Windows 10: Backup and Restore with Macrium Reflect  

Page 16 of 43 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

  1. Posts : 368
    trying to install win10
       29 Mar 2017 #150

    Windows imaging has had a major update to support vhdx format. It works very well.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    29 Mar 2017 #151

    SIW2 said: View Post
    Windows imaging has had a major update to support vhdx format. It works very well.
    About the only one in many years then!
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  3. Posts : 368
    trying to install win10
       29 Mar 2017 #152

    Just used win10 pe to restore a system image made in win7.

    here are some options:

    WBADMIN START RECOVERY -version:03/29/2017-22:30 -itemType:Volume -items:c: -recoverytarget:d:
    WBADMIN START RECOVERY -version:03/29/2017-22:30 -itemType:App -items:Registry -recoverytarget:d:\
    WBADMIN START RECOVERY -version:03/29/2017-22:30 -itemType:File -items:d:\folder -recursive
    WBADMIN START RECOVERY -itemtype:hyperV -items:64A50294-D491-48D8-8FFB-6A97BC72B095
    -recoveryTarget:E:\recover -alternateLocation
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  4. Posts : 34,529
    Triple boot - Win 10 Pro, Win 10 Pro Insider (2) - (and a sprinkling of VMs)
       30 Mar 2017 #153

    SIW2 said: View Post
    Just used win10 pe to restore a system image made in win7.

    here are some options:

    WBADMIN START RECOVERY -version:03/29/2017-22:30 -itemType:Volume -items:c: -recoverytarget:d:
    WBADMIN START RECOVERY -version:03/29/2017-22:30 -itemType:App -items:Registry -recoverytarget:d:\
    WBADMIN START RECOVERY -version:03/29/2017-22:30 -itemType:File -items:d:\folder -recursive
    WBADMIN START RECOVERY -itemtype:hyperV -items:64A50294-D491-48D8-8FFB-6A97BC72B095
    -recoveryTarget:E:\recover -alternateLocation
    There is an existing Tutorial thread for the use of, and comments on, the Windows 7 Backup/Restore included in Windows 10.

    Create Windows Backup in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Backup Restore Tutorials [1]=Backup%20Restore

    Perhaps your post/comments regarding the process would be better served in that thread. This thread focuses on backup/restore using Macrium Reflect. New members and guests may not understand or be confused with the intermixing of the two.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  5.    03 Jun 2017 #154

    Since I am having troubles with my loved Restore Point, I want to use Macrium Free for a while (until I will get CU or until someone will fix the issue on the Anniversary).

    I am just a question that for me is very important: it's about CLOUD files.

    In the past, with the RP, I was free to restore my OS without problems about DATA.

    Now, with imaging, I will LOSE all my data until the last image made.

    I have a dedicated HD only for data but in the OS hard disk I have all my cloud services that are i.e. dropbox, Google drive, OneDrive, Apple, etc.

    My question is hard to answer because it's different between any Cloud, but I hope you will give me a direction with it:

    After the restore of the image the variuos Clouds that I use will think that i DELETED all the files that was not on the image (the newer) and will delete them from each clouds?

    If that scenario is what I say, it is AWFUL and absolutely not tollerable for me!!! I work with many devices with many cloud stuff and what will happen??? I will lose the recent work?
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  6. Posts : 4,845
    Win 10 Pro x64
       03 Jun 2017 #155

    Pipppero2007 said: View Post
    Since I am having troubles with my loved Restore Point, I want to use Macrium Free for a while (until I will get CU or until someone will fix the issue on the Anniversary).

    I am just a question that for me is very important: it's about CLOUD files.

    In the past, with the RP, I was free to restore my OS without problems about DATA.

    Now, with imaging, I will LOSE all my data until the last image made.

    I have a dedicated HD only for data but in the OS hard disk I have all my cloud services that are i.e. dropbox, Google drive, OneDrive, Apple, etc.

    My question is hard to answer because it's different between any Cloud, but I hope you will give me a direction with it:

    After the restore of the image the variuos Clouds that I use will think that i DELETED all the files that was not on the image (the newer) and will delete them from each clouds?

    If that scenario is what I say, it is AWFUL and absolutely not tollerable for me!!! I work with many devices with many cloud stuff and what will happen??? I will lose the recent work?
    I am under the impression that the cloud backup will govern and sync back all the missing files to your newly restored PC. Can someone also please confirm this?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    03 Jun 2017 #156

    badrobot said: View Post
    I am under the impression that the cloud backup will govern and sync back all the missing files to your newly restored PC. Can someone also please confirm this?
    Beacuse maybe the Cloud services understand if I file is DELETE or if is disappeared without a reason?

    If so, I am afraid that only very good services like Dropbox will be like that... but I am not sure even for it.

    For sure, I don't think the cloud by Apple for Windows will have a so sophisticated way to understand.

    BTW, since there is NO software better that Macrium Free and no software that can only recognize what is OS files and what is DATA FILE, I have no chance...
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  8. Posts : 19,684
    Windows 10 Home 64bit
       03 Jun 2017 #157

    I suspect that the missing files may be treated as deleted. It would be a risk but most cloud services would move the "deleted" files to their equivalent of the recycle bin. You would have to restore them manually. If you take frequent images this would reduce the work needed.

    It would also help if you didn't set your cloud syncs to autostart. Then you would have more control over what happens.

    Do you really need to keep your cloud files on the OS disk? It really would be preferable to move them if possible.

    BTW. Restore points are not a backup. You will be much more secure with a Macrium image.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9.    03 Jun 2017 #158

    I read that Macrium don't backup (in it's image) the Restore Point of Windows. Simply it did not recognize them good.

    Said so, If I restore an image with Macrium with dozens of GB in System recovery folder that will be not correctly recognized by the OS as Recovery Points and I will not able to delete them. In other terms they will occupy space in the HD (my SSD is small).

    IS my scenario real or Macrium "understand" the RP system folder?
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  10. Posts : 21,000
    Win10 Pro, Win10 Pro N, Win10 Home, Win10 Pro Insider Fast Ring, Windows 8.1 Pro, Ubuntu
       03 Jun 2017 #159

    Pipppero2007 said: View Post
    I read that Macrium don't backup (in it's image) the Restore Point of Windows. Simply it did not recognize them good.

    Said so, If I restore an image with Macrium with dozens of GB in System recovery folder that will be not correctly recognized by the OS as Recovery Points and I will not able to delete them. In other terms they will occupy space in the HD (my SSD is small).

    IS my scenario real or Macrium "understand" the RP system folder?
    All recovery points are, are Registry backups in a sense really.
    If you feel you really need them, after a re-image(which you won't/don't) you can always get Tweaking(.)com's registry backup: Registry Backup
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.png 
Views:	36 
Size:	207.8 KB 
ID:	137856
    which will also restore your registry should you muck something up, and that a lot better, and more reliably than Windows restore points:)

      My ComputersSystem Spec


 
Page 16 of 43 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Tutorial Categories

Backup and Restore with Macrium Reflect Tutorial Index Network & Sharing Instalation and Upgrade Browsers and Email General Tips Gaming Customization Apps and Features Virtualization BSOD System Security User Accounts Hardware and Drivers Updates and Activation Backup and Restore Performance and Maintenance Xbox Windows Phone


Related Threads
Solved Macrium Reflect Backup Failures in Backup and Restore
I noticed today that my daily Reflect backups had failed for the past three days, all with the same log file errors. The Reflect help file has an entry for VSS Error: 0x8004231f - Failed to Create Volume Snapshot. I started to research that,...
A couple of days ago Macrium was working just fine but then when it started it's daily backup of my system drive (incremental) it failed pretty well straight away, with this message: Starting Image - Friday, January 20, 2017...
I threw MACRIUM into the title because I knew it would get Caledon Ken's attention as he keeps recommending it. My problem with any kind of backups is that when you do so, you are copying all existing errors, bugs and other problems that exist,...
I've configured Reflect to automatically run full and differential backups to two drives as shown in the enclosed Reflect status report. 111247 The report says the last " full system backup to usb hdd" was run on 14/11/16 and was successful....
Hi there Trying to restore an image on to a RAID 0 SSD from stand alone version. After loading the RAID driver Macrium SEES all the HDD's and can select images etc. However when TARGET destination is chosen No HDD's are seen. !!! ...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:11.
Find Us