drive and partition, but the other drives on the computer, leaving the partition and other drives blank.
    I have a duel boot (W7 and W10) from two drives, if I create an image of one of the OS with reflect, and then restore, will it format ALL the drives connected, leaving them all blank (except for the restored drive), and if so would you recommend disconnecting the other drives before restoring, or will just re-image the selected drive.
    It will restore only the partitions you select and leave the others untouched.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    06 Oct 2017 #242

    I have triple BOOT of W7, W10 and Mint on 3 disks and restored each one without problems many times. Actually I have 2 W7 backups, each with own set of programs/games that I alternate periodically. (too cheep to by another SSD).
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  4. Posts : 90
    Microsoft Windows 10 Home 64-bit/Windows 7 dual boot
       06 Oct 2017 #243

    f14tomcat said: View Post
    @Jimmyb

    Macrium will only restore those partitions that were included in the image backup (the .mrimg file). Not clear on the first line of your post. Was that using Windows Image Backup? That is being deprecated and possibly removed entirely in the new Fall Creators Update release.

    Short answer, not sure why that restore of Win 7 would have reformatted and erased your drives, Macrium will not do that. It will only restore what was backed up. And, no, it's not necessary to disconnect other drives when restoring with Macrium.

    Hope this helps. TC
    Many thanks this is the answer I was hoping for.
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  5. Posts : 90
    Microsoft Windows 10 Home 64-bit/Windows 7 dual boot
       07 Oct 2017 #244

    So I have now backed-up my hard drives and now wish to back up my NAS, however it does not appear in the Reflect Screen, I am running the free version, will I need to pay to see network drives?
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  6. Posts : 19,623
    Windows 10 Home 64bit
       07 Oct 2017 #245

    Jimmyb said: View Post
    So I have now backed-up my hard drives and now wish to back up my NAS, however it does not appear in the Reflect Screen, I am running the free version, will I need to pay to see network drives?
    It doesn't really make sense to image a NAS from Windows as you can only see shares which are not like a drive or a partition. You really need to do a file and folder backups which are available on the paid versions.

    Although I have a paid version I prefer FreeFileSync for this (be careful of the installer it will try to install unwanted programs). Microsoft's SyncToy which is also free may be a safer although less able alternative.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  7. Posts : 14,195
    Windows 10 Pro
    Thread Starter
       13 Oct 2017 #246

    Today 20% discount:

      My ComputerSystem Spec


  8. Posts : 90
    Microsoft Windows 10 Home 64-bit/Windows 7 dual boot
       13 Oct 2017 #247

    Can I assume the Home version will meet all my back-up needs, i.e. it will back-up my NAS!!
    If so with 20% discount I may just have to rush out to buy it.
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  9. Posts : 4,843
    Win 10 Pro x64
       13 Oct 2017 #248

    Jimmyb said: View Post
    So I have now backed-up my hard drives and now wish to back up my NAS, however it does not appear in the Reflect Screen, I am running the free version, will I need to pay to see network drives?
    Back up your NAS? Isn't NAS supposed to be the back-up itself? Or you just want to backup your backups?
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  10. Posts : 90
    Microsoft Windows 10 Home 64-bit/Windows 7 dual boot
       13 Oct 2017 #249

    NAS, Network Attached Storage is my soft store, not my back-up, it allows access to all of my data from numerous machines, without my main PC being switched on.
      My ComputersSystem Spec


 
Page 25 of 43 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast

Tutorial Categories

Backup and Restore with Macrium Reflect Tutorial Index Network & Sharing Instalation and Upgrade Browsers and Email General Tips Gaming Customization Apps and Features Virtualization BSOD System Security User Accounts Hardware and Drivers Updates and Activation Backup and Restore Performance and Maintenance Xbox Windows Phone


Related Threads
Solved Macrium Reflect Backup Failures in Backup and Restore
I noticed today that my daily Reflect backups had failed for the past three days, all with the same log file errors. The Reflect help file has an entry for VSS Error: 0x8004231f - Failed to Create Volume Snapshot. I started to research that,...
A couple of days ago Macrium was working just fine but then when it started it's daily backup of my system drive (incremental) it failed pretty well straight away, with this message: Starting Image - Friday, January 20, 2017...
I threw MACRIUM into the title because I knew it would get Caledon Ken's attention as he keeps recommending it. My problem with any kind of backups is that when you do so, you are copying all existing errors, bugs and other problems that exist,...
I've configured Reflect to automatically run full and differential backups to two drives as shown in the enclosed Reflect status report. 111247 The report says the last " full system backup to usb hdd" was run on 14/11/16 and was successful....
Hi there Trying to restore an image on to a RAID 0 SSD from stand alone version. After loading the RAID driver Macrium SEES all the HDD's and can select images etc. However when TARGET destination is chosen No HDD's are seen. !!! ...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 14:46.
Find Us