How to Use Lync app to Join Online Meeting as Guest without Lync Account
or as it is nowadays called Skype for Business
is a powerful instant messaging and video conferencing tool for organisational use, included in Office 365 for Business and Enterprise subscriptions and Microsoft Office Pro suites. This from Wikipedia
Although Lync requires an organisational account, the free Lync App
available at the Windows Store
can be used to join Lync / Skype for Business online meetings as a guest
without a Lync Account, if the meeting organizer has allowed external guest attendees. This tutorial will show how to install the Lync App and join an online meeting as a guest.
Install the Lync App
Search the Store for Lync
, download and install it:
It seems that at the moment the Lync App cannot be found in Windows Store when searched. However, the app is still there, you just need to use a workaround.
To find and get it, us this link (only work in Edge & IE): Lync App in Windows Store
It finds the app for you.
You will find the Lync App in Start Menu
> All Apps
Join an online meeting as Guest
When you are invited to join an online meeting and the meeting is starting, open the Lync App
and click Join a meeting
Enter your preferred screen name and the meeting URL, click Join
A security warning pops up. Although the domain lync.com
belongs to Microsoft
and is 100% safe, as you are signing in as a guest the system cannot check your sign-in address (Lync Account), thus asking if you will trust the connection. Click Yes
to join the meeting:
Participate in an online meeting
You will now be forwarded to the meeting stage
, see the numbered features explained below the screenshot:
- The Stage, showing the default avatars for the current presenter (top left) and you (top right)
- Click here to see the list of participants:
- You only need three of the five buttons here, buttons to toggle your microphone on / off (1st from the left), your webcam on / off (2nd from the left) and leave the meeting (1st from the right). When the microphone is turned on you can talk to all participants, turning the webcam on shows your webcam stream as your avatar. Other participants can also maximize your webcam stream to partial or full screen.
- This button opens the text chat. You can type using your keyboard:
... or if you are feeling artistic you can select the drawing tool:
... and draw your messages:
- Swipe from right to left (touch displays) or drag the stage from right to left to get to other parts of the stage
3.2) When you want to leave the meeting, click the Leave Meeting button or close the Lync App. You can always join the meeting again as long as the meeting is online.